PDA

View Full Version : Taking child out of school for a fun activity - what would you do?

alphamommy
10-18-2010, 04:23 PM
DD10 is a very bright 5th grader. She does well on tests, homework, etc., and is in her school's advanced program.

She and I are both HUGE fans of "The Sound of Music." To celebrate the 45th anniversary of the movie's release, it is being shown in theaters for 2 nights only, October 19 and October 26. I bought tickets, and planned to surprise her, but because of a school-related conflict, I had to spoil the surprise.

I called the theater, and found out I could switch the tickets to the 10/26 performance. However, when I went to do that yesterday, I discovered that the 10/26 performance near us has been canceled. She doesn't know this yet - I know she'll be crushed.

I went to the website that sells the tickets, and discovered that the closest showing to where we live is 55 miles away. We would be making this trip during the heart of rush hour. It would be doable, but I fear that I'll sleep through the movie!

I tried to convince DH to let her miss that day of school. I have a doctor appointment in Ann Arbor earlier in the day, and she could go with me. He disapproves of this.

I know some of her friends have been kept out of school to go to premiers of "Harry Potter" movies, and for even worse reasons than that. I also know that this would be a bad precedence to set. However, I REALLY want to see this movie in the theater!

Any opinions?

Ian
10-18-2010, 04:43 PM
This is always a hot topic, so a reminder out of the gate to try and constrain your feedback to constructive comments and refrain from any kind of personal attacks.

No brainer to me. Take her out. She's clearly a student for whom missing a day of school isn't going to be the end of the academic world (in 5th grade, is anything really?) and a day out with Mom doing something special that you both love will be a developmental and emotional bonding event that will carry a lot more weight for her in her life than learning the times tables again.

Go ... enjoy ... be guilt-free. Education is hugely important, but (in my opinion) somewhat over-emphasized. The notion that a 5th grader missing one day of school is going to be the end of the world is a tad hard for me to swallow.

How many of us have never played hookey from work to go do something we enjoy? How is this any different?

Melanie
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
Totally agree with Ian! As long as our kids are doing well in school, we're firm believers in missing a day or two throughout the school year doing something special with mom or dad. Those are the special memories they'll look back on as adults and cherish.

I think what you have planned sounds wonderful! :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
10-18-2010, 05:09 PM
I'll "third" what the other's have said. I don't see anything wrong with taking her out for one day to do something so special with her mom. I would never let my kids miss school if they were failing or already behind in any subject, and I'd never have them miss during any kind of state testing, but any other time I would do it. Good luck.

rkmemkc
10-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Totally agree! Memories are what life is made of. She will remember spending the day with you and that movie will always hold an even more special place in her heart because of it. No guilt...live life!!
:mickey:

Strmchsr
10-18-2010, 05:23 PM
I usually fall in the "don't take out of school" camp when it's a multiple day thing, but for 1 day it's not a big deal. Go and enjoy yourselves.

IrishMickey
10-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Enjoy the movie, I still remember watching this movie on the Big Screen when I was little. What a great day for both of you. Cherish the time when they are young, it only happens once and if you blink you will miss it, a friend told me this when my first child was born it is the best advice ever! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!:thumbsup:

mitchsfan
10-18-2010, 08:06 PM
As a teacher - I say Take her. The lessons she will miss will be picked by her very quickly. The memories of the day will last a lifetime!!!

For the record, I pulled my son (and wife) out of school the day of the Phillies' World Series parade in 2008. He still talks about that. And I plan on doing it again this year:)

AgentP
10-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I think you should take her. Growing up, I was always allowed one day off a year that I could spend with my Mom. I remember these days so clearly, they were a great bonding time.

jmj18
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
My vote would be take her out.

My daughter( also a 5th grader) is also a very good student and we have taken her out for a week (to visit Disney) several times since she started school. I think 1 day would be fine....as long as she makes up the work.

Have a great time!

MNNHFLTX
10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh my goodness, yes--taking her out of school for this one very special event is not setting a precedent or encouraging her to skip school in the future. As long as she's doing well in school and is not habitually absent, I cannot see the harm at all. And what special memories the two of you will make!

cer
10-18-2010, 10:06 PM
"Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow...."

I say go and don't give it another thought.....:thumbsup:

What a great memory you will share. :)

White Rose
10-18-2010, 10:18 PM
My parents did this, albeit rarely, but they did. In fact, my first trip to WDW was when I was in fifth grade and in October and they took me out for ten days! :blush:

I say, if she's doing well and is good, behavior wise, go for it. The memories, as the other posters have said, will certainly outweigh the one lost day of school work. Both of you will treasure this memory and you'll also go down as the coolest mom in history!...At least, for a little while. ;)

CleveSJM
10-18-2010, 10:24 PM
You know your child best. Sounds like she could easily miss the time and pick up on the work.

The special event will do more for her than an average day in school.

We took our eldest daughter out of grade school for special events all the time. She ended up being validictorian of her grade school and high school and earned a sweet scholarship to a great university. She credits the diversity she experienced early on with challenging her to achieve beyond everyday classwork.

Have a great time!!!

ElenitaB
10-18-2010, 11:14 PM
As she's in fifth grade, I say take her without blinking twice. Once they reach high school, it's more difficult to do so (at least in my DS' school... as tempting as it may be, I wouldn't dare think of taking him out).

Go and enjoy!

JROriole8Fan
10-19-2010, 06:39 AM
I agree taking a child out of school if they are doing well, we did so many times. However, as a DH, it is not wise to take your personal disagreement to INTERCOT to seek others opinions, especially to "support your position". As a "spouse", finding out this happened would simply make me dig my heels in further. You shouldn't take family disputes to others to resolve, they are best kept in house.

Ian
10-19-2010, 08:49 AM
For the record, I pulled my son (and wife) out of school the day of the Phillies' World Series parade in 2008. He still talks about that. And I plan on doing it again this year:)Yeah, man! I was there in '08, too, and fully expect to be there again this year.

GO PHILS!!!*

*this off topic trip has been brought to you buy The Locker Room forum.

Dznygrl79
10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Do it! I really don't think its a problem family time is important and precious. Have fun!

alphamommy
10-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the opinions!

For the record, I didn't bring this question here to settle something between DH and I. I was just wondering what other parents thought of doing something like this.

Now. To work on DH some more...

princessgirls
10-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Take her and make some memories!!!
No Brainer. She'll always remember you taking her out of school and enjoying a special event together.

On a side note... if it makes you feel any better...

I WON A CAR...And we have to go Claim it Next Wednesday. I am taking both of my kids out of school to enjoy the moment. It's a SPECIAL DAY, and they will always remember MOM winning the car!
So that being said, sometimes making memories with our children is better than being in school when special events pop up.
I have to pull them for my Sister's wedding too. It's on a Friday.

Julie:mickey:

TinkerbellsMom
10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Life's too short...make memories!

BrerGnat
10-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Take her!!!

As a child, I had lots of health issues that meant lots of doctors appointments, surgeries, etc. I had to miss school every time I had an appointment at a far away location, etc. This was all during elementary school. I was a good student, and did just fine in school.

Heck, I missed an entire morning the day I had my braces put on. I would have MUCH rather been seeing a special showing of a movie I loved...

Since this is a one time thing, do it and don't feel guilty about it. Remind your DH that she misses school whenever she's sick, which is probably not often, but that one day here and there makes NO difference, academically.

I'd not tell your daughter. Surprise her that morning after you call her in sick. :secret:

dnickels
10-20-2010, 08:29 PM
With as often as the 'take a child out of school' question gets asked I think we should come up with an objective point system.

Baseline = Zero
(+2) if child is A student
(+1) if child is B student
(-1) if child is C student
(-2) if anything less than C
(+2) if the reason is a one time event that will never happen again (shuttle launch, live sporting/music/theater event, etc.)
(-2) if the reason is for something that will be the same the next day (movie, television show)
(-5) if mom or dad butchered the English language in their original post asking the question because the child isn't going to learn much with mom or dad and needs all the class time they can get
(+5) if child is already a multimillionaire because they probably won't have to work for a living anyway

If the numbers come out positive, the child can go. If they come out negative, they stay in school. If it comes out zero, flip a coin.