PDA

View Full Version : Need some answers to questions I should know....

Sunshine1010
10-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Soooo....our Use Year is December and ...as you can figure out...our new allotment of points start Dec. 1st, 2010. We decided to go in Nov. 2011 (and may possibly change to Dec....so I need to keep in mind that I would need to 'bank' our '10-'11 points)

A few questions if you don't mind:
- If I want to stay at a resort that is NOT my home resort, what month would I be able to sign up for it?
- If I register online, can I do a waitlist also...how many?
- If you use points, can you choose the Quick Service DDP?
- I've always stayed in a 1bdrm that has a washer/dryer...but this time, we plan on being in a studio. I've heard that DVC members don't have to pay for laundry. How does this work?
- Are studios at BW, Beach Club or AKL hard to get at the 7 month mark for November?

Also...some questions about the online reservation feature:
- Why only 7 days? What if we want to do more?
- Has anyone used this service yet? Tips/complaints?

I may have a few more questions. Thank you so much for your time.

DizneyRox
10-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Use year has no bearing on when you can reserve resorts, it's all about the travel dates. You can make reservations 11 months prior to arrival at your home resort and 7 months prior to arrival at others.

Not sure about waitlisting online. The limit is two however. Consecutive days count as a single wiatlist.

Not sure about the DDP either. I know you can get the DDP, not sure about the QS or not however.

There are laundry facilities (think laundromat). Use of the washers/dryers is free for members. YOu need to provide your own detergent or buy it. Bring quarters if you want to buy it there, I think it's like $1.50 a load but it's been a while. I usually drop off my extra upon check-out.

Tough to go by previous years. I've never had a problem with my waitlists, but I've heard others have. With travel picking up, I've got to guess people are going to be using points they may have banked in previous years. That's just a guess though.

I don't use any of the online tools, I like to talk to a person when making my reservations. Others will probably step in to help out.

Sunshine1010
10-24-2010, 07:08 PM
What if a non-member person is staying at a DVC resort and wants to do laundry? I guess what I'm asking is...how does the resort know if you are a member when you go do laundry? (It's good to know that it's free though!!!...that's great news).

Sorry, I probably misworded my question. I knew that the reserving dates are based from your travel dates (not use year). So, I'm thinking...for a November travel date to use a non-home resort...I could reserve in April?

Sometimes I would like to talk to a person too, but I'm curious about the new online reservation feature.

Quick question....Food & Wine...what is the time frame for this?

faline
10-24-2010, 08:15 PM
You can reserve 7 months in advance when you want to stay in resort that is not your home resort. I've never waitlisted so don't know that process. I also have not used the dining plan but do understand that members can purchase the dining plan up to 48 hours before arrival.

At the seven month mark, you can reserve up to seven nights at a resort that is not your home resort. To add additional nights, you would need to call each day after the seven night mark to add each night you want. Or, if you want to reserve 10 nights, you can wait to the 7 months plus 3 day mark and try to reserve all 10 nights at once.

Sunshine1010
10-24-2010, 10:08 PM
So if I call right on that day....for seven days...and then I call every day after...I may not get the entire reservation at the same place. If the vaca is for 10 days...there IS a possibility that I can get 7 days...but would have to move to another place for 3 days.

That seems sort of ridiculous... (insert sad face here)

DizneyRox
10-24-2010, 10:27 PM
There is always the possibility that consecutive days are not possible. For my last trip, there were just some days that we couldn't get anywhere but our home resort (and SSR).

So, yes, it IS possible that the first 7 days are there and the remaining three get booked. Don't sweat it though...

DisneyDudet
10-25-2010, 11:01 PM
As far as the waitlisting, I think you can only be put on a waitlist if you call Member Services. Since there are conditions to a waitlist, they do need your permission. The only way to book online is to send a request in, wait a day or two, and see if your request has been made. You are given two resort/room types to enter. You are also given two windows of travel, but are able to say if your dates are flexible. If your first choice is not available, they will search your next choice. Whatever is available, it is automatically booked for you. If there is no availability for any option you gave, they may or may not say that there are options for you. I have had it either way.

You are better off calling member services for booking, until the online system is up and running. My suggestion is to book at your home resort when you are able to, to secure accommodations for your trip, then try at 7 months to get another resort (if there is another resort you'd like to stay at).

You can book any DDP you'd like up to 48 hours before your trip. You have to pay in full when you add it on.