PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with non-DVC family

DisneyTwinsMommy
10-12-2010, 02:12 PM
We are in the planning stages of a Sept 2011 trip for my family as well as my SIL's family. We have 2010 banked points that HAVE TO be used so we are definitely staying DVC. (We toyed with the idea of staying with them and paying OOP)

They would like to go inexpensively and are looking at POP. Where would YOU stay to optimize spending time together. Also, would it be allowed for them to say, swim at our resort as our guests?

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 preschoolers and an infant... 2 strollers), they are a family of 3 (2 adults and a toddler). Buses are a factor for us since they are a PITA with strollers and little ones.

Here are my thoughts...
AKL- Closest to Pop, have to change buses to get there

BWV/BCV- Could get there somewhat easily from EP and DHS

BLT- VERY easy to get to from MK, MK is the farthest away from Pop.

phlo8810
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I am going to be in the exact same situation for next years trip. Have you thought about having them stay with you in a tree house villa? I think that's what we are going to do.

buzznwoodysmom
10-12-2010, 03:17 PM
This may not be an option, but would you have enough points to splurg on a two bedroom that you all could stay together in? I probably wouldn't do it, we like our own room, but you could "charge" them whatever they are paying to stay at Pop. Keeps it affordable for them, and you get some money out of the deal. Just a thought.

gmgdisneymom
10-13-2010, 03:35 PM
we are doing the same thing at the end of this month - we got 2 studios at WL. It is our fav resort and studios are great. Since we only eat b-fast in the rooms we don't really need the full kitchen

PETE FROM NYC
10-13-2010, 03:35 PM
This may not be an option, but would you have enough points to splurg on a two bedroom that you all could stay together in? I probably wouldn't do it, we like our own room, but you could "charge" them whatever they are paying to stay at Pop. Keeps it affordable for them, and you get some money out of the deal. Just a thought.

This is what DW and I are planning for 2012 when her niece and her 2 kids are coming with us.
We just did our 1st DVC trip in a 1 BR in BLT. Next trip will be a 2 BR in BLT with them paying the difference.

diz_girl
10-14-2010, 04:10 PM
As for the swimming question, even though they will be visiting you and will be your 'guests' at the resort, it would still be considerend pool-hopping since they are staying at another WDW resort. Pool-hopping is a no-no if they are not DVC members.

AKV, BLT and BCV do not allow pool-hopping into their resorts, even for DVC members staying at another DVC resort. BLT doesn't even allow CR guests not staying at BLT to use the BLT pool, as they have keyed access to the pool. BCV is actually even more restrictive, as every person needs to show their room key to get a wristband that allows them to use SAB.

As for which resort to pick, I'd choose BLT, as both of your families have very small children and will probably spend most of your time at the MK. Just note with the monorail at CR - the escalators can only accommodate umbrella strollers, so if you are bringing your own full-size stroller from home, you'll need to take the elevator to/from the monorail platform from the floor below.

Tinkermom
10-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I also would suggest seeing if you can get a 2 bedroom and all stay together at a DVC resort. You could also get 2 studios if you need your own space.

If you stay DVC and the rest of your party stays at POP they will not be able to use the pool at your DVC resort BUT YOU can pool hop to their resort.

PlutoPlanet
10-19-2010, 12:26 PM
We did a split stay at a DVC resort and POP. It was fine. We'll do that again. Good DVC places that are cheap for points are the low cost views at BWV or AKL.