PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Stu29573
10-14-2010, 11:04 AM
My wife recently got laid off (an all too common event in America these days). She got a decent severence package. We have had our WDW trip paid off for a couple of months now (including DDP and airline tickets). Now she is beginning to hint that she doesn't want to go because of the job situation. I DO want to go because its all paid for anyway, and we have been looking forward to it for about 8 months. What would you do?

CRUD! I put this in the wrong section. Can someone move me to "Mousellaneous" please. It's REALLY one of those days!

Disney4us2
10-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Since it is all paid for I would go. I would skip on paying for any extras(souviners etc.). If you cancel your flights, unless you have refundable tickets, you could be hit with cancellation fees,

I would go and have a good time. Good luck with your decision.

brownie
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
That's a tough call. I think it needs to be a joint decision and you really need to crunch the numbers going a few months out. Also look at the possibility of a new job in the near future. Vacation time may not be available right away.

I'd still want to go but I'd want to make sure I'd still have a roof over my head and food on the table.

jodijo
10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Go!!!!! Have a great time! We ran into a similar situation last year and decided to go. It was a great vacation and the last we will have in a long time.

DVCJohn
10-14-2010, 11:43 AM
If it will not be a financial hardship I would go. I am in a different situation. I made reservations in January to take my elderly parents to WDW in December to see the Christmas Decorations. To make a long story story; my mother passed away last month. She loved WDW and Christmas but never got to see WDW in it's holiday splendor. That my fault, I should have taken her sooner. But my father and I decided to go in December. We both have had 2 rough years with all of our health issues and need some down time. It will not be the same without my Mom and I know everything will remind me of her but they will be good memories. Again GO. Your problems will still be there when you get home.

Stu29573
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
If it will not be a financial hardship I would go. I am in a different situation. I made reservations in January to take my elderly parents to WDW in December to see the Christmas Decorations. To make a long story story; my mother passed away last month. She loved WDW and Christmas but never got to see WDW in it's holiday splendor. That my fault, I should have taken her sooner. But my father and I decided to go in December. We both have had 2 rough years with all of our health issues and need some down time. It will not be the same without my Mom and I know everything will remind me of her but they will be good memories. Again GO. Your problems will still be there when you get home.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother! I lost my father two years ago. I think you have very healthy attitude about things. Thank you!

WishingStar2006
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I agree with some of the previous posters...you should definitely go!!! It's paid for, you've been looking forward to it, and it could be awhile before you can go back.

Additionally, it will be good for the heart to be at WDW...you know that feeling...when all of the troubles of the world just disappear!!! Plus, I find WDW gives me inspiration of things to change or make happen in my life...this will be a great time for both of you.

Ian
10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
CRUD! I put this in the wrong section. Can someone move me to "Mousellaneous" please. It's REALLY one of those days!Done! :mickey:

Stu29573
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Done! :mickey:

Thanks, Ian!

GrumpyFan
10-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Tough call. I tend to be a worrier sometimes, and a situation like this would not make me very comfortable. As much as I enjoy going to WDW, I would not be able to have a good time knowing that the money I was spending might be my dinner or house payment in a couple of months. So, with that I would urge you and your wife to really talk it over. If she's okay with going and thinks she can enjoy her time there and not worry about things, then by all means go, but if she's not comfortable with it and doesn't think she can, then you might consider waiting.

Stu29573
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Tough call. I tend to be a worrier sometimes, and a situation like this would not make me very comfortable. As much as I enjoy going to WDW, I would not be able to have a good time knowing that the money I was spending might be my dinner or house payment in a couple of months. So, with that I would urge you and your wife to really talk it over. If she's okay with going and thinks she can enjoy her time there and not worry about things, then by all means go, but if she's not comfortable with it and doesn't think she can, then you might consider waiting.

That's true. Of course I probably should have pointed out that we pay all of the bills out of my check. We used hers for running money and extras. So, it won't be a "roof over our head" issue, thankfully!

wilcat
10-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Same thing happened to me in 2008. Hubby got laid off 2 weeks before our trip. What to do? He was stressing out about the money issue but I told him we should go anyway. He finally agreed and was happy he did. He got to rest and forgot about the job situation for awhile so that when he came back he was ready to tackle looking for a job relaxed and upbeat. He just figured it was another bump in life we all get from time to time but that it should not keep you from doing something planned or fun. I say GO! GO! GO! and have a wonderful magical trip.

btharvey
10-14-2010, 12:39 PM
I know it's been said: both of you need to agree.

When it comes to money of any size, my DW and I need to both say OK for us to spend anything. If one of us "isn't sure," that means, "no."

If she is uncertain, she'll be uncertain, worried and upset during the entire time, even if she puts on a brave face.

I don't know how much your trip is costing you, but just a general observation: my round-trip gasoline costs per year just to commute are $3,800 US. That sounds like a fairly nice Disney vacation, and if I can get that gas "for free" when trading in the vacation, I'll take it, especially if one of us is laid off. If your gas isn't as much per year, think of what else it'll pay for.

On the other hand, if you believe you have reserves good enough to weather 8-12 months without her paycheck (unemployment ... yeah, right), then have a great time!

diz_girl
10-14-2010, 03:06 PM
That's true. Of course I probably should have pointed out that we pay all of the bills out of my check. We used hers for running money and extras. So, it won't be a "roof over our head" issue, thankfully!

In that case, go!

If things get tight, she can get her highlights re-touched every 8 weeks instead of every 6 and skip some mani-pedis. Yes, that's stereotypical, as I get neither done, but you'd be surprised at what some people will put above a WDW vacation.

dnickels
10-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Probably not hard to guess what a board full of Disney-lovers are going to say. :mickey: Of course it's not our opinion that should count.

Just talk it over with her. If her mind is going to be worrying during the trip then put it off. I think an earlier poster said if both they and their spouse aren't 100% behind the decision then it doesn't go forward and I think that's the way to go.

Disney will be there next month or next year. Sure we don't know what the future will hold, any one of us could be gone tomorrow, but special times and memories with loved ones aren't limited to occurring on Disney property.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I work to provide and play with my family. If work is no longer "there", I will still provide and play with my family. If you have already paid it off and keep the OOP spending to minimum, then you have nothing but bad attitudes to loose! :thumbsup:

Nothing like a fully paid off vacation (especially to Disney!) to help you get your mind of the problems of reality if just for a few minutes. Even though we are in Fantasyland, it puts everything into perspective for me. My family is my only "known" reality!