PDA

View Full Version : review these books for tweens-Disney setting

lynnek
10-25-2010, 02:51 PM
I usually like to pack a new book for myself and the kids when we go on a trip--for travel time. Since we are going to Disney for the first time, I thought I would stay on topic for them and find some with the setting being DW. These are a few I've found:

Dream Factory
Disney After Dark
Disney at Dawn
Disney in Shadow

Anyone read these/have their kids read these and can you rate them? I have a 10 and 12 yr old, so a little concerned about appropriateness etc. The last three are a series, I believe.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
We have the Kingdom Keepers series (the last three you mentioned), and I love it!

My DD, now 12 found them a little confusing, but once she got into them, she also enjoyed them.

I would buy the first one, Disney After Dark, give it a read yourself (if you're anything like me you'll enjoy it) and then pass it along to the kids.

I got the chance to meet the author Ridley Pearson over the summer, he was on the same cruise as me, doing research for his next book and he was a great guy!

StitchFan#1
10-25-2010, 06:35 PM
I definatly agree with The previous poster about the Kingdom Keepers series!! I really enjoy them. I've read all three and found that reading the second one first was not a very tactical move:blush:. It gives the parks a whole different aspect. Where else can you imagine pirates from PotC running a muck?? I will say it is kinda confusing about the DHI thing but you will get a hold really quick. I hope I helped.

lynnek
10-27-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the series. I think they will work. Anyone know anything about the first one listed--I think it's supposed to be set in Disney and CM's are main characters. Fiction of course.

Savvy
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
As stated above, the Kingdom Keepers series is quite good. I read the first one when I was 16, so I wasn't exactly in the age group you're asking about. But I did enjoy it, and I think your tween will like it just fine. Some of the concepts are a little confusing, and the descriptions rushed, and overall I think some of Ridley Pearson's writing is a bit...I don't know the word. Dry? Overdone? I'm not sure. Overall, however, if you're a Disney fan, it's not bad. ^^