PDA

View Full Version : Lap Sitting On Rides

CinderAriel
10-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Anyone know which rides my DD's (age 4 and 1) will be allowed to sit on our laps? Or where I can find this information? I'm specifically interested in the HM, but would love to hear about any of the rides in any of the parks.

Strmchsr
10-11-2010, 07:37 AM
No lap sitting on HM. There's a lap bar that has to come down. I'm trying to think of rides where lap sitting is allowed, but I can't really think of any. They usually want the child sitting in their own seat beside you. I'm sure there's some that allow it, like POTC, but not many.

Goes4FastPass
10-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Lap sitting just isn't safe on most rides.

We have done a lot of "close sitting" where the small child sits tucked beside an adult with an arm around the child.

I went back and looked at pictures of our GS on rides at 13 months and he was happily wedged between 2 adults on a seat where usually 2 adults would sit.

jetsdc
10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I've taken young kids several times, and by and large always had them on my lap. Some exceptions of course apply (don't recall specifically about HM), but all of the "boat rides", all shows, most fantasyland rides -- had my 1 and 2 year olds on my lap. Frankly, even the rides with lap bars (other than coasters) I think I kept my baby on my lap -- the bar just didn't come down as far, which is not as big a deal say on Pooh or Buzz Lighyear.

4 year old may be tougher. But I wouldn't sweat it too much...

magicofdisney
10-11-2010, 11:44 AM
I think it depends on how big the child is. I held my baby until he was almost 3, for most rides, including HM.

bostonsam
10-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I've taken young kids several times, and by and large always had them on my lap. Some exceptions of course apply (don't recall specifically about HM), but all of the "boat rides", all shows, most fantasyland rides -- had my 1 and 2 year olds on my lap. Frankly, even the rides with lap bars (other than coasters) I think I kept my baby on my lap -- the bar just didn't come down as far, which is not as big a deal say on Pooh or Buzz Lighyear.

4 year old may be tougher. But I wouldn't sweat it too much...

I agree 100% had my younger son3yo(12mo then)on my lap for some MK rides...It's alot easier to hang on to them at certain ages,for certain rides...I'm sure it wouldn't happen on a ride like space or Splash mt.??as parents one will know if something is unsafe for their child(ren)...

dixielandings
10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
At DL in April my DD was 6 months old and I took her on several rides on my lap. The info given to me was that we could take her on any ride without a height restriction. This included TSM - which I took her on and then regretted it. Not very comfortable and more motion than I remembered. Otherwise, we had a great time. Of course, she slept through most rides. haha

Her first b-day is in 2 days :party: and we will be at WDW in 2 weeks!

BrerGnat
10-11-2010, 06:58 PM
The basic rule of thumb is, if there is a height requirement, there is NO lap sitting. If not, generally, lap sitting is allowed. If there is a safety bar, the child must sit facing forward on your lap. If there is a seat BELT, usually that means no lap sitting.

There are different rules for each ride, practically. Just ask the CM at the head of the ride if you need clarification.

I think a 4 year old sitting on your lap is a bit of overkill, and probably not very comfy for the child in the confined spaces of most of these ride vehicles.

CinderAriel
10-12-2010, 02:07 AM
I'm not sure why I listed my 4 year old, I'm not really concerned about her on my lap, she will be fine. I was mostly curious about my 1 year old.

Thanks everyone. I think this is the most fun of all of the Disney discussion boards, and is by far my favorite!

Disney Doll
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
We just returned from WDW and rode HM with our 8 mo old in a lap and our almost 3 yr old in between DH & I (all in one buggy). The lap bar wasn't an issue. It's not an actual lap bar that goes all the way down to your lap. There was plenty of room for DS to sit on my lap.