PDA

View Full Version : Pick a Pearl at Epcot

lovinmesomedisney
10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
So, last month while at Epcot, my daughter decided she wanted to pick a pearl. It was an experience, for sure. They do a big ceremony when you choose your pearl. I even had two pearls in mine, and they banged on a drum and all sorts of hoopla. It was fun, yet a little deceiving. They have all these pearls set in jewelry with prices on them. So, you pay for the pearl itself, then to have it set. Well, they don't bother to tell you, if you are having it set in a necklace, that the actual chain is an additional cost. Wow, those pearls ended up costing quite a bit by the time we finished. Just a warning for anyone deciding to do this. As I said, it was fun, the pictures are cute, but pretty pricey for what you end up with.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-14-2010, 09:29 AM
thanks for the heads up. I figured each setting was a different price in addition to the pearl itself.

I'm hoping to get 2 pearls in one so I can get a pair of earings made!:thumbsup:

If you don't mind me asking, about how much is it for the pearl and then for settings/necklace?

TheVBs
10-14-2010, 10:22 AM
I'm also interested in what people have spent for the pearls and settings. We've never done this before and I think the girls would love it. Has anyone just kept the pearls and not had them put in a setting?

vicster
10-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm also interested in what people have spent for the pearls and settings. We've never done this before and I think the girls would love it. Has anyone just kept the pearls and not had them put in a setting?

My daughter got one years ago and we never had it set. I even went to a jeweler and the price for settings was very high.

TheVBs
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM
My daughter got one years ago and we never had it set. I even went to a jeweler and the price for settings was very high.

Good to know! I just don't see them wearing the jewelry if they get the pearls in settings. However, they do have a great collection of things we've picked up on other trips, shells, stones, fossils, etc. that I think we could include the pearls in.

Disney4us2
10-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up and info. I was thinking about this for our upcoming trip. I may just get a chain or two and bring it with us. Just do the setting there.

badkitty
10-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I brought my own chain and chose a less expensive setting (it was a "cage" type setting so they didn't have to drill a hole). I think it cost me less than $20. I found the settings to be a lot cheaper at EPCOT than other "pearl" establishments. The cost is definitely in the settings and chains.

#1donaldfan
10-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Our oldest DD did the pearl thing last June and your right it is an "ordeal" .... she had hers set for a necklace, and yes it's very deceiving ...VERY !!! We thought the necklace came with it too, 'cause when choosing your setting, the necklace is attached, not just the "setting" alone .... anyway, I'm not even sure if she has a necklace yet.....good info for people out "here" !!! :thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
We did it on our last trip for my anniversary, and we LOVED it - but then, we went into it knowing we would have to pay to have it set. I felt the setting was very reasonable - I think we paid about $18 or $20 to have the pearl put on a "slider" for a necklace. I knew I had nice necklaces at home, so didn't pay the extra expense for a chain. I've had it now for a year and it's still fine -- but, that being said, I don't wear it very often b/c I'm a bit leary of the setting. Anything that takes someone 20 minutes to "set" leads me to believe it's probably not set as well as if I'd taken it to a jeweler here. But -- I don't mind not wearing it as often, as I'm not a big "pearl" person, anyway... it was more for sentimental reasons.

(and now my DD's are both planning on doing it for their 13th b'day... so we'll see how that goes! They can't wait! :))

lovinmesomedisney
10-14-2010, 10:02 PM
OK, so the actual price of the pearl was $15. The settings seemed to range from like $20 all the way up to I believe about $80. The chains were all different price ranges and actually looked very cheap. My daughter decided on a ring because that seemed the best deal for the price. It was very cute but actually, as someone else posted, it only takes twenty minutes. Her pearl fell off the setting the next day. As I said before, it was a fun experience. If you are actually going for some nice jewelry, I would definitely pass on this. We just wanted to try something different on this particular trip. We like to do something new or different on each trip. We will definitely remember this experience. It was quite amusing, as I said before, and the cute little Japanese girls are hard not to enjoy. They were so friendly.

lynnek
10-14-2010, 10:12 PM
We will be going to World Showcase in a month. I have an Adventure around the world planned and this is one of the activities DD and DS will be doing. From what you all have said, my understanding is that the find a pearl is separate from getting it put into a setting. The actual activity takes about 20 minutes, correct? Because of all that we have planned, I don't think I want to have them get the pearls set; we can wait until we get home.

lovinmesomedisney
10-15-2010, 09:08 AM
We will be going to World Showcase in a month. I have an Adventure around the world planned and this is one of the activities DD and DS will be doing. From what you all have said, my understanding is that the find a pearl is separate from getting it put into a setting. The actual activity takes about 20 minutes, correct? Because of all that we have planned, I don't think I want to have them get the pearls set; we can wait until we get home.

Actually, just getting the pearls doesn't take that long, as long as there isn't a line. If you are going to have it set, they tell you to come back in about a half hour. If you just want the pearls, it doesn't take long at all. At the most, 20 minutes for both.

momef3grls
10-15-2010, 10:43 AM
My experience was different. On one trip I picked and got twins that I had set in earrings. I still have them today and that was 4 years ago. I did not have any problem and yes I wear them a lot. I also had a ring set that time and I wear it all the time, again no problem. When I had them set they told me to come back in about 2hrs and they should be done and not to wear them for at least 48hrs. The card that comes in the setting explains the same. My daughter has been doing this for years and has a ring and necklace that was set there and again no problems, they are about 7 years old now. The past couple of times we have picked pearls but not have them set, we are collecting them to have set into a single strand for her. Yes some settings can be expensive, but that is the same anywhere...go to a jewelery trunk show at a jewelers and see what it costs to get a stone set. I feel bad that some have had problems but I have not and will continue to have fun. Japan is our favorite pavilion in Epcot.

DVC2004
10-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I did this in DTD and I thought it was pretty clearly marked with costs- it was $15 for the pearl then whatever additional for the setting. My boys picked an oyster containing an exceptional pearl that turned out to be pretty large and a beautiful blue-grey. So my $15 pearl ended up costing my over $200. When I saw it I had them set it into the Tiffany ring setting with small diamonds. LOL. Had it been the regular white style I would have saved a bundle, but I wouldn't have such a beautiful and memorable piece of jewelry.

#1donaldfan
10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I did this in DTD and I thought it was pretty clearly marked with costs- it was $15 for the pearl then whatever additional for the setting. My boys picked an oyster containing an exceptional pearl that turned out to be pretty large and a beautiful blue-grey. So my $15 pearl ended up costing my over $200. When I saw it I had them set it into the Tiffany ring setting with small diamonds. LOL. Had it been the regular white style I would have saved a bundle, but I wouldn't have such a beautiful and memorable piece of jewelry.

oh yeah, the prices are clearly marked for the settings, however they're presented, for instance, with a chain attahced...then when you pick it up, there's no chain.....very much mis-representation !!

lynnek
10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I like the idea of saving them for a strand!! Great idea! With each challenge my kids get for their activities, there will be $$ enclosed to cover the cost of the activity. If we wait to have them set later, it's less guessing on my part! I think this pick a pearl thing is such a neat idea!

DVC2004
10-15-2010, 01:49 PM
oh yeah, the prices are clearly marked for the settings, however they're presented, for instance, with a chain attahced...then when you pick it up, there's no chain.....very much mis-representation !!

Well that does sound deceptive! I didn't get a necklace.

Brooklynos
10-15-2010, 03:49 PM
I've done this many times and have only had two set there. When I had it done I was told that the price was for the setting only. I found good long chains at the local flea market.

I still like doing at least one per trip. The "show" is half the fun!!!

tinksmom02
10-15-2010, 07:32 PM
We've done this 3 times so far...the first time for my DD (4 at the time), we got one of the cheapest settings and necklace, I think it was about $40...that was a nice yellow pearl.

The second time I actually picked a charm bracelet setting, which was pretty reasonably priced, and just worked the clip off of it when I got home, and picked up a sterling silver necklace for around $10 at the mall. That pearl was pinkish.

The 3rd time I just got the cage setting, which was cheapest of all LOL and that pearl was...well...pearl-colored :blush: I wear it all the time, and haven't had any problems.

Think we might do it again in December...I sort of wish I hadn't set the pearls, and saved them to be strung, but I'm not really a fan of pearls anyway. I like wearing one as a pendant, but not a string of them.

Anyway, I thought the prices were pretty well explained, although I recall the prices of the chains themselves being rather high. And also, we were looking at sterling silver...

KAT1811
10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
We do the pick a pearl activity for the fun of it. Our three girls all picked a pearl on our last vacation and I have pearls from previous vacations. We'll probably do it again on our next trip. We just keep collecting them. The girls love the excitement of picking it out and seeing it opened.

Has anyone ever asked to keep the actual shell? I was thinking that it would be fun for one of the girls to bring back the pearl and the shell and do a "show-and-tell" at school when she got back.

4myprincesses
10-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Just a heads-up, most pearl jewelry is not made to get wet. Pearls that are set on a post (most pearl jewelry aside from strins of pearls or cage set items) and they are fastened to that post with a type of glue. It is important to let the glue set before wearing the recommended amount of time so that it hardens and holds. Seeing as how moisture can loosen the setting, rings are not the best setting for a pearl unless it is a special occasion ring not planned for everyday wear. Sprays, cologne, lotions, etc. are not good for pearls, put them on last. Your natural body oils are fine, sometimes useful at helping them keep their luster, but the stuff we spritze, rub, and spray all over us have chemicals that will break-down the layers of your pearl.

My girls saved for quite awhile to get a pearl at Epcot. My oldest ended up with a lovely silver-gray pearl and my middle gal snagged a huge (8.5mm if memory serves me right...they didn't have bags labeled for that size) creamy white pearl. The silver one was set on a gold drop pendant and we had the white one put in a cage setting. They have had them for a couple years now and they are still as beautiful as the day they got them :) If my memory is right, my oldest had saved around $45 and the next in line saved around $35. We had chains at home and knew they would need to set awhile anyway, not having a chain removed the temptation to go ahead and wear them before their 48 hour rest.

Septbride2002
10-21-2010, 01:30 PM
OK, so the actual price of the pearl was $15. The settings seemed to range from like $20 all the way up to I believe about $80. The chains were all different price ranges and actually looked very cheap. My daughter decided on a ring because that seemed the best deal for the price. It was very cute but actually, as someone else posted, it only takes twenty minutes. Her pearl fell off the setting the next day. As I said before, it was a fun experience. If you are actually going for some nice jewelry, I would definitely pass on this. We just wanted to try something different on this particular trip. We like to do something new or different on each trip. We will definitely remember this experience. It was quite amusing, as I said before, and the cute little Japanese girls are hard not to enjoy. They were so friendly.

I got a ring done back in 2002 and the stone is still in the setting. I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone was considering a ring. I don't wear the ring daily but it gets some wear and tear.

~Amanda

lovinmesomedisney
10-22-2010, 09:46 AM
I got a ring done back in 2002 and the stone is still in the setting. I just wanted to throw that out there in case anyone was considering a ring. I don't wear the ring daily but it gets some wear and tear.

~Amanda

I'm sure it depends on who makes it also. My daughter's pearl fell off in our hotel room the following day after getting it. Obviously, it wasn't set right to begin with. They told her to wait until the next day to wear it. She opened the box, went to put it on, and there it was, on the floor.

lettripp
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM

The same thing happened to my ring. I am thinking of getting it repaired. This was a fun experience but I wish it lasted longer than a couple weeks!!

gmgdisneymom
10-24-2010, 04:40 PM
My daughter and I do this every trip. They will drill the pearl for you for free - so I have a little baggie for each trip with a hole drilled in it and when she gets to be an adult I will have all of the pearls strung into a necklace (because I intend to go lots and lots by then!)

BriarRose0708
10-24-2010, 11:03 PM
I did this once when my best friend and I went on a trip in August 2008. We got there when the store opened and bought our tickets to pick the pearls. It was a great experience and I plan to do it again next trip. It can get really busy and crowded in that section of the store, and I would recommend getting there around 11 or 11:30. It was very nice to talk with the ladies, learn some Japanese, and take our time picking the settings we wanted. When it is crowded there is more pressure to hurry up. But, I love the hoopla and drumming and applause! I wear my pearl in a necklace on special occasions and get many compliments on it.