PDA

View Full Version : 83 Days til Disney Marathon, Who else is in?

dnickels
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM
So, we're 83 days away from the Disney Marathon and I remember a lot of people saying they were thinking about doing it, wanting to do it, planning to do it, but who is actually in and how is your training going?

Joannelet
10-18-2010, 09:08 PM
My husband is doing it so I have to speak for him (or write for him) I should say...
This is his first FULL. He has done many halves....so he's a bit nervous. He just ran his first 14 miles yesterday.
He is determined though!! :) How is your training going?
I give credit to all the runners because I don't think I could run a mile without passing out :)
Good luck to you too!!! The medal is beautiful! I got to see it in person when my hubby ran the Philly half marathon recently. The Disney Marathon people were there displaying it :)

Melanie
10-19-2010, 06:17 AM
I give credit to all the runners because I don't think I could run a mile without passing out :)

Me too! :thumbsup:

My hubby is doing the Goofy Challenge this year, his second time doing the Challenge and third time running the marathon.

He is also doing the 5K with my sons, ages 12 and 10. They are really excited!

Good luck to all you runners and have fun with your training. I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. :cheer:

wilcat
10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I personally will not be running but I am coming down with family and friends who will be. We have 4 doing the Goofy Challange, 2 doing the half run, and 3 doing the half walk. Also the 4 kids will be running their mile. :thumbsup: I was designated baby sitter while the adults are running and walking but any excuse to go to WDW works for me. Maybe if I can loose some weight I can walk the half in 2012 - here's hoping. Good luck to all the runners and walkers I know how hard you all train and you deserve your medals. Maybe I'll see some of you there.

Cathy

DisnIse
10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
I had the choice between doing the Goofy or having my husband run the marathon with me. :confused:
Decided to run together, which is great. I just did the Chicago marathon last weekend, so I'm taking very short rest break.
His training is going well - he's doing the Hal Higdon plan. I plan on jumping back in next week.
Why did I think we were already in the 70'ish day countdown???

dnickels
10-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Great to see at least a few! I'm doing the Goofy challenge though I'm in one of the wheelchair (handcycle) divisions. I've basically just been getting out for an hour or so of riding everyday with longer rides on the weekends. Just bought a new handcycle today that's a lot faster than my old one so I think I'll be among the leaders (though to be fair there usually aren't more than a few of us).

rubato
10-30-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm in for my first Goofy challenge. It's also my first full, but I can handle it. :thumbsup:
I ran 18 last week for my long run. That's the longest I've ever run. It felt great. I pulled a muscle during a zumba class, so I'm taking a week off to try to get it under control, but I have a 20 miler next Saturday that I really need to get in in order to stick to my training schedule.

I'm a little overwhelmed by how huge these races are. My little dinky local halves are nothing compared to this. I'm hoping to PR in the half. Then, I'd really like to finish the full in 4 to 4 1/2 hours. I'm not in a hurry on that one, because I'll be tired.

A Big Kid
10-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Im in!

I ran the Mount Lemmon marathon two weeks ago. Its the only uphill marathon in the US. over 6,000 feet of climbing.

I ran 22 yesterday in preperation for the San Antonio marathon in two weeks.

In January, I'll be running three! The Texas marathon on Jan 1, Disney on Jan 9, and Houston on Jan 30.

Yes, I am nuts.

rubato
11-07-2010, 10:01 AM
A Big Kid: Yes, you are nuts! But, more power to you! :thumbsup:

How's everyone doing with their training? I ran my first 20 miler yesterday. I am really impressed with how fast I ran it and how good I feel today. I have a 22 and a 24 miler still to do. But, getting the 20 under my belt was a big milestone for me. All the training programs say that if you can run 20, you can run a marathon. Now, we'll just have to see how I do with the marathon after having run the half the day before! :D

A Big Kid
11-07-2010, 11:35 AM
A Big Kid: Yes, you are nuts! But, more power to you! :thumbsup:

How's everyone doing with their training? I ran my first 20 miler yesterday. I am really impressed with how fast I ran it and how good I feel today. I have a 22 and a 24 miler still to do. But, getting the 20 under my belt was a big milestone for me. All the training programs say that if you can run 20, you can run a marathon. Now, we'll just have to see how I do with the marathon after having run the half the day before! :D

I think that 20 is not enough when it comes to running a marathon. I recommend at least 22 if it is your first one.

#1) you can not comprehend how far 26.2 is unless you've done it before
#2) You can probably finish 26.2 after just running 20, but it will be so painful that you probably wont want to di it again
#3) the marathon can be divided into two halfs - the first 20 miles and the last 10K. Is there any other endeavour you would like to try by only doing half of it first?

Good luck with your Goofy!

rubato
11-07-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the advice. You obviously know what you are talking about. :thumbsup:

I am shocked at how good I feel today after the 20. I thought I would be hurting, but I'm not at all. Now, let's just hope that holds true for the 22 and 24.

magicofdisney
11-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Good luck runners! My goal is to one day run a marathon, even if it's half. I tried to begin training earlier in the year, but things fell through. For now I'm just continuing with a general exercise routine. I'm doing P90X and from what I've read, it helps runners with endurance. So I haven't given up hope. My second goal is do to my first marathon at Disney. :thumbsup: :mickey:

rubato
11-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Just wanted to check in and see how everyone's training is going. We are now down to about 7 weeks til race weekend. Everyone healthy and on track?:mickey:

A Big Kid
11-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I ran the San Antonion marathon last Sunday. I was looking for something under 4 hours but............
About a mile into the run, the field got split by a freight train! I ended up on "the wrong side of the tracks" and lost about 6 minutes waiting for the freight train to pass! I ended up with a 4:04:27 dadgummit!

rubato
11-18-2010, 07:11 PM
I heard about that train. I also heard a rumor that they are going to adjust people's finishing times, but that could just be a rumor. That's a great time! Congratulations.:thumbsup: I would love to get anything under 4 hours as well. But, I'm just hoping for under 4:30 for Disney. Since I'm going for a PR in the half (1:44), I think I'll be tired for the full. I'm also running the full with someone slower than me, so I'm just looking at it as a fun experience.