PDA

View Full Version : Next trip - need help with Moderates!

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-01-2010, 01:59 PM
As we have only been home for 9 days, and I haven't even finished typing my trip reports, my DH has announced that we will not wait until 2012 to go back. In fact, we will take advantage of the free dining package and we are going again in September.

We are DVC members and have only stayed at Values (pre-dvc ownership) when staying on property. We are debating which resort to stay in. My DH has selected CSR. I am not sold on it yet mainly because I don't know enough about any of the moderates.

Please tell me what your favorites (or not so favorites) are and why please!!!:thumbsup:

btharvey
11-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Coronado Springs Resort for us ... they have queen-sized beds, which is (I think) unique among the moderates -- other moderates have doubles or sometimes kings. I'm a larger type person, and my DW is thankful for the queen beds.

Also, Pepper Market has the choices we're looking for in a playful atmosphere.

There can be a bit of walking to get where you're going, but bus stops are plentiful and it's pleasant.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
11-01-2010, 02:11 PM
We are staying at CBR in May. It's my wife's fave. She loves the atmosphere there. I like POFQ the best, because it is smaller, and seems quieter.

DisneyFr33k
11-01-2010, 02:15 PM
We just got back from our first moderate - Coronado Springs. We LOVED the rooms - queen beds were awesome. Also, the buses were half empty every time but once due to the large convention being held there. And Pepper Market is a wonderful cross between a table and counter service. Plus the variety of food offered there is unmatched to other resort food courts. There are 4 bus stops, so you never have to walk far. And, many guests that were far from the food court would hop on a bus and take it around to stop 1 so they wouldn't ahve to walk! We'd stay there again in a heart beat!

caryrae
11-01-2010, 02:19 PM
We did a split stay at CSR and POFQ last trip and we both liked POFQ better even though the rooms at CSR were updated and had queen size beds. CSR was a nice resort but we liked the small size and the look and feel of POFQ better. Also so the boat ride to DtD was very nice too. The Pepper Market at CSR seems to hit or miss with people, I thought it was OK but not great. There is a nice walking path between POFQ and PORS along the river if you want to visit either one. I did like the gift shop at CSR better.

Mousemates
11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
My answer is it depends...if it is just the two of you making the trip my hands down choice would be a king bed at POFQ (boats to downtown disney and the most romantic feel of any of the mods at WDW IMHO). However, if its more than the two of you I would likely go for the queen beds at CSR.

bcornette
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
If you won't be taking children I would go with PoFQ or CSR; if you are going with children I would stay at CBR or PoR.
My overall pick is CBR, new pool and rooms are nice and you can get a drink and chill in a hammock to relax.

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Let me add that it will be DH, my 2 DD's (5 and 3) and I.

No drama of other relatives, just the 4 of us! :cloud9:

Gator
11-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I haven't stayed at POFQ yet (because my wife says it looks like a cheap hotel), so I can't include that resort in my opinions.

My favorite is Coronado. It has the most beautiful theming of all the resorts for me. Also, on the dining plan, it has a great counter service. The bus stops are easy to get to, and there aren't too many stops. It's very close to DHS, Epcot, and AK. Also, they added queen beds, which adds a $5/night charge but it's well worth it.

Second is Carribean Beach. It's really close to Epcot and CSR, so bus drives are good. It has good theming, but not as good as CS IMHO. The food isn't as good either.

Dead last would be PORiverside. I probably would have liked it more had I got a mansion room. However, we got the Alligator Bayou, which I compare to an apartment complex in south Birmingham. The theming just isn't all that great. I thought it would be, but it just wasn't. The food is ok, kinda like CBR. It's pretty far from all the parks, so bus drives are a little longer.

Hope that helps.

GrmGrninGost
11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
POR for me! I like all the moderates, but this one I love! :mickey:

faline
11-03-2010, 07:35 PM
So...I'm guessing you're not using points for this next trip?? You haven't listed any DVC resorts...?

My favorite moderate is Coronado Springs. I love that they have queen beds and many of the amenities normally found at the deluxes.

We also liked Port Orleans French Quarter which we found to be quite quaint - but only if we can get a king bed room (double beds don't do it for me any more)!

Jennifer_and_Chris
11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
So...I'm guessing you're not using points for this next trip?? You haven't listed any DVC resorts...?

My favorite moderate is Coronado Springs. I love that they have queen beds and many of the amenities normally found at the deluxes.

We also liked Port Orleans French Quarter which we found to be quite quaint - but only if we can get a king bed room (double beds don't do it for me any more)!

We can only do DVC if we can get points transfered. I'm kind of leary about doing that so, we're still talking about that option. We have a few days left to decide if we go with the package or go for the points transfer. We are really saving all of our points for the 2012 to do a grand villa or at the very least Treehouses.

JabberJaws
11-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I think if it is just the two of you then definitely POFQ. It is the more "laid back" and intimate of the moderates. Hey, it is where I proposed to my wife (well actually during one of the carriage rides that goes between POFQ and PORS but still).

CSR is the nicest, but being the biggest convention facility on property it can get a little crazy at times.

CBR is nice too, but the most family-oriented of the moderates.

GoofyforFun
11-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Our choice was always CBR.. the atmosphere and if you get a resort just over the bridge is a plus- we love it there. But now with the kids being 12, 9 ,5 we need to look at other resorts :ill:
But of course we will see other choices and see what will work for our family..or Inlaws come and we ship some kids with them.:number1:

hubbyofadisneyholic
11-06-2010, 02:56 PM
For me POR would be #1 as long as you are in the Mansions.
If you get exiled to Alligator Bayou you can be so far out it feels like you are in a different zip code.

CSR and POFQ would be a close 2nd. Both have plenty of positives and limited negatives.

CBR would literally be a last resort.

buzznwoodysmom
11-06-2010, 11:08 PM
We've stayed at all 4 moderates. Our most recent trip was last weekend at POFQ. It was one of the resorts I'd said for a long time that we'd probably never try because we are from Louisiana, and that theme isn't really what we are looking for on vacation. However, after last weekend its now my favorite mod. resort. It was so quiet and quaint. I loved how small it was compared to other resorts. We were lucky enough to be in building 5 (prefered) which looked out at the hot tub, pool, laundry room and playground. We were a very short walk to the food court, lobby, and gift shop. We were also very close to the boat launch, and not a far walk at all to the parking lot and bus stop. We've stayed at many resorts (all but one of the values, all the mods, and several of the deluxe resorts, as well as a few DVC resorts) and POFQ was by far the easiest to get around. Our biggest complaint came from my sons (10 and 8). They thought the pool and slide were not as fun as at other mod and deluxe resorts, but with your kid's ages I think it would be just fine. My boys like long, fast slides, and this slide just wasn't long or fast enough for them. We did go over to Riverside one day to use their pool and the boys were very happy with that. That's another plus to staying at POFQ, you also have access to the pool area at POR. And we loved the boat ride to DTD. To be honest the only Moderate resort we didn't like, and likely won't go back to was POR. We just didn't care for it. We really enjoyed CSR and CBR. If I left it up to my kids to pick a moderate resort they'd probably pick CBR. They loved the pirate themes and it has their favorite pool.

Tinkerbella16
11-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Having stayed at all the moderates, I have to say that my favorite is POFQ. I have praised this resort on almost all the threads that people have asked about it. It is just perfect to me with the small size...no matter what room you are in you are close to everything. The place was quiet the entire week we were there. The foodcourt during rush hours was always quiet and never crowded. We love the boat transportation to DTD since we love going there in the evenings...it is such a nice ride. I also enjoyed the sitting in the lounge one evening while a jazz man played his instruments...not sure what his name was. We have stayed at all the values and moderate resorts in WDW for years now and I have to say that my trip in 2008 at POFQ was the most relaxing because of the resort. :mickey:

Silver_Surfer
11-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm staying at the Carribean Beach this May. I let my son pick the resort. After all the trip is mostly for him.:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
11-14-2010, 07:47 PM
POFQ gets my vote :thumbsup:

Hair_Razor
11-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Just chose POFQ for this trip never been to this resort, but it sounds like we'll enjoy it! :mickey:

RAIDER
11-15-2010, 08:56 AM
CBR for me ....Its a very relaxing place :thumbsup:

buzz2001
11-15-2010, 09:12 AM
I definitely recommend CSR! The queen beds alone make it the best bang for the buck.

EeyoresBestFriend
11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Definitely NOT French Quarter . . . .

Terrible place ~ ANY other moderate is better ~

Really . . . . we don't want people to find out how nice it is . . . :D :D

By my signature, you can tell where my second home is :cloud9: Nuff said!! :D