PDA

View Full Version : smoking during pregnancy ?!?!?

bouncer
10-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Sorry, I really need to vent. I know someone (actually 2 women) who are continuing to smoke during pregnancy and it absolutely infuriates me! Their reply is that they have cut back but I don't find that is acceptable. Please help me understand how someone who is trying to get pregnant and succeeds can continue to smoke??:mad:

Scar
10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Are they smoking in the designated areas? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Please help me understand ...The serious answer is that it is an addiction and people who don’t have an addiction can never understand what it is like to have one.

DizneyRox
10-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Stupidity?

bouncer
10-19-2010, 10:46 PM
An addiction over the health of your unborn child? Parents are supposed to protect their children not willfully hurt them.

P.S. yes it is in the designated area ;) .... still infuriating though because they go past me on their way to smoke

Jen C.
10-20-2010, 12:42 AM
The serious answer is that it is an addiction and people who don’t have an addiction can never understand what it is like to have one.

Exactly. It is infuriating, but all addictions do affect others. A parent who chronically eats to the point of morbid obesity, is affecting his/her child by increasing their risk of death and henceforth orpahining the child. The same holds true for drinkers, gamblers, or any other addicts, whose problems lose precious family time, and monies.

It is simply upsetting to see. I so wish people would seek the help available to them.

bostonsam
10-20-2010, 09:35 AM
An addiction over the health of your unborn child? Parents are supposed to protect their children not willfully hurt them.

P.S. yes it is in the designated area ;) .... still infuriating though because they go past me on their way to smoke

right on!!!to see a woman with a big baby belly and smoking is disgusting:sick:I've heard of a situation of maybe you smoked because you hadn't known yet but then stopped when finding out you are also heard of ppl who did their whole pregnancy and nothing happened,luckily;but that's taking a Huge chance if you ask me:confused:on a lighter note I quit during both my children's pregnancies(in the past 6 ys used to need 1 now & then)but happy to report haven't had 1 at all in a couple years(yay)

DizNee143
10-20-2010, 10:18 AM
i know ive heard..that if you were smoking before you found out you were pregnant..that you shouldnt completely stop..because like you have all said already..it is an addiction..and if you were stop cold turkey..not only would you being through withdrawals and what not so would your baby..so i know a few people who were told by there drs to just cut down..or to slowly stop smoking..so the baby wont go through the trama of withdrawals and what not..
ive been a smoker..i seem to be going back and forth..but i stopped when i was pregnant..
to each there own..
if you brought this question up about 50 years ago it wouldnt be nearly as big of a deal...many women smoked back then when they were pregnant and there are still many many people living..so again..
to each there own..:mickey:

diz_girl
10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
The serious answer is that it is an addiction and people who don’t have an addiction can never understand what it is like to have one.

:ditto:

As someone with family members who have battled addiction, I agree. Addiction is an extremely selfish act and it is very difficult to stop. You mention that you don't find their behavior acceptable, however I doubt that they'll change their behavior because you want them to. If they don't want to (or can't) quit entirely, any nagging on your part won't make a lick of difference. If you have that big of a problem with it, then you have to make a choice, either don't associate with them for the time being or just deal with it.

As for your friends (or acquaintances) continuing to smoke, but cutting back, maybe that's all that they can do right now. If they're going from a pack (or two) a day habit to a couple of cigarettes a day, then that's a lot of adjustment for them. Some can quit cold turkey and some can't. If they're only smoking a couple of cigarettes a day, then they're probably getting less smoke into their lungs than all of the second-hand smoke a pregnant non-smoker would have gotten back in the 60's when my mother was pregnant with me. I'm not saying that your friends' behavior is fine, it's not (I'm pregnant now myself), but maybe they're just doing what they can.

joonyer
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM

I agree seeing pregnant women smoking is infuriating, but the truth is, there's nothing immediate you can do about it.

bostonsam
10-20-2010, 12:38 PM
um yeah:confused:the affects of smoking are far more worse than some withdrawl thing:confused:mentioned...I mean when you quit smoking all I wanted to do was eat lol so if you're pregnant,even better:blush:needless to say to me it's a really really wise choice to not smoke when you're carrying a child...duh!?

Ian
10-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Guys ... really?? Does this seem in any way, shape, or form like an INTERCOT appropriate topic?

Thread closed. I'm sure there are boards where this type of conversation is appropriate. This ain't one of them.