PDA

View Full Version : Main Street Construction

Scar
10-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Last May there were scrims over much of Main Street. Anyone been recently and noticed if they are still there?

Melanie
10-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Yes, they are still there. Seems like half of Main Street is covered.

Good news is though, the scrims are now down at Peter Pan. :thumbsup:

celebrationasheley
10-11-2010, 11:41 AM
I missed the true feeling of MNSSHP. All those missing pumpkins locations. But I cant wait until all of it is done.

Strmchsr
10-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Supposedly those scrims will be up for another month or so. Anticipated being down around Thanksgiving, but no promises.

Imagineer1981
10-11-2010, 02:53 PM
The large scrim around Casey's Corner was the only one that really bothered me

disneymom2000
10-12-2010, 10:07 PM
I know it's annoying but I guess it has to be done sometime or other. What are they redoing on Main Street that they had so many up?

Strmchsr
10-13-2010, 07:50 AM
I know it's annoying but I guess it has to be done sometime or other. What are they redoing on Main Street that they had so many up?

They are refurbing almost every shop and building on Main St.

Ian
10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Honestly, I've never been one to let the scrims or refurb walls bother me too much.

To me it's a sign that they're investing back into the parks and taking care of many of the maintenance issues that do bother me, so for that I'll put up with some scrims.

:mickey:

Stu29573
10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
The only issue I have with it is that it sure seems like its taking a long time. When we went in June of 2009 there were scrims all over the place on Main Street. They weren't too distracting, but they did bother me a little. Still, I reasoned, as Ian did, that it was for the greater good. Now its 16 months later and I hear they STILL have the scrims up? I sure hope they take some down before next month when we go back...

Scar
10-13-2010, 10:22 AM
Yea I don't necessarily mind the scrims, but to have half of Main Street covered for such a long time? :confused: Couldn't they bang out one or two facades at a time and move on to the next?

Ian
10-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Okay, I will agree that it does seem like it takes them forever to get some pretty basic work done.

I don't think it took them 16 months to build Main Street the first time around!!

Kaps
10-13-2010, 10:56 AM
What side is the whole emporium shut down?

DisneyFr33k
10-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Ok, I'm the dumb one, what is a scrim?
We were there last October and didn't notice anything......

Strmchsr
10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok, I'm the dumb one, what is a scrim?

A scrim is a cloth covering that is painted to look like (or similar to) the building it is covering so that you don't have a bunch of generic construction walls up over the area you're working on. Scrims are designed to keep the area from looking like a construction site even when it is.

Ian
10-13-2010, 12:43 PM
A scrim ...

Suz36
10-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I've never seen anything like these, except at Disney. I've always been impressed that they would go to those lengths to hide the work - more of the attention to detail that we all love about Disney!

Kenny1113
10-13-2010, 04:28 PM
I do appreciate the attempt, however I wish they could do the same in fantasyland. What a disappointing sight while there last weekend. :(

Emme&TeddysMommy
10-13-2010, 05:48 PM
We just got back from the world 3 weeks ago and we were very disappointed. Not at just the scrims, but also the fact of painters and electricians walking around during the day. What ever happened to Disney magic. My favorite was 3 of them sitting on a bench in the MK smoking a cigarette. To top it off they were not even in a smoking area. I hope that this is the first and last time I ever see anything like this in Disney.

Daisy'sMom
10-13-2010, 05:56 PM
We just got back from the world 3 weeks ago and we were very disappointed. Not at just the scrims, but also the fact of painters and electricians walking around during the day. What ever happened to Disney magic. My favorite was 3 of them sitting on a bench in the MK smoking a cigarette. To top it off they were not even in a smoking area. I hope that this is the first and last time I ever see anything like this in Disney.

That is so sad. I remember when the work was always done at night. There is no Disney magic when the employees are sitting around smoking. You should write to Disney and complain.

Emme&TeddysMommy
10-13-2010, 06:39 PM
That is so sad. I remember when the work was always done at night. There is no Disney magic when the employees are sitting around smoking. You should write to Disney and complain.

My husband thinks I should complain, but to be honest with you I wouldn't even know who to contact. Because of all the construction and improvements going on he doesn't want to go back next year. It makes me sad.

Jared
10-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Honestly, I've never been one to let the scrims or refurb walls bother me too much.

To me it's a sign that they're investing back into the parks and taking care of many of the maintenance issues that do bother me, so for that I'll put up with some scrims.

:mickey:
I agree with this, Ian. Everyone loves to complain about construction and refurbishments. They should be happy Disney is spending money to improve the parks. Those same people love to say that the parks are declining in quality. Well, here's Disney doing something about it.

johnO
10-13-2010, 07:20 PM
is "Scrim" even a real word? lol

10-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Not disputing what you saw nor do I want it to sound like I am but, I have worked Main St. for almost 2 years and have only once or twice seen any painters walking around during the day. This summer at Casey's they had a day crew to finish so they could take down the one wall. I happened to get a parade position right by the wall and when I could smell some fumes from the cleaning, I contacted one of the managers and they did quit right away.

I have seen maintainance electricians and painters that were doing some touch up on one of the bridges during the day but most of the work IS done during the off hours.

I did see some of the private contractors sitting on the bench by the CM backstage entrance on night about 10 minutes before park close and had a coordinator ask them to please move backstage until park close and they did.

I would like to have specifics about where, what time of day and how many people you saw sitting on a bench smoking. I am going back down in a couple of days to work for awhile and I will contact the proper managers about this. There is policy and procedure to take care of this and I'm not really shy about bringing it up. Please send me this information in a PM before about Friday if you can.

badkitty
10-13-2010, 11:49 PM
is "Scrim" even a real word? lol

You're kidding, right? A scrim is used all the time in theatre. Shine a light on it and you can't see through it but shine a light behind it and the scene behind is visible. This is used in CoP for the side scenes on the stage.

johnO
10-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Bad Kitty,

Never heard the term before. I pride myself on my immense vocabulary too....just goes to show..."You can't know it all."

CaptainSad
10-14-2010, 09:10 AM

I remember back in the early 80's when all the work was done at night and you would never know they did anything. The only way you knew was when you went in the next day you could smell the fresh paint. They used to paint everyday somewhere in the park. If you went first thing in the morning the pavement would be wet from cleaning the mess we made the day before. Except for major refurbs they never did what they do today. Disney did not want to take away from the experience you had.

Ian
10-14-2010, 09:27 AM
You see scrims in a lot of places in Disney World, not just hiding construction.

For example, the roof of the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion is a scrim. So are the "walls" the hide the scenes to the right and left of the stage in Carousel of Progress.

On the topic of maintenance during vs. after hours ... I can't give specific dates, but from the time the park first opened until maybe some time in the early 90's they maintained the park constantly during the overnight hours. Outside of ride maintenance (which always has to happen), there were no scrims needed in the parks, because things never got run down. They were constantly attended to and kept up through extensive routine nightly maintenance.

They don't do that anymore, though. Now they let it go, let it go, let it go, and then schedule maintenance to occur over some drawn out time period.

Mousemates
10-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ian

I agree...I figure that the work means that there will be something that is a little nicer when we visit the next time.

Scar
10-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I agree...I figure that the work means that there will be something that is a little nicer when we visit the next time.Except it won't be for my next trip, which was the purpose of my starting this thread. :(

Stu29573
10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Except it won't be for my next trip, which was the purpose of my starting this thread. :(

Or mine either, apparently. 16 months and no end in sight. Ian had a great point when he pointed out that it didn't take that long to build it in the first place!

CRUD! I just noticed that this is my 1000th post! I was going to do something neat for it and I forgot!!! ARRRRRGGGGGG!!!!

badkitty
10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Bad Kitty,

Never heard the term before. I pride myself on my immense vocabulary too....just goes to show..."You can't know it all."

Sorry if I came across rude. I just assumed it was a common word. :blush: Probably from being around theatre folk all my life.

Strmchsr
10-14-2010, 11:44 AM
Except it won't be for my next trip, which was the purpose of my starting this thread. :(

Well, brother, I have some good news for you. Talked to one of my buddies at WDW today and was told the scrims around Casey's would start coming down today or tomorrow and by next week the only scrims on Main St should be a fairly small section around the Emporium. Hope that makes your trip a little better! :mickey:

brownie
10-14-2010, 11:59 AM
A scrim ...

I hope they're down when we go. It's better than a construction wall, but I want to see Main Street.

Jack Skellington
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned disappointment with major construction in Fantasyland. Can anyone elaborate? We will be at MK on Monday.

Thanks,

JS:mickey:

Scar
10-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, brother, I have some good news for you. Talked to one of my buddies at WDW today and was told the scrims around Casey's would start coming down today or tomorrow and by next week the only scrims on Main St should be a fairly small section around the Emporium. Hope that makes your trip a little better! :mickey:Great news! It certainly would not have ruined my trip, but walking up main street in May was not the same as it usually is.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned disappointment with major construction in Fantasyland. Can anyone elaborate? there are a bunch of threads in this forum and in the News forum with lots of detail. Basically, there is a wall from Ariel's Grotto to Toontown, and a couple other walls around rides.

Hull-onian
10-14-2010, 02:34 PM
This is a great topic...Never new what a scrim was...Now I know....Thanks everyone for the info:thumbsup:

brivers222
10-18-2010, 05:12 PM
Main street was looking rather nice this past week.. Casey's cover is officially gone as of Oct 16th.

There other covers are really not even that noticeable at night.... during the day and the wind blowing you can definitely tell they are there, but its not too bad.

What is pretty ugly is the Crane that loves to pop into all the photopass shots of the castle lol.... the photo pass peeps do a good job to keep the interruption in the photo to a minimum tho!

Here are a few pics from around Magic Kingdom that show the "construction"
http://family.webshots.com/album/578818200ngEKHY

10-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Main street was looking rather nice this past week.. Casey's cover is officially gone as of Oct 16th.

Several construction walls are still in place at Casey's and appear that they will remain there for some time to come. Will know a bit more about their timeframe tomorrow or Wed. the 20th.

WVParkfan
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Someone earlier in this thread mentioned disappointment with major construction in Fantasyland. Can anyone elaborate? We will be at MK on Monday.

We were there in August, and there is just a TON of construction going on in FantasyLand. Very "unfantasy" like at the moment, but all for the better!

There are walls completely around the Pooh ride. There is a continuous wall separating FantasyLand and the new construction. There was a wall around Small World, and coverings at Peter pan.

Hopefully, some of those are gone. We chose not to spend too much time in FantasyLand because of the construction, but we understand why it was there, and cannot wait until the NEW Fantasyland opens!

brivers222
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Several construction walls are still in place at Casey's and appear that they will remain there for some time to come. Will know a bit more about their timeframe tomorrow or Wed. the 20th.

The main one in front is removed... I posted a picture thread of it from oct 16th... the only real construction walls are over between Caseys and Crystal palace.. the ones that was right at the entrance off of main street was removed completely

Casey's is on the right and wide open (photo taken at 12:15pm on Oct 17th http://family.webshots.com/photo/2206898830084639932INlUIx

Fantasyland is a real mess though, i agree with others saying it's really not fantasy like at all.

10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
The main one in front is removed... I posted a picture thread of it from oct 16th... the only real construction walls are over between Caseys and Crystal palace.. the ones that was right at the entrance off of main street was removed completely

Actually, there is a construction wall from the south edge of Casey's entrance, south the the Hall Of Champions.

That was my parade position for the night parade Monday night so I am aware of it.

There is just enough room for a double stroller between the wall and the Main St. sidewalk curb, and it will be there for a bit yet. Basically the same wall position from back in June and July.

brivers222
10-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Actually, there is a construction wall from the south edge of Casey's entrance, south the the Hall Of Champions.

That was my parade position for the night parade Monday night so I am aware of it.

There is just enough room for a double stroller between the wall and the Main St. sidewalk curb, and it will be there for a bit yet. Basically the same wall position from back in June and July.

Oh i didn't realize that was still casey's at that point... i thought that was the part of the shops... We had a spot right there for the day parade on Saturday and Sunday

The picture i showed of Caseys frontage actually had a huge wood wall up until 16th surrounding it...looking pretty ugly which is why i was saying its gone now and you can enter casey's with no obstruction. Poor little Baseball dude out front couldn't see the castle for the longest time :(

Emme&TeddysMommy
10-21-2010, 01:15 PM

That is exactly were we saw the construction workers.