PDA

View Full Version : 50's Prime Time Cafe, Should I Go?

DisneyPrincess21
10-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I have ADR's for Sci-fi, which we have been to twice before and really enjoy. But I was thinking about possibly trying 50's prime time cafe, for something different. I love the theme of the restaurant and the menu looks pretty good also, what I am worried about is being part of the show.
Me and my mother don't mind having fun and watching others be part of the show, but we really aren't comfortable personally being the center of attention. My father on the other hand, can't get enough of the attention and being part of the show, he seriously loves it. Me and mom are wondering if it is "safe" for us to go here, or will we definitely be a part of the show? Is there a way me and mom can just "observe", and have my father be the center of attention at our table?

Should we go to 50's prime time, or stick with Sci-fi?

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
10-24-2010, 01:43 AM
If you haven't been, you should try it. It is fun!!! I got in trouble for not eating my green beans. Lots of laughs!

SassySueMadhatterFanatic
10-24-2010, 01:53 AM
:mickey:I am wondering the same thing, my daughter is abit shy, however my husband is totally a ham. Me, I am kind of in the middle on the whole being the center of attention. This will be our first experience at the PrimeTime on 11/28/10, guess we'll see how it goes???

CleveSJM
10-24-2010, 09:14 AM
The servers are pretty good at leaving the shy ones alone. You're also kinda in smaller sections you really only 3 or 4 other tables will even be part of your area. Everyone is having fun and the food is good. I recommend trying it out.

brivers222
10-24-2010, 01:56 PM
I have been to both places twice now.... 50's takes the cake each and every time!

I find mainly the female waitresses give the guests the most "show" but honestly this last visit last week.... nothing of too much excitement really happened "show" wise... However as always the Exciting Pot Roast and Fried chicken came out and it was fabulous!

50's has secured a must do spot on our list... right up there with Chefs De France and Crystal Palace.

Sci-Fi has become an also do if we have an extra dining credit (never again oop and never instead of the 50s)

Tinkermom
10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
If you tell the hostess that you would not like any extra attention they will make note of it for you. :mickey:

faline
10-24-2010, 04:21 PM
I know many folks love this spot so we finally tried it a couple of years back. I wasn't overly impressed but I know I like other spots that others do not.

ibelieveindisneymagic
10-24-2010, 05:12 PM
We've been to Prime Time twice, and once had a lot of interaction, and the second was much quieter.

In our family, DH and DD love to be involved and will play along with anything, but I would prefer to sit and watch. They were good at figuring that out, and interacting with DH and DD, leaving me pretty much alone.

We enjoy it, and think that it is worth a try, but so much of the "experience" depends on your server.

Disney Hungarian
10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm not trying to be a Grumpy Gus, but I was so under-impressed with the 50's prime-time. So much so, that I actually went back again to make sure I hadn't just had an off night. Well, all I can say is that I enjoyed the Tune-in lounge both times while I waited for a table.:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
10-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Been there about 4 times so far. Last time our server was less than great. But every other time, we had a blast.
Also we have never had any complaints about the food.

MNNHFLTX
10-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Don't worry too much that the servers will single you out for some teasing--as someone mentioned earlier, they are usually pretty good at determining who wants to interact with them and who doesn't. And in the end it really is just a restaurant (with decent food), albeit one with a fairly specific theme.

KAT1811
10-25-2010, 06:01 PM
I know many folks love this spot so we finally tried it a couple of years back. I wasn't overly impressed but I know I like other spots that others do not.

:ditto:

We didn't care for the food but the server we had the last time we visited (about 7 years ago) was a ton of fun. She made my mother sing "I'm a little teapot" in the middle of our section. The funniest part is my mother is "short and stout"! It was hysterical!!! If the food were better we would go back again and again.

LudwigVonDrake
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM
50s is one of my favorite WDW restaurants. Try the Pot Roast and eat your vegetables :D

JerseyDad
10-25-2010, 09:39 PM
.....luv 50's Prime Time!! First time we were there...we had a waiter that reminded me of Louie Anderson (except funnier). Had a great time...and after I saw what he did to people that didn't eat their veggies.....I MADE SURE that I was a card carrying member of the "Clean Plate Club"!!

....and we had a few drinks at the bar while waiting to be seated...great atmosphere in there....and killer Bloody Mary's

....the pot roast is fabulous

Suz36
10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
We're trying this for the first time in February, and I, too, am a little nervous about the interaction. But you never know until you try, right?!

Mickey'sIrishPAl
10-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Must try!! We make it a point to go here every trip. As mentioned before, the servers(as in any other restaurant) are working for tips and do a very nice job of picking up those who do not want bothered too much. They also do a nice job of picking on those who will make it fun for your table as well as the entire section of the restaurant you are sitting in.
This should not be a worry. Go and have fun. All of the times I've been I have seen kids get picked on. If the kid is into it, the attention gets more candid. If the kid is mortified and cowers in their seat, they do back off quite a bit.

brivers222
10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
We're trying this for the first time in February, and I, too, am a little nervous about the interaction. But you never know until you try, right?!

It all depends on who you have really...

My fiancee was tramatized when she was a shy child because the waitress announced to the whooooole restaurant (prolly only those directly around were even listening though lol) that Cousin Adrianne ate all her food, she can now have dessert! She freaked and was so embarrased.

I have gone there three times in the past and really appart from calling out Cousin (so and so) and maybe getting yelled at for having elbows on the table, nothing really embarrassing happened. The wait staff can read you pretty much. I have to bet if you are rude to them, they would turn on their "show" for you to get you back...

the last time we went (forced adrianne to go) we had a blast....she even deemed it her most favorite restaurant, behind Les Chefs!)

So you should go for it!

WishingStar2006
10-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I LOVE the food and the atmosphere at 50's Prime Time and it's a must do every trip. The Fried Chicken and the Pot Roast are just fabulous!!!

Only 22 days to go!!!!!!!! :mickey:

Gator
10-30-2010, 10:18 PM
The food will be MUCH better at 50s. The ambience is different, but I wouldn't say downgraded. I think you'd like it.

queenmom9497
10-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Been there twice. First time better than the last, but both times were good. Fried chicken is awesome. The servers do have a "knack" for figuring out who is shy and who they can "play" with.

kemps@wdw
11-01-2010, 12:31 AM
By all means, go to 50's! And hope to get "cousin Mikey". He is fantastic!! No one was actually "put on the spot", but we all were selected at one time or another for Mikey's special brand of interaction. Between all of us, we were ages 6 thru 69. And the wonderful food not withstanding, we all had a FANTASTIC time @ 50's. I did notice, the younger the kids, the more the CMs concentrated on the parents. Imagine you as a kid watching your parents being told to "eat all your veggies if you want dessert", or "elbows off the table", or "sit up straight". A fun time was had by all! The funniest thing was when "pops" (Mikey's name for my DFIL) had his leftovers brought back to him covered in whipped cream and sprinkles for dessert!

DisneyFr33k
11-01-2010, 02:23 PM
We've been 4 times and were never the "butt of jokes" or part of a big show. The waitress would get on us for eating veggies and setting tables, but nothing more. Only on one occassion a big production was made while we were there - and it was for a couple on their honeymoon - they had on the bride/groom hats, buttons etc. so they were in a way asking for the attention. Go there and have fun! In our opinion, the food and entertainment is WAY better than Sci Fi - we'll never go back there, once was enough.