PDA

View Full Version : Ride help!

KAT1811
10-26-2010, 04:37 PM
DH and I have been trying to convince my MIL and FIL to join us on our trip to WDW for years. They never come. We have 4 children and travel with my parents. My MIL always says she doesn't like rides. I try to convince her that WDW is more visual than action packed. (With the exception of the mountains, TOT, RNRC, TT, etc.) Our youngest is 19 months so there is always at least one adult not riding those rides and staying with the little ones.

I know my FIL would like to come :secret:. They have been asking a ton of questions about our now canceled trip so I think they are really thinking about joining us next time. Hopefully we can factor in a trip next year.

If anyone can help me convince her it's my Intercot friends. What do you think I could do to convince them that they should come and that many of the rides are calm?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Disney Hungarian
10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Back when I was married I had the same situation come up. FIL didn't want to come. Finally took MIL and she had such a great time that she talked him into it. All we did was show him the pictures of the rides and let his wife do all the talking. His fear wasn't about the rides, come to find out. His fear was being able to walk that far. When we got to MK we made it as far as LTT. We had an early ressie there. Well he confessed his condition and I asked the waiter where the nearest place to get a wheelchair was. The waiter said "just a minute, and I will find out." 10 minutes later he came back with a wheelchair. Talk about awesome service! Well to make a long story short. I took them to the classics, HM, PoTC, PPF, IASM and the like. Well FIL finally asks when are we going to take him on Splash Mountain. We ride that and they loved it. Then we go to BTMRR. Another winner. It was an amazing time. They both said they felt like kids again. Even after the divorce, he kept a picture of me on their living room wall. He passed away a few years after that and I was told he always wanted to do one more trip to WDW with me. Made me feel proud. I do hope you get to take them. I love my memories that I have.

JerseyDad
10-26-2010, 05:02 PM
.....mention all of the "tame" rides / attractions.....then...seek out videos of some of them on Youtube so that you can SHOW them what it's all about. I'm sure that they'll be won over.

annetter
10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
By all means, show her the you tubes and as much info as possible. At the end of the day, respect the fact that not everyone is as enamored with all things Disney as we all are. I am sure she loves you all, but the idea of a trip to WDW can strike fear in someone who is a bit older and is maybe not able to get around like they used to. Yes..you and I say NO problem... Get a wheelchair! Some would accept that with no problem,others see it as a concession of age. By all mean encourage, but back off if your efforts are not getting you anywhere... Good luck to you all...you sound like a lovely DIL for caring so much!! :mickey:

faline
10-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Some folks are simply not Disney folks. I have a relative who says she would be happy to never set foot in a Disney park ever again. Her spouse, however, would be more than happy to go to Disney.

Good thing my husband is happy to go on Disney trips to me! :D

KAT1811
10-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Great idea showing her you tube videos. My in-laws are still young MIL 65 and FIL 70. Both are very active and travel often. Getting around isn't an issue. I ran some prices for them and sent over a quick email saying that there was no pressure but we would love them to join us. I just think that there will be so many wonderful memories to cherish if they give it a shot. I also said that we would never be offended if they wanted to go their separate ways at some points during the vacation. I really hope they come. FIL's brother (Uncle Johnny) and his daughter (Cousin Tara) came with us last year and loved it! Auntie however, is like faline's realative and hopes to never step foot in WDW again. She stayed home. Now they're addicted and want to come every year!

Thank you! :thanks:

DisneyMom12
10-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Some folks are simply not Disney folks. I have a relative who says she would be happy to never set foot in a Disney park ever again.

I just don't get that way of thinking :confused:

Cinderelley
10-27-2010, 01:35 AM
Do you have pictures of your kids (their dearly beloved grandchildren) laughing and playing and having a good time there? I don't know many grandparents who can resist watching their grandkids light up. Maybe your kids could take their photo album with "tame" rides and such over to show Grandma and Grandpa. ;)

Pirate Granny
10-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Trips with my parents and children have given me many happy memories...now I get to share those memories with my grandchildren...

I myself am trying to get my MIL to take a trip with us...

brivers222
10-28-2010, 03:02 PM
just tell them my fiancee Adrianne went and enjoyed it... They will know the extent of how awesomely amazing that feat is just by hearing her name.....

if they look at you clueless, just explain to them she is the biggest chicken in all of the land... and she had a blast going on a few "rides" and then just people watching and other stuff.

kemps@wdw
10-28-2010, 10:11 PM
C'mon Grandma and Grandpa...DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!! Just watching them in WDW would be enough for me (if I were a grandparent). WDW is soooo much more than rides. Between the resort hopping, mini golf, DTD, all the dining options, the shows, the shopping, and yes, even the parks. my goodness, you could spend a week there and not even get on a ride! My in-law (69-70) just returned from the World with us at the beginning of Oct. It was a family affair. Nine of us in all. 6 adults, 1 teen, and a 6 and 10 yr old. The grandparents didn't accompany us on all the rides, but did a few. Even my DH and I enjoyed a little more relaxed pace (as we get older), and still didn't do all we wanted to do this time around. But...as we here at Intercot know...there's always next time! :D

Disney4us2
10-29-2010, 11:40 AM
My DD and I just took my DF to Disneyland to celebrate his 90th (belated)birthday. He is not the Disney type person. His idea of fun is going to the local cansin's to play poker. However, he had a great time. Did the character breakfast and a nice dinner. Did a few of the gentle rides for him. The most important part was making memories with DD and me.

He even said that he would like to go again. Maybe in the spring time. Hmmmm just in time to celebrate his 91st birthday.:party:

He is always asking if I get tired going to DL so often, to which I answer.... NO.

faline
10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

Neither do I but this person also likes to do things that would not interest me in the least so I guess that's just human nature!

Mickey'sIrishPAl
10-29-2010, 02:08 PM

I agree. I actually get teary eyed when the DME driver says over the loud speaker, "Everyone wave goodbye to the Welcome to Disney World" sign at the entrance of the property. I look at my kids waving and see the expression on their face and it seriously chokes me up.

My son actually killed me this past trip in September. We were alking out of the Magic Kingdom and I stood near the train station and said, "Let's wave to the castle". He did and 2 minutes I was holding his hand toward the exit and he starts crying. I pick up my 8 year old son and asked him what is wrong. He says while crying, "I love it here and don't want to leave." I hugged him with all that I had and told him that I loved him and promised him we would come back soon.

I can't get that memory out of my head and 3 days after returning from Disney i booked for September 14th 2011 through the 25th. My son and daughter are my everything and they deserve as much magic as I can give them. I have always obsessed over Disney, but this memory is why I love Disney even more, my children.

faline
10-29-2010, 02:11 PM
My son actually killed me this past trip in September. We were alking out of the Magic Kingdom and I stood near the train station and said, "Let's wave to the castle". He did and 2 minutes I was holding his hand toward the exit and he starts crying. I pick up my 8 year old son and asked him what is wrong. He says while crying, "I love it here and don't want to leave." I hugged him with all that I had and told him that I loved him and promised him we would come back soon.

Perhaps this is exactly what the original poster needs to convince the in-laws?!

MarkC
10-29-2010, 02:19 PM
You can share my story with them. For years my Dad said he had no interest in going to Disney, although Mom had went once and loved it. Finally we found some great airfares, and my brother and I told them we would buy their airline tickets if they would come along. We were shocked when Dad said yes. While on the trip, Dad kept repeating......

I can't believe how clean everything is.
I can't believe how big this place is.
I can't believe how educational this place is.
I can't believe how good the food is.

Needless to say, he had a great time and was really glad he went (he was 71 at the time). People who have never been to Disney have a strange misconception about it, probably from what they've seen on tv, which often is Main Street USA and the castle. Best of luck in getting your in laws to attend.

PinKy
10-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Maybe show her the Epcot pavilions at Epcot? And the shows at AK? Also - she could be the designated "baby rider" and ride the rides that the baby would ride. (Pirates, Snow White, Small World, etc) Those are all very relaxing. In the end though - if she doesn't want to go and spend time with her family and grandkids - then you maybe shouldn't force the issue? Its certainly a waste of money for someone who doesn't want to be there. We have the same problem with my FIL. My MIL goes to Disney with us every year now - mainly to spend time with her grandchildren. She does a bit of babysitting that allows us some "adult time" and she also spends a fair amount of time with us in the parks. My FIL however says he is "done" with Disney - that he's been there and done that and doesn't need to see it again. And that's fine - he just doesn't get to the see the grandkids on vacation every year. His loss...... I think eventually that will change his opinion. Maybe eventually your MIL's as well.

Mrs Bus Driver
10-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Don't know what your in-laws like to do but here are some suggestions, golfing (I don't do this myself but have heard from friends who do that WDW has some really good courses)? Dinning? What would they say to California Grill and some fireworks? What about dinner at Ohana's and a walk along the beach at the Poly while watching the electric water parade. Fishing? There are fishing trips that can be booked. Para sailing or horse back riding? Do they like staying in nice resorts? I am now hooked on the mod's, am willing to stay in a value but like to walk around the mod's in the morning. Point is that there is more to do then just the parks and while I hate to say it not every Grandparent wants to spend all of their vacation with the Grand-kids, they may want some alone time to do grownup things. Maybe they are afraid that you just want them there to babysit. Just a thought. Good Luck :mickey:

LVT
10-31-2010, 07:54 PM
You regret most what you missed.
Go once for the grandkids.
My parents died before we started going and I
am crying about yours missing the chance.:(

KAT1811
11-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Thank you all so much for the ideas and support. I sent the email a few weeks ago and have seen them often since but never one word from either of them regarding Disney. I will say I'm a bit disappointed but they do have a while to change their minds. They've come around a bit over the years but the kid thing is something they do in small doses. We travel with my parents and get connecting rooms (or share a 2BR) with them and would never ask my in-laws to watch the children on vacation (I try to only ask when I'm truly stuck when we're home). I'm keeping my fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath. They just don't see things the way we do. Family is a very important part of who we are and I can't imagine having my grandchildren experience Disney without me (when the day comes). Who knows. I suppose everyone is different. :(

Cinderelley
11-13-2010, 08:57 PM
I am sorry to hear this. My parents have always been very involved in my childrens' lives. Their father's parents have never been involved. I had a hard time with it at first, but now it is just a fact of life. Remember the fact that although grandparents are important, the time you spend with them is much more important to them. In the end, your in-laws will regret it sometime - just this last year (my kids are 20, 18 & 16 now), their paternal grandmother started lamenting all the years she lost with them.

DisneyFr33k
11-14-2010, 06:09 AM
I agree with previous posts about Youtube etc. However, you could also give them a mission - have them in charge of helping get character autographs with the kids, help with photos, etc. Also, mention all the really wonderful shows they have - The lion King etc. Those always stick in my memory.

Good luck. I am envious you have parents interested. My parents and in-laws would never consider going. They are BIG time home bodies and enjoy taking care of our dog while we are gone.

Cinderelley
11-15-2010, 12:11 AM
They are BIG time home bodies and enjoy taking care of our dog while we are gone.

Taking care of the furry family members is always an important job. :D