PDA

View Full Version : Illuminations/dining dilemma....

r4kids
10-23-2010, 09:16 AM
We will be in Epcot for 2 days during our vaca and don't have hopper passes. We have ressies in Teppan Edo at 8:55 and then another night at Les Chefs 9:20. My issue is how do we view Illuminations? I have been looking for anything else but nothing yet!!

kakn7294
10-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Illuminations is around 12 minutes long. If you stand in front of the France Pavilion, you could watch Illuminations then hustle over to the restaurant. It should put you there just in few minutes before your ADR time.

SBETigg
10-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Illuminations is around 12 minutes long. If you stand in front of the France Pavilion, you could watch Illuminations then hustle over to the restaurant. It should put you there just in few minutes before your ADR time.

I agree with this. Technically, you should check in twenty minutes or so before your ADR time, but you're fine if you don't (lots of people don't) and it just means you might be seated later, depending on crowds and ADRs that night. I think you can safely watch Illuminations from the France or UK area (get there early to get a good spot) and then proceed to your ADR at Chefs. If you're nervous about it, you can have one of your party check in at slightly before 9 and just tell them your party will be watching Illuminations and will be over in time to be seated at the end of the show (your ADR time of 9:20). They're very accommodating.

r4kids
10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
It is stating Illuminations is at 9:30 on Dec 3rd, our ressies is just before. The is also an EMH night.

SBETigg
10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
It is stating Illuminations is at 9:30 on Dec 3rd, our ressies is just before. The is also an EMH night.

Oh no! That puts a crimp in the plan. In that case, I think you're going to miss Illuminations if you don't manage a reschedule. Teppan Edo is fun, but Tokyo Dining offers good food (some of the same dishes, just not cooked in front of you) and maybe better dining times. It's maybe not ideal, but a thought if you wanted to reschedule one to maybe catch Illuminations.

KAT1811
10-23-2010, 12:45 PM
That stinks! I hope something works out for you! :mickey:

Maybe something will open up before your trip.

Is that something new them moving the Illuminations showing later? I don't think I ever remember a time when the show was not at 9:00pm.

BrerGnat
10-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't think I ever remember a time when the show was not at 9:00pm.

Yeah, I've NEVER seen this either! This show has been running like clockwork, nightly at 9pm, for about 10 years now.

Maybe it's a misprint in the schedule? :confused:

I'd actually suggest the following:

On your FIRST Epcot day, go to whatever restaurant you have ADR for but go at 5 p.m. and try for a "walk up". We have never been turned away from a restaurant when we show up right at the start of dinner service (actually, getting there around 4:45 is even better).

If it doesn't work, repeat on your second Epcot day.

You may have to wait for a table, but I'll bet you they can accommodate you.

Try it!

And, for the record, I'd not miss Illuminations for EITHER of those restaurants. I love Illuminations...and while those restaurants are good, I'd choose to see the show over either one of them.

r4kids
10-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you!! I was shocked to see the show times moved also!! I will try to show up and see if they will take us. In the mean time I will keep checking :)

MagicalGuest
10-24-2010, 10:20 AM
How about doing a CS meal one of those nights? Sunshine Seasons has decent food; so does the CS at Mexico and Japan. Not as good as TS sites, but you can choose your meal time and still see the show.

Fangorn
10-24-2010, 10:59 AM
This show has been running like clockwork, nightly at 9pm, for about 10 years now.

For the past year or so, they have been doing Illuminations at 9:30 every so often. It usually occurs on Friday nights when Epcot has EMH.

Steve

kakn7294
10-24-2010, 12:48 PM
It is stating Illuminations is at 9:30 on Dec 3rd, our ressies is just before. The is also an EMH night.Oh bummer! I forgot that they do that in December. Perhaps you can go to Le Chefs early and request a window table?

ElenitaB
10-24-2010, 03:54 PM
From what I recall, Holiday Illuminations is always at 9:30. It really is worth changing a dinner reservation to watch it (and do take the time to get a good spot for it). While it's not the "best use" of a TS credit, maybe a late lunch might work out better (and be easier to get an ADR for as well).

ThanxForNoticin
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
I think you are correct - the Holiday Illuminations have been held at 9:30 for the past several years. I expect it's due to the 8:15 showing of the Candlelight Processional.

r4kids
10-25-2010, 12:41 PM
I canceled our 9:20 dinner ressie made a lunch Les Chefs and we will wing it for dinner with a walk up :magic: I haven't seen the holiday illuminations in a bit!

kakn7294
10-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a plan! Have a great time!