PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is the DDP...

Mr_Increddieble
10-07-2010, 04:37 PM
...just too darn expensive this year. We are 3 Adults and 1 Child. My adult DS, however, doesn't eat the expensive stuff.

$47 per adult x 3 = $141
$12 per child x 1 = $12
Total = $153 per day.

Still have to buy breakfast: Add $30/day
and tip for dinner: Add $20 per day
New Total = $203 per day.
Trip Total = $1421

I haven't done an exhaustive calculation using the Intercot Excel sheet but I think I can beat that and still eat well (Not Narcossee's every night but...)

It seems like it started as a loss leader to get everyone in the restaurants and now it's a huge profit center.

I mean $1400 dollars for the week?
Holy Canoli at Via Napoli!

BluewaterBrad
10-07-2010, 05:17 PM
It is not for me either. If it does not work out for you do not buy it. For some people it works out great.................with proper planning.:mickey:

mickey_M_lvr
10-07-2010, 05:22 PM
I guess it depends on when and where you are going. The dining plan is free for a lot of the year. I am not sure I would want to go to Disney without in. I guess it is a convience that I don't wanna live without. :cloud9:

Have a great trip!

A Big Kid
10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Not even worth considering for a second for us.

disneymom2000
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
For what you get with the DDP now it really isn't worth it. They keep adding more restaurants to the 2TS list and it is getting harder to get a reservation. So if you have a five day -four night plan and you eat at Narcoosies and Artist Point for example, then you have used all you table services for the entire trip. Over ten restaurants are listed in the 2TS right now and I believe they are adding to that list for 2011.

retiredfigment
10-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I loved the convenience of it, but after doing the figuring, just wasn't worth it. IMHO, my solution was to buy gift cards whenever I have a few extra dollars and use them for my meals and snacks. Still don't need cash at the park and get fuel perks:mickey:

magicofdisney
10-07-2010, 07:15 PM
I think it's just a toss up between DDP and OOP. From my experience, what you get for what they charge at 1TS isn't really worth it either. :unsure:

AllDisney
10-07-2010, 07:49 PM
We tend to use the DDP when it's free. That works for us:thumbsup:

Mousemates
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
It usually doesn't work out to be a good deal for us...so when we have a choice between a big room discount or free dining we go for the room discount.

DizneyRox
10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
We spent about $1200 for the three of us for 11 days with the TiW card. $1400 for one week sounds ludicrous... That $1200 DOES include many character meals, dinners, Narcoossees, Princess Breakfast, etc.

2MuchWDFun
10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
I think for people on the dining plan who have children who are charged as adults--it is probably not worth the money. Especially if the child doesn't want to eat adult meals.

If you eat at CS meals most of the time with an occasional TS you'll definitely be able to eat for a lot less.

Our family (3 of us) usually only has two meals a day--breakfast-snack- dinner; or lunch and dinner, just depends on our park touring plans. It's easy to use a snack for breakfast--fruitcup, muffin, etc. We are using the deluxe dining plan this December (free dining-upgraded to deluxe). It'll be myself, DH and DS-22--we are looking forward to eating at lots of signature restaurants and Hoop-de-doo.

As other's have said--the dining plan has to work for your family and their dining preferences. It is definitely not for everyone.

BrerGnat
10-07-2010, 10:06 PM
I agree with you! It's too expensive. I did it once, way back the year it was introduced. It was "worth it" then, not anymore.

Our family only spent about $500 for a week in WDW (there are four of us). We stayed Club Level and found that was a good value for us, since we made the most of the food offerings. We are light eaters, so it was great for us. We did 4 TS meals (one was "signature") and just ate CS whenever we were hungry. We did a lot of sharing CS meals and "snacking". It was very liberating not to be tied down to ADRs!

rubato
10-07-2010, 10:27 PM
We did it this year and did not get our money's worth. First off, my son is 10. Full price for the plan and he's ordering off the kids menus. Also, who eats dessert with every meal? This January we're going back and I booked a room only and was going to buy my tickets elsewhere. Then, I found out we were going during free dining. I ended up getting the QS dining plan for 7 days for an extra $200 over what I would have spent for my room and tickets with a really good discount. I figure that it's not really a great deal, but not bad either. I wpuld never budget for a mug at the resort since we don't drink soda or juice. Then, I don't need to buy a side and dessert with my lunch. I never order dessert with dinner, but would love an appetizer once in awhile. The 2 snacks are almost wasted on us because we're just not big eaters. We'll try to use those credits on prepackaged things that we can take home and freeze. I also don't want to spend my vacation ever worrying about reservations again. I hated having to leave something fun to go eat when I wasn't even hungry. But, when the ressies are so hard to get, you've got to use them.

disneyboundagain
10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
...I think I can beat that and still eat well... [/B]

Eat well..... I'm sorry, did I miss where you said your are eating outside the park?:D

In our opinion, the DDP has absolutely KILLED the quality of food and overall dining experience over the past several years.

We have free dining for our Feb trip, and we STILL plan on eating outside the parks for a couple of dinners.

If you have the transportation means, I would really recommend eating at least a few meals outside the park.

I wonder if there would be any interest in starting a "sticky" thread for places to eat outside the parks??

Fastpasssteve
10-08-2010, 12:17 AM
On our many trips, we've never used the DDP. But this time I'm going with a close family friend. We are both people who like to rest a few times during a hard day in the parks and like to eat well.

We are using the Deluxe Dining Plan. We are using some of our credits for signature dining at Jiko, California Grill, Brown Derby, and Artist Point. That freed us up to spend some time at the Food and Wine Festival (using up those snack credits)! We did the math, and for the type of dining we were looking for, we each saved at least $350 each, compared to paying OOP.

However, this is a special trip with special circumstances. It is doubtful we will do it this way next time, but it will be great this time! Perhaps the DDP doesn't fit into your plans every time...adapt, overcome.

disneyboundagain
10-08-2010, 06:51 AM
... your ...

:mad::mad: ... you're ...

Kills me when other people do it.... I know better....:mad::mad:

A Big Kid
10-08-2010, 07:26 AM
We did the math, and for the type of dining we were looking for, we each saved at least $350 each, compared to paying OOP.

Did you factor in tips? on the DDP, and even more so with the DDDP, there is a tendancy to order more expensive items on the menu because they are "free." That in turn raises your tip amount.

PETE FROM NYC
10-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Last year, in September, we had free dining, and made good use of it.
This year we stayed in BLT, one BR villa, as DVC members, and would have had to purchase the dining plan if we wanted it.
We did some careful planning and figuring, and we decided against the DDP.
What we did was to make breakfast each morning, then make sandwiches to eat in our park du jour. We also carried an insulated jug of ice water so we did not have to buy drinks all day. This way we could splurge on a nice TS dinner each night.

lynnek
10-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Being a newbie to the DDp, we chose to try it this time. We actually upgraded to the DDDP. We have three kids, 10, 12 and 2. The older two are billed as adults and haven't eaten off a kids menu in a few yrs. The 2 yr old isn't charged, will eat off our plates. We look at it as a great dining experience--the kids have no restrictions on menu choices which expands their tastes. We take frequent trips to NYC and choose restaurants according to cuisines we want to try. I am actually the more conservative of the group. Also, we will be able to try lots of different things at F&W with snack credits. I know I won't be worried about the kids not liking something--they can fill up at the next meal. I also like the idea of having the majority of it paid for ahead(obviously not the tips). I don't view it as free--I have paid for it in some way, so I do have expectations of good food and service.

angua85
10-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I agree that DDP is only a value if you get it free.

But I am really posting to point out that often times you can swap the "dessert" for bags of grapes or apple slices. Even if they are not listed on the menu- I have had cast members offer things off the menu. We also used our "snack" credits for our breakfast. We ended up with unused credits, as we just are not big eaters.

Daisy'sMom
10-09-2010, 09:17 AM
I am going in a few weeks to spend time with family members. We received the AP discount but my uncle wanted me to look into "free dining". If we had taken free dining it would have increased our price well over 500.00 for us. It was not an option.:mickey:

TheVBs
10-09-2010, 09:33 AM
We would never pay for the DDP again. Love getting it free, but we get much better value paying OOP than paying for the DDP.

But I am really posting to point out that often times you can swap the "dessert" for bags of grapes or apple slices. Even if they are not listed on the menu- I have had cast members offer things off the menu.

Thank you for such a great tip! I never would have thought of this. We rarely eat dessert, so this would be a great option for us!

2MuchWDFun
10-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I am going in a few weeks to spend time with family members. We received the AP discount but my uncle wanted me to look into "free dining". If we had taken free dining it would have increased our price well over 500.00 for us. It was not an option.:mickey:
Daisy's Mom makes a great point--
If you stay in deluxe resorts the room discounts you receive with AP, AAA, and others will usually save more than the cost of the dining plan. This is not so for the values-the per day savings of the room discount is a lot lower. Moderates can be a toss-up.:goodbad:

Everyone's situation is different--as we've seen in all of our posts. You must run the numbers, and know how your family likes to dine.:eat: Are they snackers, fast foodies, or prefer table service every meal? Is dining an important part of the Disney experience or are you eating because you have to? How much time do you want to give up to doing TS dining or is QS more to your liking? Do you have kids who are adults (10 y/o plus) in Disney's eyes but don't eat like an adult, yet still have to pay the adult dining plan price?
Do you like the convenience of having most of your food prepaid? What is your vacation budget?
All these factors and more go into making a decision about using the dining plan or not. Just because it works for one family doesn't mean it works for another.

Fastpasssteve
10-09-2010, 04:54 PM
If I am going out during a vacation, I am likely to order the Beef Filet no matter if I am on a dining plan or not. I want what I want. That's why the DDP is such a deal for us. We would have ordered the expensive stuff no matter what.

Belster
10-10-2010, 09:32 AM
...just too darn expensive this year. We are 3 Adults and 1 Child. My adult DS, however, doesn't eat the expensive stuff.

$47 per adult x 3 = $141
$12 per child x 1 = $12
Total = $153 per day.

Still have to buy breakfast: Add $30/day
and tip for dinner: Add $20 per day
New Total = $203 per day.
Trip Total = $1421

I haven't done an exhaustive calculation using the Intercot Excel sheet but I think I can beat that and still eat well (Not Narcossee's every night but...)

It seems like it started as a loss leader to get everyone in the restaurants and now it's a huge profit center.

For me the plan is many things but inexpensive is not one of them. When my family of 5 vacations we like to do things all inclusive. There is nothing worse(I have done it at wdw) than having to have a prep talk before you go to eat...ie...guys I only have x amount of money...you HAVE to order from the kids menu and we will not be getting dessert today. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!! The DDP is a sense of peace..when I am on vacation that we have planned for all year long, I want to eat things that I would noy normally, and enjoy it all prepaid.

We go during free dining, I know many people say it is not worth it but to me it is. When you have 3 or more people in your party the free DDP is a far better deal in my opinion.

Seasonscraps
10-10-2010, 10:35 AM
With the dining plan, I think you really need to do the math to decide if cost effective. As the price of the DDP goes up, so do the prices on the menus. $1400 is a lot of money but if you add up the menu prices of everything you would order OOP it may work out to be more then $1400 or it could be less.

disneyboundagain:

I wonder if there would be any interest in starting a "sticky" thread for places to eat outside the parks??

I would LOVE this! We go off property to eat and more often then not end up at a chain restaurant.

Rosemickey68
10-10-2010, 03:16 PM
As they say to each his own. We have never done the ddp either, but have chose to on our upcoming trip. I agree with the poster who said you have to do the math yourself and your family on whether or not it is cost effective. We did the math for all 3 discounts that were released in August, the free dining was the winner for our family. This was based off of what our plans were and how everyone in our party likes to eat, and where we like to eat. We priced the hotel (reg price vs. the discount), park tix, and dining plans with estimated tax and tip, we totaled those for each separate discount as applicable.
We don't eat dessert at every meal either, however I had read you can ask if they offer a selection not listed, or I assumed if we didn't feel like eating the dessert at the time hopefully there would be a choice that we could take to eat later, such as a cookie or grapes.
Overall, eating at Disney is expensive either way you look at it. We still have our favorite places to eat and so far they have remained good and/or great places to dine. So we are keeping our fingers crossed that this extended free dining doesn't effect those places!

rubato
10-10-2010, 05:16 PM
With the dining plan, I think you really need to do the math to decide if cost effective. As the price of the DDP goes up, so do the prices on the menus. $1400 is a lot of money but if you add up the menu prices of everything you would order OOP it may work out to be more then $1400 or it could be less.
I think the key is to add up what you would pay "normally". If you wouldn't buy the most expensive thing on the menu normally, don't use that as your meal price. If you would normally drink water and not order a dessert, so what if that's included in the plan? Also, the more expensive the item you order on your meal plan, the bigger the tip you need to leave OOP. People tend to forget this part of it. ;)

faline
10-10-2010, 05:38 PM
We don't eat dessert at every meal either, however I had read you can ask if they offer a selection not listed, or I assumed if we didn't feel like eating the dessert at the time hopefully there would be a choice that we could take to eat later, such as a cookie or grapes.

Keep in mind that you can also order your dessert "to go" if you are too full to eat it at the time of your meal. We did this a number of times while we were on the dining plan and they had our dessert for "breakfast"!

Belster
10-10-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't know about anyone else but we would never eat the way we "normally" eat when on vacation. When on vacation you should be treating yourself. Never underestimate the joy of having the little treasures like having dessert after every meal or having free reign of the menu...to me that is just priceless. I really don't know how a family of 4 could eat for less than 153.00 per day at Disney and say that they ate well. Now going off property is another thing, for sure you could eat for less.

Mr_Increddieble
10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
All these are great points and well said.
If it were only $153 per day we would sign up right quick. But it's a solid $1400 per week for 3 Adults and 1 Child when you factor in other meals and tips ($200 per day). Remember though that 5 yrs ago you got an appetizer and dessert and the tip was included and it cost less.
So I am asking myself "When does it become too much?"
I think it has reached that point. If money is no object then sure - book it.
We love to stay and eat on-site and so we'll opt for less expensive places. Same magic - less cost (I hope). In the end it's our first trip w/out the DDP. So we'll see how it goes. Worst case I spend the same or only a little more. If it's more then I'll have learned a lesson.

PinKy
10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Eat well..... I'm sorry, did I miss where you said your are eating outside the park?:D

In our opinion, the DDP has absolutely KILLED the quality of food and overall dining experience over the past several years.

We have free dining for our Feb trip, and we STILL plan on eating outside the parks for a couple of dinners.

If you have the transportation means, I would really recommend eating at least a few meals outside the park.

Really?! :confused: We have the exact OPPOSITE experience! Part of the reason we GO to Disney is for the dining!! Goodness - we just love it. I will say this in regards to the rest of the original poster's view on the Dining Plan - I think it depends on what your "dining style" is. We do the Deluxe Dining every year and while it is NOT cheap (I also wouldn't call it outrageously priced), it allows us the flexibility and convenience of paying for our meals in advance (except tips of course) and we do several dining experiences or 2-pointers that we wouldn't normally do. :::shrugs::: Just a preference I think.