PDA

View Full Version : Unexplainable attraction (to an attraction)

Laughin' place
10-14-2010, 01:39 PM
When we talk about a favorite attraction, it is often very easy to explain our love for it. Whether trying to "sell" a newbie or share enjoyment with another fan, I can build a great case for why I love some of my favorites: such as HM, PoC, Pan, ToT, Everest.
There is one attraction that I have an unexplainable attraction to, and its not exactly a fan favorite: I love that darn Circle of Life movie:blush:
Im not a huge Lion King fan (it is a favorite, but not an obsession). Nor Im I a mega environmentalist or nature buff (Im into the outdoors and nature, but not to the extreme).
I dont have any special memories of the movie with my boys that outweigh my special memories of so many other lesser attractions.
So, a couple of questions for my other Intercot friends:
1) what is your "unexplainable attraction attraction"?
2) any one else with me on a somewhat unfounded and unusual love for the Circle of Life movie?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...:simba:

MCeee
10-14-2010, 01:53 PM
For me... Carousel of Progress.:mickey:

AnnaMom
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Carousel of Progress as well!

Wrigley
10-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Another one here for Carousel of Progress!:mickey:

Hull-onian
10-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Got to see it at the New York's World Fair in 1964:mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-14-2010, 02:41 PM
The first thing that popped into my head wasn't an "attraction" but, a place. Meal actually.

On our honeymoon, the first thing we did at WDW was breakfast at Ohana's. There is no other breakfast buffet to us.

Alas, found out my 3 year old is severly allergic to eggs so, we haven't been in about 3 years to Ohana for breakfast (just won't risk it with eggs on the table and vapors in the air). We have made it a dinner tradition but, to me, it's nothing like breakfast. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'll come up with an attraction in a second...

WishingStar2006
10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
CoP is an all time favorite and I go on it every day that I'm in the MK...

Another favorite and no one in my family shares it is the Ellen's Energy Ride...love it and I'm not sure why....

Imagineer1981
10-14-2010, 03:08 PM
The old Rio De Tiempo - always had to ride it, no matter what

EpcotFan182
10-14-2010, 03:13 PM
I'm a big fan of Living With the Land and Maelstrom. I know they are not super headliners but I never miss them!:mickey:

Laughin' place
10-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I am a fan of all the others listed so far, too.
To me, CoP is really easy to "justify" -- its a classic, really bears Walt's fingerprints, awesome Sherman Bros. songs (both versions), and is entertaining, uplifting, original.
Ohana is just plain tasty! I dont think anyone needs to explain why they love that place, esp when you have such a wonderful, romantic memory attached to it.
I think Ellen is probably closest to the way I feel about Circle. There are a lot of "haters" for Energy, and purists who prefer the original version. I happen to like Ellen, and we see it every trip (at least once). Its a long attraction (the longest, I think?), so there's bang for your buck with the usually short queue; the dinos and moving seats are cool. Im not an Ellen fan per se, but I find the dated and corny story funny and entertaining. Im willing to bet there are others who are unexplainably attracted to this one.
No takers on the Hakuna Matata All-Electric Lakeside Disco Resort, eh ??:shrug:

joonyer
10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
For me it has to be Splash Mountain. Yes, we have great family memories made on it, (especially one night while riding during wishes), but we have great family memories on other attractions at WDW too, even on Primeval Whirl, so that alone doesn't explain my attraction to Splash Mountain. I think it must be the music. It just really makes me happy to ride Splash Mountain. I could ride it over and over again.

Tink1
10-14-2010, 03:41 PM
American Adventure at Epcot. No idea why I like it, but I do.

Nanc

AndyMan
10-14-2010, 03:50 PM
I've always liked the Studio Backlot tour at DHS. It wa smore fun when they actually filmed movies there and I dfeinitely miss Residential Street--but I like the idea of seeing behind the scenes stuff at a movie studio--it's a shame they abandoned all of that.

BrerGnat
10-14-2010, 04:21 PM
The Fountain of Nations at Epcot. I swear, I could sit in front of that thing and watch it all day and be happy. I love it! Love the music, love the sounds of the water canons, love it all!

cajunprincess
10-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Carousel of Progress. I HAVE to get on it everytime I go no matter what. Love it.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-14-2010, 04:56 PM
It's no longer there but, my FAVORITE PARADE EVER was Tapestry of Dreams. I love the soundtrack from it. It was an "adult" parade and we loved every minute of it.:cloud9:

For rides, nothing makes me giggle more than the tea cups. My kids LOVE the tea cups. They are sooo sad it's closed and won't be open next week.

MOJoe
10-14-2010, 05:01 PM
I'm with you on the Circle of Life. I was really surprised how much i liked it, and how much of a yawn others gave it. Maybe it's the music.

Which leads me to my favorite, somewhat off the radar attraction. I could literally watch and listen to the British Invasion all afternoon. In fact, on my last trip, i stayed on the Epcot side of the Beach Club, and ran over to England if i heard the Fab 4 start to play. You may have seen me. I was the guy standing at the front of the crowd, dancing and singing along to all the songs. :blush:

Daisy'sMom
10-14-2010, 06:16 PM
COP for us. But my inlaws love Circle of Life and have to go there everytime.:mickey:

bopeepfan
10-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I actually really enjoy the train. I have no idea why since I can ride one closer to home and I really don't as much at the Six Flags at my state. I really don't know but I love the train in Disney World.

Another one that I love and don't know why is Muppet Show. My mom I mean she likes it but she could skip it. I love it and HAVE to do the muppet show.

kcrc
10-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok - my evil pleasure is Small World. I know - the song goes through my head for the whole trip. But, I always see something new everytime I go on it.

crltkcagle
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I think mine is the Tikki Room don't know why I love it but I do!

rmdsmomluvup
10-14-2010, 10:38 PM
It's a Small World...drives my husband crazy but I could ride it over and over and over...I love that song and it just makes me happy:mickey:

Hazmat
10-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Another vote for the American Adventure!

SpecJoe Magic
10-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Definitely Living with the Land. It's nearly impossible for me to describe what makes it enjoyable. It certainly doesn't seem like something worth taking the time to visit, but I think that I ride it on almost every trip.

HauntedMansionManiac
10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I really like to go into the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I'm not sure why. I've never seen the movie :/

Gator
10-15-2010, 07:25 PM
It's not really an attraction, but I never miss the World Showcase Players at the UK Pavillion. It's been the same show for 8 years, but me and my family love it.

Belster
10-15-2010, 07:44 PM
I know I may get a lot of haters on this one but...I love Ellen's ride...just love it!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Jungle Cruise

LVT
10-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Another sucker for the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. I did see the movie way back when. It still represents adventure to me.

AdventurerKim
10-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Tomorrowland Raceway is one of my all-time favorite rides because when I was a child, I felt like I waited forever to be tall enough to ride alone so I could reach the gas pedal. I never miss it on a trip. :mickey:

ryca1dreams
10-17-2010, 09:52 AM
I always liked Food Rocks. I thought it was funny. I loved the new lyrics to those songs. Wish they could have kept it with the addition of Soarin'.

lettripp
10-17-2010, 10:23 AM
CoP is always on the list - we sing along from the beginning and love it :-)

Also a big fan of Living With the Land - although I can't explain it!

dixielandings
10-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Living with the Land - total snoozer but I never miss it.

PETE FROM NYC
10-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I am also a fan of Carousel of Progress. Maybe because when I first saw it at the Worlds Fair, at the tender age of 13, I thought the first stage, they were real people, until I saw their "clones". I think the original also had at least 2 more stages.
I also like Living with the Land, but DW hates that one. She will sit through it ONCE to keep me company.

Plex
10-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Definitely Living with the Land - Somehow I end up doing this more than once on every trip. I think the last trip was 2-3 times, plus the tour which was fantastic! Why? Couldn't tell you :)

MushuGrl
10-18-2010, 11:00 AM
The Land at Epcot. Everything in it. I think that's my happy place. My fav place to eat, two of my most favorite rides...LOVE it.

Laughin' place
10-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the great replies. I knew you guys would get what I was after -- lots of great examples. Im also glad Im not the only one who loves (but cant tell you why) the Circle of Life

Laughin' place
10-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Just a little Disney Magic on a day it is needed...
as I finished typing my last reply, the Circle of LIfe soundtrack came on live365 :party:

kemps@wdw
10-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I think for me, it would be the Peoplemover. No thrills, no loud music, no speed, and no long lines. Sound kinda boring, but I love it! :cloud9:

Mousemates
10-18-2010, 11:38 PM
for my teen (18) daughter its Figment (Journey into Imagination)...to me its pretty lame, but she loves it for whatever reason, and thus I happily go...thou I don't enjoy it so much on my own, I do enjoy her enjoyment of it.

Evil Genius
10-20-2010, 09:21 AM
The old Rio De Tiempo - always had to ride it, no matter what

This!!!

I don't know what my obsession with this attraction...or still is...but I loved it!

Aurora
10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Another vote for the Swiss Family Treehouse. I couldn't stand it as a kid, but now I have to make sure my family climbs those steps every trip. On our last visit it was pouring rain as we climbed, and near the top I took a photo looking down at the little canal through the tropical foliage. I framed it and have it hanging in my home, and people think it's a picture of a rainforest.

WDWgoofy
10-22-2010, 11:45 PM
In addition to Living with the Land, CoP and American Adventure, I also truly enjoy the opportunity to experience the Hall of the Presidents.

My family doesn't share my fondness for these attractions, but I never miss them on my solo trip :mickey:

Bass T-bone
10-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Got to see COP at the New York's World Fair in 1964:mickey:

Me too!!!

readytogo2
10-23-2010, 01:15 PM
hall of Presidents for me just makes me feel good and brings a tear to me eyes

mainemajor
10-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Lining with the Land and Wedway People Mover (I know that's not its name anymore) are the two for me.

harmon_174
12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I am a fan of all the others listed so far, too.
To me, CoP is really easy to "justify" -- its a classic, really bears Walt's fingerprints, awesome Sherman Bros. songs (both versions), and is entertaining, uplifting, original.
Ohana is just plain tasty! I dont think anyone needs to explain why they love that place, esp when you have such a wonderful, romantic memory attached to it.
I think Ellen is probably closest to the way I feel about Circle. There are a lot of "haters" for Energy, and purists who prefer the original version. I happen to like Ellen, and we see it every trip (at least once). Its a long attraction (the longest, I think?), so there's bang for your buck with the usually short queue; the dinos and moving seats are cool. Im not an Ellen fan per se, but I find the dated and corny story funny and entertaining. Im willing to bet there are others who are unexplainably attracted to this one.
No takers on the Hakuna Matata All-Electric Lakeside Disco Resort, eh ??:shrug:

I agree with your Universe of Energy analysis completely. Overall I am NOT a fan of Ellen but for some reason I find this very entertaining. My sister is on the group of "haters" that you speak of. The only reason I could think of a reason I might like it is because my grandma forced me to ride it when I was young so maybe its a nostalgic factor but lets be honest, Energy is not a great attraction. For some reason I always spend 45 minutes on this "attraction".

2Epcot
12-02-2010, 05:28 AM
I would also agree with Living with the Land. The Land pavilion in general I always found myself attracted to, but less so after Soarin' was brought there. I think it really destroyed the atmosphere of the pavilion. What should have been done was having the entrance and queue on the outside and the exit inside.

dyin tago
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
another vote for cop!:mickey:

another one I really enjoy even more than dw I think is splash mountain.:mickey:

McLiberal8
12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
Living With The Land, def. Also The Peoplemover - I can ride this again and again, and always get super excited when we pass the scale model for EPCOT.
I also really enjoy the Great Movie Ride.. not usually one people flock to in droves, but I love movies, and think it's a great ride.

wdwfansince75
12-02-2010, 12:08 PM
While I agree with those who cite CoP and TTA as "must do"s that simply make you feel good, and are first and last day rides for us on every trip, the one that defies explaination to me in MK is Peter Pan....It is a simple dark ride, of a tale oft told, yet we, and many of you, apparently, just must ride PP on every trip, in spite of long lines. Before FP's made the wait shorter, we would line up, even after we had shared this ride with our kids and grandkids on earlier trips. Yet it is simply a dark ride, with scenes very familiar, from repeated playing of an old favorite. But we just can't skip it!

JabberJaws
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Admittedly not a big fan of the COL movie! :D

I do have several of those unexplainable attraction attractions though. Just a couple:

Living with the Land
Country Bear Jamboree
Tom Sawyer Island
And, before it closed, Food Rocks!

I know that some of these may not seem "unexplainable" to you guys, but I kinda think of the unexplainable ones as if I took non-Disney geek friends to the parks and wanted to ride these rides then it would be hard to explain why!

Mousemates
12-02-2010, 08:02 PM
COP for sure....I'm really not even sure why I enjoy it myself.

darthmacho
12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm in the corner of the CoP lovers, but not the CoL advocates.
There aren't too many attractions at WDW that I truly despise, but Circle of Life and Sounds Dangerous both fit that category.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
12-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Festival of the Lion King. Love the show, music is great, and I will always remember my daughter dancing on my lap while clapping and laughing throughout the show. Won't miss that show.

c&d
12-08-2010, 09:46 AM
One of my favorites is TTA. Not particularly fond of the new voice over but it's a must do for me every visit. I just love peeking in on all the rides as you go around.