PDA

View Full Version : Free Dinning plan down side?

waymickey
10-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Has anyone else noticed that since the free dinning plan started that the food choices have gone down? I still enjoy the food but it seems that choices are more limited than before. Seems like no matter where you go the food is the same but with a different name.

Gator
10-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I think it's been that way for a while. No matter where you go in WDW, the shrimp are never cleaned. and all the counter services serve the same hamburgers and chicken strips. As far as the buffets go, they also have a lot of the same food. However, there still is a lot of variety. You just gotta find the right places.

dnickels
10-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I think that's one of the most common complaints about the Dining Plan and I certainly agree. When one Table Service credit is worth the same no matter where you go, there's incentive on Disney's part to make that $33.00 meal smaller or less exotic to match up with the $25.00 meal at the restaurant next door.

I'd be happy to see it go away completely, but I don't think it's likely. It gives Disney predictability, they're getting paid up front, they can plan staffing at each restaurant months in advance because that's how far ahead people make their ADRs.

I remember as a kid going into Epcot and the first thing we'd do was head somewhere under Spaceship Earth (I think that's where it was), and pick where we wanted to eat that day then make a phone call. Were there phone booths/banks for dining in there maybe? :confused: I preferred the spontaneity that allowed.

MagicalGuest
10-13-2010, 09:35 AM
There were kiosks under Spaceship Earth. I also enjoyed that system — just decide where you'd be that night and what kind of food you wanted and then book it through the kiosk. It was rare that we couldn't get the ressie we wanted.

HoosierDisneyFan
10-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Is this a DDP issue? Or just a Disney resturant issue?

DizneyRox
10-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Is this a DDP issue? Or just a Disney resturant issue?
You're going in the right direction...

The choices are the same if you are on the dining plan, or not. And by choices, I mean lack of more than numerous.

But, the DDP has almost required that restaurants tailor their menus to make money on the many, many poeple that are on the plan. A TS credit is a TS credit and there's a set reimbursement amount given to the restaurants when a guest uses a credit there. It would be foolish for a restaurant to provide $40 worth of food when they will only be getting back $25 from Disney...

Thus, they have tailored their menus to provide only the $25 worth of food (or less), which impacts both DDP and OOP folks.

So, it's really not one or the other, it's a combination of both. Restuarants needs to react to situation created by Disney offering the DDP.

KAT1811
10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Just a thought . . .

I know there are exceptions but I think for the most part the majority of vacationers are looking for a decent meal for a decent price. WDW is by far a cheap vacation and i think that many that go don't want to be paying $40pp for a meal. Most are looking for a unique atmosphere (characters, dining in a "car", turning restaurants, etc.) to dine in with decent food at an affordable price. Think about it. Le Cellier books up right out of the gate. Good luck finding a last minute reservation there but we have never had a problem getting a table at the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Most of the finer eateries don't book up very quickly. I'm sure they have analyzed the different restaurant tiers and found out what works best and what doesn't.

DH and I love to dine, I love a fabulous meal and a great bottle of wine but, in WDW when we are vacationing with the children, for the most part, we're looking for decent, quick, fun dining so we can head back into the parks for more fun.

Those of us that are WDW regulars may be willing to take some touring time out for a little finer dining here and there but I am willing to bet that even those of us that prefer finer dining don't eat all of our sit down meals at the signature restaurants.

Even if I were able to sneak away to the World with DH I do not think that we would eat all of our meals at signature restaurants, it adds up quickly. On our last trip we had a $350 bill before tip (4 adults, 3 children, and an infant) at the Yachtsman, can't see spending that every night for dinner.

#1donaldfan
10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Free is Free is Free !! I love Free dinning.....!! What's the down side to Free....ok, rack rate room charges, but Free Dinning seems so, well Free !!!! sorry, I love anything Free !!:thedolls: