PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be a Grandma!

Cinderelley
11-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Still in a little state of :jaw:, but I started thinking about when I can take my first grandchild to Disney World. For any grandparents out there who have done it, what do you think the ideal age would be for me to take my grandchild for his/her first trip to the World sans parents?

vizsla
11-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Congrats :thumbsup:

Disney Hungarian
11-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Congratulations!

BrerGnat
11-01-2010, 02:00 PM
...what do you think the ideal age would be for me to take my grandchild for his/her first trip to the World sans parents?

When the parents say so. ;)

Congratulations by the way!

I just had to chime in from the other side. I know my parents would LOVE to have my kids for a vacation on their own, but I won't allow it. They are both special needs, and unfortunately, my parents have not really stepped up to try to learn about their issues and I don't feel they are capable of handling them on their own for an extended period of time. It's sad, but true. Maybe when they are much older, but not yet (they are 4 and 6 now).

I would say, for most kids (without "issues"), probably around 5 would be ideal to go with grandparents alone. At that age, they are more independent, can communicate well, and generally understand rules and behavioral requirements. In addition, they don't really need a stroller anymore, and are out of the "baby" phase (plus, they are potty trained!). :thumbsup: I'd aim for around 5 years old.

Cinderelley
11-01-2010, 02:40 PM
When the parents say so. ;)

Congratulations by the way!

I just had to chime in from the other side. I know my parents would LOVE to have my kids for a vacation on their own, but I won't allow it. They are both special needs, and unfortunately, my parents have not really stepped up to try to learn about their issues and I don't feel they are capable of handling them on their own for an extended period of time. It's sad, but true. Maybe when they are much older, but not yet (they are 4 and 6 now).

I would say, for most kids (without "issues"), probably around 5 would be ideal to go with grandparents alone. At that age, they are more independent, can communicate well, and generally understand rules and behavioral requirements. In addition, they don't really need a stroller anymore, and are out of the "baby" phase (plus, they are potty trained!). :thumbsup: I'd aim for around 5 years old.

I've had my son's blessing to do it since he started thinking about having kids. Lol

Potty trained definitely has its advantages. :D

BrerGnat
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
I've had my son's blessing to do it since he started thinking about having kids. Lol

Potty trained definitely has its advantages. :D

No stroller ALSO has its advantages. :thumbsup:

bostonsam
11-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Congratulations!:) my mom spoils my 2 but it's a grandparent's job;) right!?

azdisneymom
11-01-2010, 11:06 PM
:woohoo: :congrats: You will be a terrific Grandma!! Sorry, can't help with your question but I didn't take my own kids to Disneyland until they were in 1st and 3rd grade. We didn't go to WDW until they were in middle school.

Whatever age is right for your family - have fun!!!

Disney4us2
11-02-2010, 11:05 AM
:baby::congrats::woohoo: I am sure you are on :cloud9:.

Georgesgirl1
11-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Congrats! My parents took us all to WDW when DS was 6 months old. I don't know if I will ever be okay with my kids going to WDW without me. Not that I don't trust my parents, but b/c I don't want anyone going to WDW without me!!!

Cinderelley
11-02-2010, 11:33 PM
Congrats! My parents took us all to WDW when DS was 6 months old. I don't know if I will ever be okay with my kids going to WDW without me. Not that I don't trust my parents, but b/c I don't want anyone going to WDW without me!!!

Lol I share the sentiment.

Cinderelley
11-02-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm thinking maybe 4. The baby will be potty-trained, able to talk and interact with others, but I can take him/her during the slower time where others are in school. My youngest is 16 though, so it has been a long time since I've dealt with a 4 year old.

magicofdisney
11-03-2010, 08:44 AM
I want to say what an incredible blessing you'll be to your children and grandbabies. My parents have NEVER shown any interest in taking their grandkids anywhere alone. I guess I can't complain too much because my mom warned me from the beginning that she wouldn't be the typical grandma.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
11-03-2010, 09:03 AM
First off, congrats. What great news!!
I have taken my 2 kids at a very early age. My son was 6 months when we first went and my daughter was 9 months on her first trip. Obviously the trip was not designed for them to remember a thing nor was it for their pleasure, but I enjoyed carrying them around the parks and acxtually waiting outside of main attractions for others in my party to meet back. It really gave me and my son/ daughter a chance to see the stores and other things that I usually would not stop for in the past. I did find that I spent alot more money this way as I felt the need to buy them everyything they would grab for. My bad there!! :D. But I really enjoyed these times with my infants and to see their faces during character interactions was priceless.

WDWFanatic
11-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Congrats! I was going to say 2 years old, but I'll go with the others and say whenever his/her parents will let you!

You know you won't be able to wait 4 or 5 years;) :D

Cinderelley
11-03-2010, 04:38 PM
You know you won't be able to wait 4 or 5 years;) :D

I was already thinking 4 years was too long to wait. :laughing: My DS will be deployed out on a Navy ship for two years starting in February. My original plans were for a family cruise in Summer, 2013 when he could go. It may have to be a family WDW trip instead. ;)

Cinderelley
11-03-2010, 04:40 PM
I did find that I spent alot more money this way as I felt the need to buy them everyything they would grab for. My bad there!!

But that's what a grandma's for!!!!! :)

Cinderelley
11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I want to say what an incredible blessing you'll be to your children and grandbabies. My parents have NEVER shown any interest in taking their grandkids anywhere alone. I guess I can't complain too much because my mom warned me from the beginning that she wouldn't be the typical grandma.

At least she knows her limitations. Some people don't do well with young kids. It's better for her to be up front about it than to make everyone miserable. I, myself, am wondering how I will do with a little one, since it has been so long.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
11-08-2010, 12:22 PM
At least she knows her limitations. Some people don't do well with young kids. It's better for her to be up front about it than to make everyone miserable. I, myself, am wondering how I will do with a little one, since it has been so long.

Like riding a bike Cinderelley!! :thumbsup:

Cinderelley
11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Like riding a bike Cinderelley!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the encoragement. :D

Bethis26fan
11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm thinking maybe 4. The baby will be potty-trained, able to talk and interact with others, but I can take him/her during the slower time where others are in school. My youngest is 16 though, so it has been a long time since I've dealt with a 4 year old.

we took my nephew without his mom or dad at age 4. He had a ball. He didn't ask for his mom or dad one time. He had been 2 times before with them so it was something he was use to.

Cinderelley
11-10-2010, 05:11 AM
we took my nephew without his mom or dad at age 4. He had a ball. He didn't ask for his mom or dad one time. He had been 2 times before with them so it was something he was use to.

How long did you stay?