PDA

View Full Version : When to take a seat?

Disney Hungarian
10-30-2010, 08:39 PM
I have been going to WDW for years. I have always given up my seat when the buses are crowded. I generally do not mind. It is how I was raised. Yet, this last trip with mom made me realize I'm not young any more.:mickey: I had a motorcycle wreck when I was in high school (many moons ago) and messed up quite a bit of my body. My hips are not in good shape and standing all day takes its toll. At what age is it acceptable to just take a seat? I will always give up my seat for people carrying a baby. I don't care how bad it hurts. Their safety is much more important. I guess what the question is; are there any bus etiquettes that people could share?

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-30-2010, 09:05 PM
As the mother of three kids under seven (including a baby) THANK YOU for offering your seat. My husband is usually by the back door of the bus with the stroller(s) and I have the bags and the three kids. I understand that it is first come first serve, but am eternally grateful to people like you who are willing to let my children sit, and let me sit with the baby!

Disney Hungarian
10-30-2010, 09:25 PM
THANK YOU for offering your seat.

Szívesen (That's you're welcome in Hungarian. pronounced; SEE-vah-shin.)

ElenitaB
10-30-2010, 10:34 PM
A carry-over from commuting days: your packages do not need a seat! People do...

Another one: we understand that your child is tired, but it's not cool to let your little one lie down and take up two seats. Other people and their children are tired too.

lynnek
10-31-2010, 07:05 AM
I see this from the other side as well--when to give up your seat, as in, my son is 12. He is learning that concept. Love it when he holds a door open for someone or something!!!

JenniferS.
10-31-2010, 08:06 AM
When the buses are really busy, I ALWAYS make my kids sit on our laps. It's just what you do. One time a gentleman offered his seat to an older lady and she didn't want it, so another not so gentleman sat there. Wow...talk about rude. It seems you have given up your seat numerous times and now you need it. So take it. ;)

Checkers
10-31-2010, 10:02 AM
:mickey:Just returned yesterday from a week at WDW and I, too, noticed many times able-bodied men sitting while elderly people stood. In the past I have always given up my seat for the elderly, people carrying small children and with very small children. Just makes sense (not to mention good manners) to me. Now fast-forward to this week. I am what is considered "upper middle aged" and for the first time had to use an ecv (recovering from a fractured ankle) and walk with a cane when not in the ecv. Well, it ran the gamut of those going out of their way to assist me to being invisible to others. I will say the CMs in every instance were stellar. Bottom line is there are those who don't know any better or just don't care and it happens everywhere, not just WDW.

Hammer
10-31-2010, 10:08 AM
One time a gentleman offered his seat to an older lady and she didn't want it, so another not so gentleman sat there. Wow...talk about rude.

Sorry, I disagree. How is that rude? The woman did not take the seat, therefore it is fair game. It really bothers me as well when parents allow their children to fall asleep lying down, taking more than one seat.

I'm going to move this thread, as it is not Special Needs related.

bostonsam
10-31-2010, 11:14 AM
well coming from a park I don't mind putting youngest(3)on my lap to give up a seat...will always give up my seat for the elderly,a woman expecting and/or holding a baby/infant:yes:

greengeen
10-31-2010, 11:47 AM
It's theme park transportation, not a subway comute. No one should feel compelled to give up their seat, and no one should feel entitled to get someone else's seat. If you have three kids and two strollers, rent a car. If you're disabled, rent a car or an ECV, and you'll have a guaranteed seat. If you can't stand for 15 minutes at a time, rent a car or get a taxi! If you're morally superior and feel everyone else is rude, please rent a car or stay home.

SBETigg
10-31-2010, 12:03 PM
It's up to your own discretion. If you need the seat, by all means keep it. No one knows your needs as well as you do, and no one should judge, as that is as impolite as expecting someone to give up a seat. It's very kind when people realize others may need a seat more and offer to give up a seat. But it's not necessary to do so, nor should it be expected. I give up my seat for people who appear to need it more than I do, regardless of age or gender. Sometimes it's hard to tell who might need it more, and in that case, I keep my seat.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-31-2010, 12:38 PM
It's theme park transportation, not a subway comute. No one should feel compelled to give up their seat, and no one should feel entitled to get someone else's seat. If you have three kids and two strollers, rent a car. If you're disabled, rent a car or an ECV, and you'll have a guaranteed seat. If you can't stand for 15 minutes at a time, rent a car or get a taxi! If you're morally superior and feel everyone else is rude, please rent a car or stay home.
Please stay off the bus, keep your opinions to yourself and let us stay on topic.
To the OP it is perfectly okay to keep your seat, let someone younger and not hurting do the honers now. :mickey:

Tekneek
10-31-2010, 01:54 PM
As a personal rule, I offer up my seat whenever possible. I accept when they decline to take it, but I do offer. If you feel like you cannot do it, then I do not think you have an obligation.

Just as it is polite and proper to offer your seat, it would be polite and proper for me to not speculate as to why you would not offer it. I should presume that you have a very good reason for not offering it up and move on with my life. After all, politeness/manners/etiquette are about making people feel better. If I am busy speculating and getting angry about my perception of your manners, then I am letting it bring myself down. I have to make the best of what I have at any moment, much like anyone else does. Life is too short and too complicated to also be worried about the motivations behind your choices as well.

Tekneek
10-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Sorry, I disagree. How is that rude? The woman did not take the seat, therefore it is fair game. It really bothers me as well when parents allow their children to fall asleep lying down, taking more than one seat.

I would disagree about the seat now being "fair game." The honorable thing to do would be to make sure the original person did not wish to take the seat back. Only then would I consider it to be "fair game." Perhaps this other gentleman had a very good reason for taking it though, which we do not know at this point.

BrerGnat
10-31-2010, 02:48 PM
To me, it's fairly straightforward:

If you feel you don't need your seat, and it looks like someone else does, offer it up.

If you need your seat, stay in it.

If you don't need a seat at all, and don't want to sit, stand and move to the back of the bus.

TheRustyScupper
10-31-2010, 03:05 PM
. . . are there any bus etiquettes that people could share?

1) If one is in good physical condition, offer the seat
. . . to a pregnant lady
. . . to a senior citizen, male or female
. . . to a physically handicapped person
2) Other than that, go ahead and keep the seat.

3) Yes, I know there will be complaints from people with small kids.
4) But, if the kids are that tired, they should have left long ago.

PS - Another Magyar here! Szép napot!

A Big Kid
10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Please stay off the bus, keep your opinions to yourself and let us stay on topic.
To the OP it is perfectly okay to keep your seat, let someone younger and not hurting do the honers now. :mickey:

I thought the purpose of an internet board was to proffer opinions, especially since the thread starter asked everyones' opinion. You can offer your disagreement with it, but telling him be quiet should probably be avoided.

At any rate, the seat giving up routine has become a parody of itself. If I got there first, its "my" seat and I get to choose who I give it up to, if I give it up to anyone at all. My personal rule is to give it up to pregnant women, obviously disabled, and the elderly. Anyone can stand just the same.

Gator
10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Whoa, is this a touchy subject! I have often stood in the back door area with stroller in hand, while my wife sat down with the kids. There've been many times, however, when they couldn't sit down. I understand that if you waited in line and get in first, it's your seat to keep or give away, and I wouldn't expect you to give it up. That is, unless you got on the bus first because you're one of a family of 11 people following an ECV rider on who just pulled into line at the last second (my personal pet peeve). At that point, I get upset if you don't offer a seat to my wife and kids. If you didn't wait for it, you don't deserve it. Flame me if you want - it's my opinion.

Disney Hungarian
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Whoa, is this a touchy subject!

When I started this thread; I had no idea it would turn into this. What I have gathered so far.

1. If you need it, take it.
2. Do not judge. (I try not to)
3. Try not to drink around the world so I can take my own car to the parks (or just take a cab) and not endanger everyone else. Thereby avoiding the whole situation altogether. :mickey:

Melanie
10-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Just want to remind everyone to remember the friendly spirit of INTERCOT and avoid attacking others' opinions.

The OP is asking for bus etiquette tips. Please stay within that topic.

bostonsam
10-31-2010, 10:05 PM

If you feel you don't need your seat, and it looks like someone else does, offer it up.

If you don't need a seat at all, and don't want to sit, stand and move to the back of the bus.

This hit the nail on the head!:thumbsup:

ANG
11-01-2010, 08:25 AM
As the mother of three kids under seven (including a baby) THANK YOU for offering your seat. My husband is usually by the back door of the bus with the stroller(s) and I have the bags and the three kids. I understand that it is first come first serve, but am eternally grateful to people like you who are willing to let my children sit, and let me sit with the baby!

Ditto. Especially the buses after park closings when we're as tired as the baby is after such a long day!

Mrs Bus Driver
11-01-2010, 08:55 AM

I apologize, was having a bad day and should not have expressed it here.:blush:

Ian
11-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I'll never understand how a topic like being generous and considerate of your fellow human beings can turn so ugly so often, yet it almost always does.

I really hope people will read back through this post and think about the things they've said, because quite honestly there are a few posts here that really make me question what kind of people some of you are.

Anyway ... I'm old school. When I get on a monorail or bus, I stand. If the thing takes off and there's still a seat left, I sit. I've got a really bad leg from a terrible fracture I suffered many years ago and it's quite painful, but there are others who have it a lot worse than I do or are deserving of additional consideration and respect.

I also agree that parents should not let kids spread out and take up multiple seats on crowded buses, trains, monorails, etc. If it's crowded, our kids sit in our laps.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
11-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Whoa, is this a touchy subject! I have often stood in the back door area with stroller in hand, while my wife sat down with the kids. There've been many times, however, when they couldn't sit down. I understand that if you waited in line and get in first, it's your seat to keep or give away, and I wouldn't expect you to give it up. That is, unless you got on the bus first because you're one of a family of 11 people following an ECV rider on who just pulled into line at the last second (my personal pet peeve). At that point, I get upset if you don't offer a seat to my wife and kids. If you didn't wait for it, you don't deserve it. Flame me if you want - it's my opinion.

Spot on. Agree 100%. I think it all boils down to your beliefs and your morals. Look, I am not here to pass judgment on anyone. Some people have their own agendas and are going to take care of #1 rather than maybe help others to ensure their safety during a 15 to 20 minute bumpy and brake-filled trip to and from the parks. If that's the case....great for them. Me, I make sure that my kids are safe regardless. There has never been a time when someone has not noticed my wife and I walking on the a busy bus and offered a seat for my wife and 2 year old and I am eternally grateful to those generous people. Regardless of disability or not, even women without children, I offer my seat. I am 6'1" and 210 lbs and feel physically more able to hold on to the bars on the roof of the bus than maybe a shorter female who I see get jostled around every time the bus brakes.
I guess it all boils down to your personal values and upbringing.

princessjojo
11-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I can't think of a single time we've been on a crowded bus and not offered our seats to someone. There are times where I've stood to let someone else sit so that my kids didn't have to stand. There are times when my children stood to offer seats to someone else or even to me. And there are even times when I've sat and held my children in my lap, even when they weren't "lap size." I do get discouraged sometimes when I offer my seat to someone and my standing neighbor won't move so I can hold on to the rail. I, at 5', can't quite reach the straps at the top of the bus and feel like a floundering fish or like I'm dangling from the rooftop when I can reach. Anyways, I have always strived to teach my children if you can, then do, and asked them what would you do if it were a member of their family.

If nothing else, when I offer my seat to someone who takes it, I feel good about what I've done for someone else.

lovinmesomedisney
11-04-2010, 03:51 PM
My theory is, nobody should feel offended by not being offered a seat. We are ALL tired at the end of a day at the parks. We are the kind who get there before the rope drops, and we are still there after the fireworks, or closing, whichever. I am BEAT after a day in the parks, and I know that when I get back to the resort, it is usually another long walk. I TAKE MY SEAT! No offense, but I had small kids at one time too. They are now all teenagers, and do not mind standing, but when they were small, I would wait for another bus rather than try to stand with them, and I certainly didn't expect others to give up their seat for me. I would hold two of them on my lap so that we didn't take up valuable seats, but waiting for another bus in an option if you don't want to stand with small children. They are most likely sitting in a stroller waiting for the bus anyway.

Daisy'sMom
11-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I just returned yesterday after spending a week with my eldery aunt and uncle. While a seat was always offered to my aunt, not once did anyone offer my uncle a seat. They are both in their seventies.
I would look around and noticed alot of small children in their own seats. It dawned on me that if in a car, these children would be in a car seat, but on the bus, they were sitting by themselves. Their moms had their laps and hands free. I think they should have sat them on their laps. None of them were more than three. I worried about those children.:mickey:

RBrooksC
11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
This is why I always rent a car. If I rent a car, my family and I walk to the car and we all get to sit down. We all have a seat, in a quiet car. If the kids are tired, they can close their eyes in a car that has only my family.

I can also get to my destination MUCH sooner than using public transportation.

Fastpasssteve
11-06-2010, 12:57 AM
If a bus is so full that their small child doesn't have a seat, so as to be safe in transit, I wonder about the decision-making skills of the parents. If you feel it's unsafe to ride a bus with your children standing, there is always another one coming. If one puts their kids at danger simply because the parents want to squeeze on a bus that is already at capacity just to get to their destination faster, that tells me something about the value those parents put on their children.

All people should be seated when the bus is in motion. Period. If there isn't room, I wait for the next bus.

MagicalGuest
11-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Our children (6 and 11) always sit on our laps when the bus is somewhat crowded. And we always offer our seats to folks who are older, have smaller children, and are younger but seem to be more infirm.

I am eternally grateful to a woman I met on the monorail 12 years ago when I was very pregnant. It was crowded and I was standing. She told one of her sons, who was about 10, to give me the seat and instructed him right there about the very topic we're debating. Her sons must have grown into fine young men with her example. Now I think of her whenever I'm giving my sons the same instructions.

Goes4FastPass
11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
1) If one is in good physical condition, offer the seat
. . . to a pregnant lady
. . . to a senior citizen, male or female
. . . to a physically handicapped person
2) Other than that, go ahead and keep the seat.

3) Yes, I know there will be complaints from people with small kids.
4) But, if the kids are that tired, they should have left long ago.
You are so right, Rusty.
I love my GS but the universe does not revolve around him or any other child.

Evening bus rides from the the theme parks are times for everyone to remember we're all just trying to make great memories for our families and show cooperation and patience.

rubato
11-07-2010, 09:49 AM
If a bus is so full that their small child doesn't have a seat, so as to be safe in transit, I wonder about the decision-making skills of the parents. If you feel it's unsafe to ride a bus with your children standing, there is always another one coming. If one puts their kids at danger simply because the parents want to squeeze on a bus that is already at capacity just to get to their destination faster, that tells me something about the value those parents put on their children.

All people should be seated when the bus is in motion. Period. If there isn't room, I wait for the next bus.

This is the idea I keep coming back to. Yes, my husband, my son and I always give up our seats. But, why do people get on a full bus and expect to be given a seat? There is another bus coming at some point, and, if sitting is important, please wait for the next bus where you will be guaranteed a seat. I have heard from able bodied older men (40-60ish) who say that they could have stood on the bus before, but then waited for the next one so they could sit, only to have people give them dirty looks for sitting. I just don't think it's fair of people and, again, if you need a seat and get on a full bus that is standing room only, that is a poor decision.

Mitzie
11-08-2010, 02:55 PM
I always try to remember the golden rule. Treat others as you would want to be treated. With God's blessing, I have 3 healthy children(10,10,13) who are all able to stand. DH and I are also able to stand at this point. A few years ago, due to complications from Lupus, I was having some trouble with my hip and due to a stroke at age 33(also from the Lupus) balance can be an issue. I look perfectly healthy from the outside. I give up my seat to people with small children because if it were me trying to deal with a tired 3 yr old, I would want a seat. I took my DD(10) onto my lab for an elderly lady this last trip. At Disney we come across thousands of people in the course of our stays all with their own stories and situations. We don't know if that person we give up our seats for really needed it or not, but I look at it like this...if you gave up your seat for someone who didn't need it or as some would say deserve that seat, positive karma points for you. You can walk away feeling comfortable with yourself and your choices. Just my humble opinion.

Mendelson
11-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm kind of fascinated at how grumpy some people seem to be on vacation.

I take the subway to work everyday in WashDC and seat etiquette, as far as I'm concerned should be FAR different when on vacation (there's a whole complex set of social dynamics that goes in to offering seats, of course...a fit coworker of mine in her 60s, for example, gets quite offended when someone offers her a seat, as chivalrous as he thinks he's being).

I guess not everyone feels the same, but I couldn't get give two figs about standing on a bus, regardless of the circumstances, because standing on a bus at WDW is better than sitting on the subway headed in to work. So will I give up a seat, regardless of circumstances (where in the same situation in everyday life I would not)? Of course! Do I let others' boorish behavior get me down while on vacation? Nope. Are people confounding? Absolutely!

Victor Kelly
11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I am 35 but was raised to be a gentleman. So, I will offer my seat or simply not sit if seats are scarce. Yup I am tired, yup my feet hurt, but it is what I was taught as a young child. Chivalry is not dead, it is dormant and in short supply.

I have caught adults and children before they as they have been tossed around.What is amazing to me is the parents that sit while the kids stand. And these are always the ones I watch and always the ones I am ready to catch. They might not be mine, but I will keep them from being hurt.

I am a firm believer in karma and do unto others. So, some people should consider those two things before opening their mouths or being inconsiderate.

Remember 1 thing. One day many of us will have kids, all of us will get old, and many of us have injuries. Think before acting. What you do now may be repaid later.

Gator
11-09-2010, 12:24 PM
This is the idea I keep coming back to. Yes, my husband, my son and I always give up our seats. But, why do people get on a full bus and expect to be given a seat? There is another bus coming at some point, and, if sitting is important, please wait for the next bus where you will be guaranteed a seat. I have heard from able bodied older men (40-60ish) who say that they could have stood on the bus before, but then waited for the next one so they could sit, only to have people give them dirty looks for sitting. I just don't think it's fair of people and, again, if you need a seat and get on a full bus that is standing room only, that is a poor decision.

I think I disagree with one of your points. If my kids have the option of standing on a 10 minute bus ride to get back to the resort, or standing in line 15 more minutes for the bus to arrive, both the kids and I would want to board and just get back to our beds. Those bus rides are usually very safe - the drivers know to take it slow with all those standing people. I don't know that this is a discussion of safety as much as it is about chivelry and manners.

rubato
11-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I think I disagree with one of your points. If my kids have the option of standing on a 10 minute bus ride to get back to the resort, or standing in line 15 more minutes for the bus to arrive, both the kids and I would want to board and just get back to our beds. Those bus rides are usually very safe - the drivers know to take it slow with all those standing people. I don't know that this is a discussion of safety as much as it is about chivelry and manners.

The thread did start out that way, but as always, it has turned into something else. ;)

I agree that I would rather get on the bus and stand than wait for another. My only point was that, in getting on the full bus, it would be ridiculous of me to expect anyone to offer me their seat. Even if I did have a small child. So, my point was about chivalry and manners. :thumbsup:

EeyoresBestFriend
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Very well said!! :thumbsup:

Especially the moving to the back of the bus part ~ ;)

Dulcee
11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Interesting. I don't think I've ever given this one much thought.

When DBF and I went to WDW last year (both young and healthy) we always offered our seats if someone came on who was older and looked uncomfortable standing, pregnant or was juggling a small child.

Guess it was always if it was me in one of those situations I'd appreciate the seat so I'd try to do the same for others

LVT
11-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I was under the impression that standing on buses is standard procedure world wide. There are overhead bars, overhead loops and the upright bars or seatbacks for us vertically challenged. It is lovely to sit, not a necessity for most. I have also seen people try to stand without hold on. That is not standard or safe. You might fall on someone.

Disney Hungarian
11-09-2010, 09:56 PM
When I started this post, I had no idea what it would become. I truly wanted to know what is the general etiquette. I have no bus experience outside of WDW. I have been on so few buses worldwide that I can count them on my hands. I have rode metros and a few trams and lots of trains. The buses at WDW seem different to them. I enjoy an adult beverage at the parks or resorts. I will not drive after having just one beer. I do like the idea of the bus system at WDW. I just wanted to know if there were things I could do or should do to make the experience less stressful and more comfortable.

I thank you all for your input and sharing your opinions.

P.S. Public transportation where I live now is; hopping on the back of a 4-wheeler. No standing allowed.:)

Cinderelley
11-10-2010, 05:48 AM
I generally stand on the bus regardless and am grateful that I can. A few years ago, I wasn't able to. I was one of the people boarding in a wheelchair.
I have seen many people put small children in their own seat, and I wondered why they didn't hold them in their lap so that more people could get on the bus.
I don't understand the "we will wait for the next bus so we can get a seat" mentality. If you're standing in line to wait for the next bus, why not just stand on the bus that is already on its way to the resort. Can someone who does this enlighten me?
On our last trip, Dave and I would smile and joke about all the guys standing and holding the strollers while the moms had the kids in seats. Some of the guys looked like they were ready to fall over too but sucked it up and kept going. One night I had to use one of the seats. I was by the window, and Dave stood in the aisle next to me. A lady with three young children got on and let the three children take the seats while she stood. The three children fell asleep and the girl next to me kept sliding out of her chair. Dave stood with his hip holding her up while the mom held the other two in place. It is rough with small children.

Harriet
11-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Not everyone can afford to rent an EVC or rent a car so we are at the mercy of the bus system. Yes I am an eldery person and have a bad knee. The problem too many people have lost manners and respect for one another. If one would offer me a seat I would be very thankful but the problem would be solved if Disney would make it policy that there be NO standing on buses.

PinKy
11-10-2010, 03:51 PM

wow. I couldn't disagree more. Why should guests have to rent a car when there are buses available for their families to use? Is there a limit to the number of your children you can bring with you on the bus or something? :confused: Can you imagine? "Bye DS (4-years and the oldest), we'll see you back at the resort sweetie! Can you remember which hotel we're at?? That's right - the one with the pretty lights. ok! See you there". I don't think that would work well somehow. :secret:

I am one of those with children (who rides the bus) and contrary to the quote above - I don't plan on renting a car just because I have kids.
I also agree that riding public transportation at home - is much much different than riding public transportation at WDW - so you're really comparing apples and oranges there. I take the bus and/or train where I live and standing on a bus/train for 45 minutes into or out of the city is a daily occurrance.

Eiquette:

Just be glad you can stand (if you can) and if you can't - wait for the next bus or kindly ask someone if you could have their seat b/c you have problem-x. Worst case scenario, let the driver know you're having a problem.

If you're standing - try not to shove your shopping bag or purse in the face of the person sitting in front of you.

If you can stand with no problems - offer a seat to someone who may be older, disabled, pregnant or toting small children

And goodness if you end up standing - be thankful you can stand instead of being someone who actually NEEDS to sit!

Its just a bus! Not the end of the world!

bostonsam
11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
wow. I couldn't disagree more. Why should guests have to rent a car when there are buses available for their families to use? Is there a limit to the number of your children you can bring with you on the bus or something? :confused: Can you imagine? "Bye DS (4-years and the oldest), we'll see you back at the resort sweetie! Can you remember which hotel we're at?? That's right - the one with the pretty lights. ok! See you there". I don't think that would work well somehow. :secret:

I am one of those with children (who rides the bus) and contrary to the quote above - I don't plan on renting a car just because I have kids.
I also agree that riding public transportation at home - is much much different than riding public transportation at WDW - so you're really comparing apples and oranges there. I take the bus and/or train where I live and standing on a bus/train for 45 minutes into or out of the city is a daily occurrance.

Eiquette:

Just be glad you can stand (if you can) and if you can't - wait for the next bus or kindly ask someone if you could have their seat b/c you have problem-x. Worst case scenario, let the driver know you're having a problem.

If you're standing - try not to shove your shopping bag or purse in the face of the person sitting in front of you.

If you can stand with no problems - offer a seat to someone who may be older, disabled, pregnant or toting small children

And goodness if you end up standing - be thankful you can stand instead of being someone who actually NEEDS to sit!

Its just a bus! Not the end of the world!

lol well put:thumbsup:

ToraTory
11-12-2010, 03:55 PM
...I don't understand the "we will wait for the next bus so we can get a seat" mentality. If you're standing in line to wait for the next bus, why not just stand on the bus that is already on its way to the resort. Can someone who does this enlighten me?

I'd love to... if you are someone who suffers from a joint disorder in your legs like arthritis, fibromyalgia or like myself, lupus, there is a significant difference between standing in a stationary position and one which is moving. While it can be difficult for me to stand still in one place longer than say 10 minutes, I can do it, painful but I can do it. When you add motion to the equation, esp. side-to-side or back and forth it is very difficult for me to keep my balance due to extreme pain, cramps and muscle weakness. I've thought about using a scooter or wheel chair but then I would have to deal with people's remarks about how I appear to be able-bodied and the scooter takes up too many seats.

Now my question for you: Why does it bother you that someone would rather stay in a safer environment for them (standing still as opposed to trying to balance while moving) and wait for the next bus? This allows people who have no issue standing to pass me and get on the current bus, shouldn't this make you happy?

Seems like no matter what I do I can't please everyone :( -- tory

Cinderelley
11-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd love to... if you are someone who suffers from a joint disorder in your legs like arthritis, fibromyalgia or like myself, lupus, there is a significant difference between standing in a stationary position and one which is moving. While it can be difficult for me to stand still in one place longer than say 10 minutes, I can do it, painful but I can do it. When you add motion to the equation, esp. side-to-side or back and forth it is very difficult for me to keep my balance due to extreme pain, cramps and muscle weakness. I've thought about using a scooter or wheel chair but then I would have to deal with people's remarks about how I appear to be able-bodied and the scooter takes up too many seats.

Now my question for you: Why does it bother you that someone would rather stay in a safer environment for them (standing still as opposed to trying to balance while moving) and wait for the next bus? This allows people who have no issue standing to pass me and get on the current bus, shouldn't this make you happy?

Seems like no matter what I do I can't please everyone :( -- tory

It doesn't bother me. Why did you think it did? I was just curious what the difference was. Thank you for explaining.

Goes4FastPass
11-16-2010, 05:16 PM
...I don't understand the "we will wait for the next bus so we can get a seat" mentality. If you're standing in line to wait for the next bus, why not just stand on the bus that is already on its way to the resort. Can someone who does this enlighten me?

Sure, I'd be glad to try.

The bus this past Sunday night was crazy packed with the driver insisting we make two standing rows down the isle.

I found myself holding a small child with one arm with his arms around my neck while I held the strap connected to the overhead bar with the other hand. Then, as the bus whiped around turn after turn I prayed to every diety I had ever heard of that I would not lose my grip on the hand strap or the child resulting in possible injury to us or the siting passengers we would fall on.

Deciding to stand under those conditions was an unsafe choice.

...and all the while this ride was going on I swear I was remembering this thread!

disneymom2000
11-24-2010, 10:55 PM
I am handicapped and have a fused spine from top to bottom with lots of metal hardware which causes a lot of stress on my hips and back muscles which make it very hard to stand any length of time especially on a moving vehicle. I sit unless there is another obviously handicapped person or pregnant woman or lady with a baby that no one gives up their seat for. So please, sit. And I appreciate all you parents who are teaching your youngsters the spirit of giving. I see a lot of teens nowadays who don't even notice the distress of others.

Cinderelley
11-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Sure, I'd be glad to try.

The bus this past Sunday night was crazy packed with the driver insisting we make two standing rows down the isle.

I found myself holding a small child with one arm with his arms around my neck while I held the strap connected to the overhead bar with the other hand. Then, as the bus whiped around turn after turn I prayed to every diety I had ever heard of that I would not lose my grip on the hand strap or the child resulting in possible injury to us or the siting passengers we would fall on.

Deciding to stand under those conditions was an unsafe choice.

...and all the while this ride was going on I swear I was remembering this thread!

Thanks for the point of view. :thumbsup: