PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n' Rollercoaster

Suz36
10-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Two trips ago I finally got to experience this ride, and absolutely loved it! On our most recent trip, we took another spin, and it really knocked me for a loop. The launch literally took my breath away, and I couldn't catch it for what felt like 15-20 seconds. Has anyone ever experienced something similar? I do have a history of high blood pressure, well controlled on low dose medication. This past ride has me scared to try it again, no matter how much I love it!

SpecJoe Magic
10-21-2010, 04:35 AM
There are times when Rock 'n' Roller Coaster makes me feel lightheaded. It never makes me feel sick, thankfully, but I do contemplate riding it when I don't feel my best. That said, I don't ever remember being at Hollywood Studios when it was open and not riding it.

Strmchsr
10-21-2010, 08:31 AM
You're experiencing G-loading. The "launch" of RNRC is a very similar system to what they use to chuck airplanes off of aircraft carriers. Your body experiences a moderate amount of g-force when you are launched, which forces blood away from the heart/brain and can leave those susceptible a little lightheaded and breathless. As long as those effects don't last long after the ride you shouldn't worry about it. If it causes long-term issues, then you shouldn't ride it.

Belster
10-21-2010, 09:18 AM
This attraction hit 4.5 g's...Mission space hits something like 3 or 3.8 cannot remember. You will most def feel it in your stomach.

I am a roller coaster jumkie but yes I do recall feeling the same way minus loosing my breath for that long.

Suz36
10-21-2010, 03:18 PM
You're experiencing G-loading. The "launch" of RNRC is a very similar system to what they use to chuck airplanes off of aircraft carriers. Your body experiences a moderate amount of g-force when you are launched, which forces blood away from the heart/brain and can leave those susceptible a little lightheaded and breathless. As long as those effects don't last long after the ride you shouldn't worry about it. If it causes long-term issues, then you shouldn't ride it.

Thanks for the great explanation - it really reassures me that it will be OK for me to ride again!

Frog
10-21-2010, 03:26 PM
for those of you that ride coasters alot...
have you noticed a difference of how you feel when your sinus passages are full vs when they are not? (maybe i need to start another thread, sorry for changing topic some...)

Strmchsr
10-21-2010, 03:58 PM
have you noticed a difference of how you feel when your sinus passages are full vs when they are not? (maybe i need to start another thread, sorry for changing topic some...)

Definitely. Since g-forces cause "squeeze" clogged sinuses can created vertigo and dizziness as well as sinus discomfort. I usually avoid g-loading rides when I have sinus issues.

KAT1811
10-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the great explanation - it really reassures me that it will be OK for me to ride again!

To be on the safe side I would discuss the experience with your doctor and get a professional opinion before riding again. Why take a chance?

joonyer
10-22-2010, 03:07 PM
This is from a report on a scientific study done on roller-coaster G forces (including Rock 'n Roller Coaster at DHS). You can find the complete report by doing an internet serach.

"The biggest risk of high Gs is a loss of consciousness as blood pools in the limbs and away from the brain. But these effects are from sustained Gs over an average of 43 seconds. High G maneuvers on roller coasters, however, rarely last more than three seconds. As the researchers point out, an average person could momentarily experience eight to ten Gs by plopping down onto the couch to watch Top Gun."

"What we should be concerned about is not G forces, but the effects of rapid head acceleration -- the rotational force on the brain that occurs as the body quickly changes directions," said co-author David F. Meaney, PhD, of Penn's Department of Bioengineering, "And, when we predict head accelerations in roller coasters -- the sudden twists and turns -- we find that they are well within established safety margins. It does not appear that roller coasters produce high enough forces to mechanically deform and injure the brain."

"The amount of rotational acceleration known to create injury in the white matter of the brain are roughly 18 times higher than the maximum accelerations calculated on the roller coasters. For healthy people who meet the size requirements for the ride, you are probably safer on the average roller coasters than driving to the amusement park."

crltkcagle
10-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Wow! That's very informative. Kind of makes me never want to ride another coaster again. LOL! Thanks for sharing.

This is from a report on a scientific study done on roller-coaster G forces (including Rock 'n Roller Coaster at DHS). You can find the complete report by doing an internet serach.

"The biggest risk of high Gs is a loss of consciousness as blood pools in the limbs and away from the brain. But these effects are from sustained Gs over an average of 43 seconds. High G maneuvers on roller coasters, however, rarely last more than three seconds. As the researchers point out, an average person could momentarily experience eight to ten Gs by plopping down onto the couch to watch Top Gun."

"What we should be concerned about is not G forces, but the effects of rapid head acceleration -- the rotational force on the brain that occurs as the body quickly changes directions," said co-author David F. Meaney, PhD, of Penn's Department of Bioengineering, "And, when we predict head accelerations in roller coasters -- the sudden twists and turns -- we find that they are well within established safety margins. It does not appear that roller coasters produce high enough forces to mechanically deform and injure the brain."

"The amount of rotational acceleration known to create injury in the white matter of the brain are roughly 18 times higher than the maximum accelerations calculated on the roller coasters. For healthy people who meet the size requirements for the ride, you are probably safer on the average roller coasters than driving to the amusement park."

EJS-Houston
10-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Definitely. Since g-forces cause "squeeze" clogged sinuses can created vertigo and dizziness as well as sinus discomfort. I usually avoid g-loading rides when I have sinus issues.

Plus, I would think your sinuses being full could affect your inner-ear which affects your sense of balance.

CzepielCrew
10-26-2010, 09:16 AM
That ride scared the heck out of me! I love rides and I don't know, that one was tough.

AndyMan
10-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I still can't believe you don't see more people chicken out in line after they see one of the limos take off before they ride it themselves