PDA

View Full Version : Mexico Pavilion QS - Not Impressed

azcavalier
10-08-2010, 10:50 PM
One night while walking out of Epcot, my DBIL and I decided to have dinner at the new QS place in Mexico. The menu is *very* limited. They offer only about five things to eat, and of those five I remember shredded beef tacos, shredded chicken tacos, and a cheese empanada. We had the beef tacos. Three tacos (corn tortillas, which I love) and a ton of tortilla chips. A slice of lime, and a little container of pico de gallo. The tacos were tiny. After all the other QS meals i've had this week where I couldn't finish them because I was stuffed, I was really disappointed in the quantity of food that they gave me. Three tiny tacos, a bunch of chips, and a Coke cost me $15, and I was still hungry.

And that looked to be the most filling thing on the menu. I was expecting burritos, at least, but no. I was so unimpressed, I can't even remember the other items. If I walk past it tomorrow, i'll be sure to note what they are and add it to this thread.

BrerGnat
10-09-2010, 12:23 AM
Tacos like that are known as "street tacos" and they are supposed to resemble the authentic tacos you'd find for sale on the streets of Mexico. They are very popular here in California. I love them! The American idea of a taco was invented by the man who started up Taco Bell. He was from Minnesota or something. The cantina is supposed to be modeled after these "street vendors" that only sell a very limited menu.

I don't think $15 is appropriate to charge, though. Street tacos tend to go for between $1.00-$1.50 each around here. But, it is a theme park.

Were the tacos at least good?

ElenitaB
10-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Natalie, you took the words right out of my keyboard. You'll find the same "small" tacos at our local Mexican (not Tex-Mex and definitely not Taco Bell) restaurants and street vendors. Here they'll run you around $2.00 each.

I've heard that there's a salsa "bar" at the new CS. Not true?

eandrsmom
10-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Do they still offer nachos, churros, and quesadillas? Those are the only items that my picky eaters will eat there. The CS in Mexico is always one of our favorite stops. I hope we won't have to elimitate it during our next visit.

TheVBs
10-09-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm hoping they still serve the nachos as well. That's what we usually get there.

Melanie
10-09-2010, 09:42 AM
I had the nachos the first day they opened and they were very good.

Not a great pic, but here's the entree menu. And yes, they still have churros, and an interesting variety of margaritas.

TheVBs
10-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Melanie! :mickey:

Azcavalier, thanks for mentioning the size of the tacos vs. the price!

azcavalier
10-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes, I liked the tacos. I just wish there were more of them, or had more filling! For a while, Taco Bell was running a special with Cantina Tacos (or something like that) and you could choose from beef, chicken or pork. They resemble those tacos. Very tasty. Just tiny, especially for the price. It was odd, as every other CS/QS we have ever eaten at seems to be overflowing with food, especially at the $10 price point. But this was not even close.

JanetMegan
10-10-2010, 10:22 AM
I had the Nachos last month and the portion was HUGE, I am a big eater and couldn't finish them. I wouldn't call it a salsa "bar" but there were two kinds of fairly good tasty salsa by the condiment area. I actually was fairly impressed with my lunch here but I will agree the taco portion looked small.

BrerGnat
10-10-2010, 04:12 PM
I wouldn't call it a salsa "bar" but there were two kinds of fairly good tasty salsa by the condiment area.

I would call that a salsa bar, by WDW CS standards. Remember how you used to get a PACKET of salsa at the old cantina? ;) I'd say a choice of two "serve yourself" salsas is a "bar" by comparison.

Mogie
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I love Epcot...definitely not my favorite park...but I really think some areas of World Showcase and Future World need to be bulldozed and started from scratch. Mexico is one of them. There are just some really dated, poorly designed, and sub par pieces in the park. Take Canada for instance. Cool lay out, decent restaurant that is poorly themed, and a stand up video...kind of lame. I think the pavilions should emphasize more exhibits, and more live performances. LESS merchandising. And better food.

BrerGnat
10-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I love Epcot...definitely not my favorite park...but I really think some areas of World Showcase and Future World need to be bulldozed and started from scratch. Mexico is one of them. There are just some really dated, poorly designed, and sub par pieces in the park. Take Canada for instance. Cool lay out, decent restaurant that is poorly themed, and a stand up video...kind of lame. I think the pavilions should emphasize more exhibits, and more live performances. LESS merchandising. And better food.

I respect your opinion, but couldn't disagree with you more.

Jared
10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
We're sort of hijacking the thread now, but I understand your perspective. I love World Showcase, but I agree it isn't perfect. I don't think adding quality attractions to the country pavilions would in any way compromise the World Showcase's integrity. I wish more of the nations offered attractions of equal quality to The American Adventure.

As for the food, lots of people love it. I have yet to find a World Showcase restaurant worth a return visit.

Bethis26fan
10-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Are the nacho's the same as they have been in the past?

princessjojo
10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm just a little nervous. I was really looking forward to eating there, but now just not sure. Oh well, we'll wait and see. It can't be but so bad can it.

Hull-onian
10-14-2010, 01:56 PM
We like to go to the Cantina outside of Mexico. We love the menu choices, sitting outdoors, the variety of drinks, and churros. If your hungry, it is easy to get back line and order soemthing else. One of our favs.:thumbsup:

JanetMegan
10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
I have a photo of the nachos I could post.

ETA from Melanie: Thanks for the photo Janet!

Hammer
10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a photo of the nachos I could post if allowed?

Janet, send it to one of the Dining moderators and we'll post it in the thread for you. Only moderators have the ability to put a picture in a thread.

OogieBoogieMan
10-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I was there in September. Food was good and I actually like the fact the menu is limited, it will help to stop people from staring at it for 10 minutes at the register (instead of online) and figuring out what they want to eat. I do have to say though that it was painfully sow. I walked right up and ordered and it still took 10 minutes and there was no obvious source of a delay. It might be interesting to be on line when the line is 20 deep at each register.