PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "extinct" attraction at WDW

Disney Hungarian
10-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Ok, so I'm middle aged now and like to look back in fondness to my memories of WDW.

What was your favorite attraction that has gone the way of the dinosaurs?

Was it Horizons? Or the original Journey into Imagination? Or a circle vision 360 movie? Or the first 3D movie Magic Journeys? World of Motion? 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? etc.

Mine would have to be Horizons. Shame on GE for pulling the plug on the sponsorship. It was a cool peaceful ride and luckily I can watch the videos on youtube to get my Horizons fix when I need it.:mickey:

Edited for grammar content and spelling ;-)

DisneyDudet
10-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I will have to put a lot of favorites in there! I miss the original Journey into your Imagination. Figment and the Dreamfinder are some of the few things I remember from my first trip when I was 6. I will also have to add Cranium Command and Body Wars in there... The whole Wonders Of Life Pavillion was great. Again, some of my few early WDW memories. Lastly, I know I will get flamed, for this, but I LOVED Alien Encounter!! I miss it

Disney Hungarian
10-23-2010, 12:31 AM
.....I LOVED Alien Encounter!! I miss it

The first Alien Encounter was so cool before they "toned" it down. :mickey:

Hazmat
10-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Horizon's gets my vote! A proper disney ride.

ibrowse17
10-23-2010, 01:15 AM
20,000 Leagues:thumbsup:

dixielandings
10-23-2010, 02:09 AM
Absolutely - HORIZONS.

Man, I miss it. I miss it all the more when I see that monstrosity in its place. Sorry to all the M:S lovers...:blush:

TysMomTink
10-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Another vote for Horizons!

crltkcagle
10-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Oh there are so many that I miss but if I had to pick one it would be Alien Encounter. I wish my kids had a chance to see it.

cetacean01
10-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Alien Encounter.........

sorcerer fan
10-23-2010, 09:55 AM
the original Alien Encounter with the blood spraying on you in the dark. also world of motion. and the 360 with robin williams.

cather74
10-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Horizons no contest. Although the Original Journey into Imagination is a close second. I like Magic journeys but the witch with the lightening bolts used to scare the poop out of me.:scared:

jlmct52
10-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Still another vote for Horizons. I was devastated when it closed. At least, I too, am still able to enjoy the online videos.

Joannelet
10-23-2010, 11:56 AM
When I was little my siblings and I had no real interest in Epcot. BUT the 2 things we couldn't wait to ride when there was Horizons and the original Journey into Imagination.
Horizons was just so cool with the choose your own scene button at the end. I should look it up on you tube. I miss that ride dearly. How cool was the part of seeing people live underwater?
Why they would ever get rid of that ride is beyond me :(
I was a cast member during the time Journey Into Imagination was about to close. My brother was there visiting me and we rode it the last day it was opened before they destroyed it :( I am honored to say I rode it on it's very last day. I am sad to see what it has become. Figment was such a cool icon for Epcot. I was just looking through an old box of mine for my son and found a Figment head magnet and my figment stuffed dolls. It made me so sad that it is NOT what it used to be.

AdventurerKim
10-23-2010, 04:18 PM
1. World of Motion
2. Horizons
3. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
4. Skyway
5. Journey Into Imagination (original)

I want them all back! :thumbsup:

PETE FROM NYC
10-23-2010, 04:47 PM
We have been visiting since 1975, so there are a lot of gone attractions we miss.
In no particular order:
Horizons
World of Motion
the original Figment
Wonders of Life
Legend of the Lion King
Mickey Mouse Revue
If You Had Wings, Delta Dreamflight
original Universe of Energy
original Living Seas
Time Keeper

faline
10-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh goodness, there are so many things that I miss!

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
The Skyway
The original Figment ride
World of Motion
Horizons
The original Backstage Tour in Disney Studios (with the street backdrops)

I'm sure there are more if I took the time to think about it some!

wdwfansince75
10-23-2010, 09:41 PM
If You Had Wings, Skyway, 20,000 Leagues, Horizons, Mr Toad, World of Motion, original Journey, Kitchen Kaberet....but Horizons most of all!

Disney Hungarian
10-23-2010, 09:50 PM
I have another favorite that I miss that hasn't been mentioned yet. I do so very much miss the Penny Arcade. It was so cool when I was younger in DL and when I went to WDW it was nice to see it was there too. I miss putting my penny in and cranking the handle to watch the photos flap over to create the illusion of a movie.:mickey:

[edit]

If Walt were alive today; I think there would be quite a few pink slips handed out to the folks in charge of the direction that Main Street has taken. Just my 2 cents and rant.

jnfr2424
10-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Can you tell by my signature what ride I miss the most?! I too also miss 20k, dream flight, skyway, world of motion, original spaceship earth, Mickey mouse review, in fact the old main street with the penny arcade, the magic shop and the flower carts, superstar tv

TinkerbellsMom
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM
Horizons, original Journey into Imagination, and Wonders of Life Pavilion...EPCOT at it's finest.

I can still smell the orange grove in Horizons....

MCeee
10-24-2010, 11:21 AM
1= Horizons
2= Delta Dreamflight
3= The "original" Journey Into Imagination"
:)

Horizon One
10-24-2010, 11:54 AM
For me it would have to be Horizons. I can still remember the ride. Getting to choose the way that you got home was always fun. I remember going on it a few times one trip just to see which way home was the most cool. I still think the desert way was.
The smell of the orange grove was great too. There is a air freshener that smells like oranges and every time we use it, I journey back to Horizons. :mickey:
I also miss 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Mr. Toads Wild Ride.

gmgdisneymom
10-24-2010, 04:34 PM
MR TOADS WILD RIDE :mad:

Pat Ryan
10-24-2010, 08:15 PM
1. Alien Encounter
2. original Journey into Imagination

joonyer
10-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Mine would be 20k, mainly for reasons of nostalgia. If it were still there today I would probably think it was smelly, leaky and the underwater effects (fish on strings) would be so lame I probably would pass on riding it.

More recently: Cranium Command. I really wish they would reopen this one.

BigThunderFan
10-25-2010, 01:53 PM
20,000 Leagues
Mr Toad
Horizons
Skyway
Mission to Mars

Granny Jill A
10-25-2010, 02:28 PM
Delta Dreamflight
Horizons
Wonders of Life (that funny show about adolescence)

Instead of creating a brand new concept for a park, I wish they would recreate the old favorites - wishful thinking, I know.

angie12210
10-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I know it wasn't an attraction per say but I miss The Adventurers Club. What was Disney thinking when they let that one go. I have some really awesome memories of my 11 yr old nephew (now 22) being brought up on stage to be part of the show. Kungaloosh!! Somethin like that! Love, love, loved it.:(

CosmicRay
10-26-2010, 07:56 PM
DH would say Horizons
I would say Imagination

Evil Genius
10-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Journey into Imagination

Alien Encounter

The COMPLETE Studios backstage tour

Coleby
10-27-2010, 06:55 PM
No specific order....

Horizons
Alien Encounter
World of Motion
Original Figment
Kitchen Kaberet

I also miss the fireworks show at Hollywood Studios with the giant Sorcerers Mickey that came up from the back of the Chinese Theater....everything was done to movie music...it was great!

Polynesian Dweller
10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
There are many to choose from but my top ones are all at Epcot and were Epcot at it's best.

Horizons
World of Motion
Kitchen Kabaret
Original Journey Into Imagination

They were all creative and imaginative and Disney needs to try to find this level again. Seems lost now.

AllDisney
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Horizons
Figment - The original
Mr. Toads Wild Ride
Food Rocks

PopeCharming
10-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Absolutely Horizons and JII. those two were heartwarming, slow-paced, thoughtful, and yes, imaginative.

To list some of the others that I miss-- Dreamflight, Kitchen Kaberet, Mr. Toad, Image Works, and both the Cronkite and Irons versions of Spaceship Earth.

And while it wasn't its own ride-- I do miss the funny sketches they showed on closed-circuit tv while you were waiting in line at Space Mountain. What a fun way to pass the time!

disneyfansinceage2
10-29-2010, 04:38 PM
We have been visiting since 1975, so there are a lot of gone attractions we miss.
In no particular order:
Horizons
World of Motion
the original Figment
Wonders of Life
Legend of the Lion King
Mickey Mouse Revue
If You Had Wings, Delta Dreamflight
original Universe of Energy
original Living Seas
Time Keeper

I loved Legend of the Lion King too.. Funny I've never really seen it talked about on here. I went to AK on our last trip and was hoping for that same feeling.. and though it is a great live show... it just wasn't the same. Not that I don't love Philharmagic of course.

JabberJaws
11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Without a doubt to me it would be Alien Encounter. This was, and still is to this day, one of my all time favorite theme park attractions. Considering when it came out, it was a technological masterpiece, and was genuinely frightening. Unfortunately, I think it was too frightening for some, and that ultimately led to its demise.

Gator
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Without a doubt to me it would be Alien Encounter. Considering when it came out, it was a technological masterpiece, and was genuinely frightening. Unfortunately, I think it was too frightening for some, and that ultimately led to its demise.

I haven't been going to WDW long enough to miss anything, with the exception of Alien Encounter. It was a scary ride, but it was also an adult ride that was fun. Now it's a kid ride that's lame.

JabberJaws
11-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I haven't been going to WDW long enough to miss anything, with the exception of Alien Encounter. It was a scary ride, but it was also an adult ride that was fun. Now it's a kid ride that's lame.

I agree. I loved it for the fact that it was thrilling and scary. I know that Disney strives to have attractions that people of all ages can enjoy, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the occasional attraction that is a bit more thrilling and may not appeal to some. There were warnings all over the place about the attraction being frightening and everything that went on inside, yet parents would still constantly complain about their kids getting scared on it and that it was too scary. Maybe if they took the warnings seriously they would have known perhaps it wasn't for their kid?

I dunno I just hate that it got turned into the watered down, cheesy mess that is SGE.

AE always has been and always will be one of my all time favorite theme park attractions, not just at WDW but in any amusement/theme park that I've ever been to.

WDWPrincess
11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I miss Horizons - especially the IMAX screen that was inside the ride

Kwesty
11-04-2010, 03:49 PM
HORIZONS! (This was my favorite ride of all the parks. I couldn't BELIEVE it when I heard it was gone!)
World of Motion (I'm not a huge fan of Test Track so that makes it even more sad!)
Legend of the Lion King (I really loved this too!)
Dream flight

LandFan
11-04-2010, 07:42 PM
The first Alien Encounter was so cool before they "toned" it down. :mickey:

I miss AE too!

harmon_174
11-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I will have to say I miss the old Journey Into Imagination a lot but I really don't have a problem with the new one. A lot of people rag on the new version all the time but I appreciate it for what it is. This is one of my family's all time favorite attractions. My mother recalls having the experience of the old Journey Into Imgaination with her father that is now passed away. Even though the new ride is completely different than what it was it still is nostalgic for me. Even with being completely different it still makes me feel like I have a connection with my Grandfather. This was a ride that he greatly enjoyed and and even if it changes a million times nothing will make me enjoy this ride less.

BeachClubBum
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Adventurers Club- Most rides last a couple of minutes, but I would spend at least 3 hours every trip in the Adventurers Club.

On the other hand I think its time for the Speedway to either be upgraded or closed. A lot of space is wasting away there.

valjane
11-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I have a hard time deciding between Horizons, World of Motion, and Toad. Don't make me choose!

Mousemates
11-29-2010, 07:05 PM
1. Mr. Toad

2. Swan Boats

3. Skyway

Jungle Joe Bob
11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
1 World of Motion
2 Kitchen Kaberet
3 Real Backlot Tram tour

Marceline
11-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Horizons was and still is my favorite ride of all time. I am still upset that it is gone. *sigh* :sob:

mainemajor
12-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I will have to put a lot of favorites in there! I miss the original Journey into your Imagination. Figment and the Dreamfinder are some of the few things I remember from my first trip when I was 6. I will also have to add Cranium Command and Body Wars in there... The whole Wonders Of Life Pavillion was great. Again, some of my few early WDW memories. Lastly, I know I will get flamed, for this, but I LOVED Alien Encounter!! I miss it

Add to this the Penny Arcade and Magic Shop on Main St. and of course River Country.
I like both of the water parks, but River Country had that old fashioned "Let's have fun" feel to it and ou did not feel you needed to spend an entire day there although yu easily could.

SandmanGStefani24
02-04-2011, 11:19 AM
of course Body Wars always comes to mind. I loved the infomative part of the ride as well as the action itself. Was so bummed to see it go.

Don't get me wrong I love Test Track but World of Motion was also another great ride. Dark rides are a hit with me and so are cars.

Rio del Tiempo is also a ride I miss. Nothing against Donald, but he and his buddies ruined that one.

I didn't think about the REAL Backlot tour until Jungle Joe Bob brought it up, but that sure was fun to see all that when it was complete. Too bad most of it is gone.

And it's a little early but gonna throw Star Tours in here too. Hope the next ride is just as good or better.

UCJen
02-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Basically, all of Future World at Epcot.

While it's still my favorite park by far, it's just not the same one I loved as a child. :(

DixieBri
02-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is always the first thing that comes to my mind. I can't seem to enjoy the Winnie the Pooh ride because I'm always thinking about Mr. Toad's! Having the 2 different tracks was great and some of my favorite memories are pretending to drive the carriages. Horizons would have to be my second choice. If only the World were big enough to fit new and old rides! :dance:

Zawadi
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I miss the Animation tour when a real animator introduced a character then the LCD windows cleared to show the animators at work.

The last time that we saw this was when Brother Bear was in production and Koda was drawn for us.

WDWfanatic742
02-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Wonder's of Life and Alien Encounter are tied on my list. I can't think of much else that I can remember memories wise, so that's why I'm not saying WoM or Horizons. But those looked so cool back in the day...

AndrewJackson
02-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Interesting topic! I have been going to WDW since 1972. Honestly, I would love to ride nearly every extinct attracation one more time. Here are some of my favorites:

Magic Kingdom:
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
If You Had Wings
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Epcot:
Pretty much all of Future World
Horizons
World of Motion
Listen to the Land - with the original song!
Kitchen Kabaret
Living Seas
etc, etc, etc....

Tigerinvestigator
02-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I miss being able to just walk on If You Had Wings/ Dreamflight anytime the park was really crowded and you got tired of walking and wanted to ride something....in all of our trips I never saw a line and this ride was so relaxing!

Also miss Horizons, World of Motion, and 20,000 leagues as well!:thumbsup:

fysh
02-05-2011, 08:09 PM
I miss the Skyway:(

johnO
02-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Toad, 20,000 Leagues, Body Wars...What about the Timekeeper?

Victor Kelly
02-05-2011, 10:03 PM
This is not in any specific order.

MK
1. The non PC POTC
2. If you had wings
3. Mr Toad
4. 20,000
5. The skyway
6. The non PC Jungle Cruise
7. Original alien Encounter

EPCOT CENTER
1. Horizons
2. World of Motion
3. Original Imagination Pavilion
4. Odessey Restaurant
5. Kitchen Cabaret (veggie fruit fruit veggie veggie fruit fruit.

Tigerinvestigator
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
I also would like to add the Adventureland Veranda and more specifically the Polynesian Burgers! Don't know if they were as good as I remember but as a child, you give me the Poly burger with that special sweet and sour sauce, a box of raisins and a fruit punch with a paper straw and I was in heaven......or at least I think I was!:thumbsup:

ransam
02-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Definitly Mr. Toad.

WDWgoofy
02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Main St (before it was only gift shops)

The original Animation Studio tour

The live-people show at the Diamond Horseshoe Saloon

Tapestry of Dreams parade

Alien Encounter

Victor Kelly
02-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I also would like to add the Adventureland Veranda and more specifically the Polynesian Burgers! Don't know if they were as good as I remember but as a child, you give me the Poly burger with that special sweet and sour sauce, a box of raisins and a fruit punch with a paper straw and I was in heaven......or at least I think I was!:thumbsup:

OH yeah the paper straws!! I remember them when I was a kid (been going since I was 6 months old. 75 was my first trip). Wow paper straws, those were the days.:joy::joy:

LudwigVonDrake
02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Alien Encounter. I miss that attraction. It was awesome :scared:

Pop Centurion
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Alien Encounter for sure. But maybe I'm biased since that's the only extinct ride I've actually been on. Never had the pleasure of Mr Toad which many loved.

DryCreek
02-08-2011, 09:00 PM
I see a lot of votes for Alien Encounter (first edition).
Anyone here old enough to remember what ride predated AE?
I do. It was pretty cool at the time, but not much for visual effects.

Ah, the Skyway. I remember what being a target was in those days. See, when you got liberty (time off) while stationed at the Naval Base in Orlando (boot camp, some "A" schools, Navy Nuclear Power School) you had to wear your uniform off base until you advanced above E-3. Well, in those days we wore hats called "Dixie Cups (http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-navy-white-service-hat-dixie-cup-9626.aspx)". If you were under the Skyway, the kind folks up in the air would treat your hat as if it was a target. Pennies were OK, quarters, not so much so!

I agree with others too, they ruined El Rio Del Tiempo in the Mexico Pavilion.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I guess I could say Minnie and Mickey's Houses now since they are going....other than that, Alien Encounter:mickey:

wedway76
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
For me, hands down, no question it is "20000 Leagues".

It looked as good from te outside as it did when you were on the ride.

Pan
02-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Something I couldn't experience anywhere but World Showcase....Ringness :beer:

spoiled
02-13-2011, 09:53 AM
the whole Wonders Of Life Pavillion and E.T Alein Encounter. BEST EVER! Why get rid of it?

Disneyfan28
02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
1. 20,000 Leagues
2. Skyway
3. Alien Encounter

iluvdumbo
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM
1. Food Rocks
2. Cranium Command

PinKy
02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Alien Encounter (so ridiculous that they took that out - what a shame!!) and the Wonders of Life Pavilion at Epcot.

PinKy
02-22-2011, 05:27 PM
the whole Wonders Of Life Pavillion and E.T Alein Encounter. BEST EVER! Why get rid of it?

:number1: Those were my exact ones!!! Great minds think alike. :mickey:

CKDHaven
02-22-2011, 06:34 PM
20,000 Leagues
If You Had Wings

tiggerbuddy
02-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Another vote for Horizons here !!!:mickey:

cal5755
02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
its been forever since I posted here on intercot!

I have to say I miss the original Figment - one of my favorite memories of my first visit.
20,000 leagues
The wonder of Life pavilion
and I loved Alien Encounter too.

My youngest is 7 and she misses the old ending on space ship earth, but that is still her favorite ride.

GoBlueLacheta
02-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Seems like you could build an entire park with the quality rides and attractions that are now gone at WDW. Change is necessary but it is a shame that certain rides and attractions that desperately need an update or a removal stick around and others fall by the wayside.

Disney has been successful with some updates and changes and has failed a bit with others. Hopefully the Snow White update is in the positive column.

Sad Extinctions:

Cranium Command. It was funny and timeless.

Alien Encounter

The WOL Pavillion. So many options and neat attractions they could have in there this day in age.

Mr. Toad's Wild Wild. Partial because this was one of my favorites as a child. It was one of the few attractions in FL geared toward boys in a predominatly princess setting.

The Original Backlot Tour. It could really be a headliner again if they put some effort into it. But it's all dollars dollars so the less people it takes to make the ride operate the better sense it makes for Disney.

The Orignal Animation Tour. No offense to Mushu.

RedHead
02-24-2011, 08:17 PM
I see a lot of votes for Alien Encounter (first edition).
Anyone here old enough to remember what ride predated AE?
I do. It was pretty cool at the time, but not much for visual effects.

I do. I started going when I was 10. I loved Mission to Mars - it was probably the best predecessor of Mission:Space there was, without going to Cape Canaveral. I never did care for Alien Encounter, and Stitch certainly is no improvement, either, for me!

Ah, the Skyway. I remember what being a target was in those days. See, when you got liberty (time off) while stationed at the Naval Base in Orlando (boot camp, some "A" schools, Navy Nuclear Power School) you had to wear your uniform off base until you advanced above E-3. Well, in those days we wore hats called "Dixie Cups (http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-navy-white-service-hat-dixie-cup-9626.aspx)". If you were under the Skyway, the kind folks up in the air would treat your hat as if it was a target. Pennies were OK, quarters, not so much so!

Ah, you were one of the lovely men in uniform that we liked to sit back and watch....always something about a man in uniform....thank you for your service! :thumbsup:

foolishmortal83
02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
although it may have been cheesey..i always loved "delta dream flight".. :)

Ramblingman
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow. Talk about memories. Just reading these comments have brought a flood of them.

Okay, for mine, I would probably go with the following:

20,000 Leagues - because it stood out in my youth and it was really the first one that I "missed" when it went away.

Journey Into Imagination - the original Figment. Nuff said.

The intros shown while in queue for Space Mountain - Yes! I loved those and miss them still.

Penny Arcade - I had forgotten about that one until someone brought it up. Shame on me.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - another fun one that is missed.

Backlot Tram Tour - absolutely.

Living Seas

Skyway - BTW, the bit about the Dixie Cups was too funny. Even though I grew up less than an hour away, I had to go to San Diego for Boot, so I never had to do WDW in uniform. I always felt for the sailors I saw in whites.

pamickeys
03-02-2011, 03:32 PM
20,000 Leagues easy