PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Electrical Parade vs. Spectromagic

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Can anyone tell me the different between these? It seems as though people are very excited that the MSEP has been extended over Spectromagic and I was just wondering why, I thought they were very similar things.

Also does anyone know the dates these have been running over the last 6 years or so because I have been a few times and I'm now confused as to which one I saw when I was there.

Thanks!

phlo8810
10-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I would also like to know what the difference is.

Stu29573
10-20-2010, 02:34 PM
The floats are different, for one thing. The music is totally different. The lighting effects are different. If I had to sum it up, I would say the MSEP has more of a nostalgic "Main Street" feel to it (almost like a mad scientist at the turn of the last century invented a parade using electricity) while SM has a futuristic feel to it. I can't really explain why I think that, it's just the impression I have always had. Maybe it has to do with the synthisized voice in the intro saying:

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Walt Disney World proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electro-synthe-magnetic musical sounds. The Main Street Electrical Parade!"

I do like the music for MSEP quite a bit. It's called Baroque Hoedown... That's about all I can think of right off the bat...

Pastcastmemberdaughter
10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
The basic idea of both parades are the same. I parade made of floats and walking characters that light up.

In my opion the biggest difference between the two is that Spectromagic was mainly themed around Fantasia with a couple of princess things thrown in. But even with the princesses the only one that really had a themed float was the "Little Mermaid". And although very pretty, I couldn't figure out the meaning of the cast members dressed up as butterflies and dragonflies, other than a "filler". They really didn't relate to any movie that I can think of.

The MSEP to me actually follows more of a storyline. It focuses on many Disney movies like Alice in Wonderland, Petes Dragon, Tinkerbell, Cinderella and Snow White are all examples of units in the parade. I think guest can relate to the parade more because they can recognize more characters and float themes. The music for this parade is also more catchy to me. The day we went to see this parade the guest on main street starting clapping with the music, it was so much fun!

Also I think one of the bigget things is that repeat guest remember the MSEP from when they were younger and it's a nice run down memory lane for themselves. It also giving them a chance to share something from their childhood and/or younger years to new family members.

Again all my opinion but both parades are still fun and very pretty to watch.

Gator
10-20-2010, 02:59 PM
MSEP is the older version, with the music being very techno 70s. SpectroMagic is a lot better in my opinion. It is very Disney, if you will. The music has Disney movie classic songs inserted into the overall parade music. And the lighting is incredible. My favorite part is when the Cinderella pumpkin turns into a stunning white carraige. Stuff like that happens all througout. You'll love either one, but I hope Spectro is going when I return.

magicofdisney
10-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I saw MSEP for the first time last month. It was great to finally see it but I still prefer Spectromagic. The music in MSEP was the same thing over and over. I much prefer Spectro's music. I did like the throwback to earlier Disney films in the MSEP, but it didn't give me the chills the way Spectro does. I know everyone has their favorites and the reasons for them. Probably for me it was because Spectro was my first nighttime parade.

faline
10-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Both are wonderful parades. The Main Street Electrical Parade is the original evening parade that featured lit floats. The music is contageous and those who visited Disney World in its earliest years saw this parade.

The Main Street Electrical Parade was replaced by Spectromagic. The technology was improved and the show and music were updated and includes, as noted, scenes from Fantasia.

At one point, The Main Street Electrical Parade was brought back to the Magic Kingdom and was then, again, replaced by Spectromagic.

I went to Disney this summer specifically for the opportunity to see the Main Street Electrical Parade again. I'm glad they extended its stay and hope to be able to see it again before it leaves!

Daisy'sMom
10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
There is nothing like the MSEP!!! It is the best, hands down. All others try but fail.:mickey:

Disney Hungarian
10-20-2010, 06:40 PM
I won't say if one is better than the other. But, MSEP was my first "night" parade and as such it will always be special to me. Sometimes a walk down memory lane is nice. I so enjoyed seeing it again.

SpecJoe Magic
10-21-2010, 08:48 AM
I must stay true to my Intercot user name by saying that I like Spectro Magic better. It is a lot more elegant and has a dreamlike feel that fits in well with what the Magic Kingdom is all about whereas the Main Street Electrical Parade is fun and upbeat but seems tied more to just Main Street and not as much to the park as a whole. Having said that, I would like to see the MSEP at the Magic Kingdom again mainly because of the nostalgic feeling I get when I see it.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
10-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses.......Does anyone have the dates that both have been running in Disney?

Disney Hungarian
10-21-2010, 09:50 AM
In WDW, I believe MSEP ran from 1977 to 1991. It was replaced by SpectroMagic, which ran from 1991 to 1999 and then reopened in 2001.

Dakota Rose
10-22-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought I read somewhere that in 2011 MSEP is making a re-appearance at MK and Spectro is taking a break?