PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Evaluations

Dulcee
10-06-2010, 07:56 PM
So some of you may remember I'm a new graduate student. As a graduate student I'm required to TA two freshmen/sophomore level biology labs.

I was really hesitant about this before starting. I've never considered myself a teacher and wasn't really looking forward to my first experience being with a bunch of freshmen.

Six weeks later I really enjoy it. I have sole control over my syllabus, quizzes, grading, lecturing ect. The kids are great and it still amazes me I'm enjoying watching the kids "get" tough ideas and improve their technical writing skills.

Anyway, I decided to give them a chance to give me some feedback and gave them a survey to fill out on how lab has been for them.

Most of the results were great. They like me and think I'm doing a good job but a few negative ones are getting to me. And the worst of it is, is that the negative comments "you have unrealistic expectations of me" "you grade too hard" "you made me rethink that I can be a biology major" don't give any feedback on how I can make things better for them!

Its just frustrating and kind of a downer since I really thought I was doing a great job with these guys.

So any teachers out there? How do you handle those comments/negative reviews?

retiredfigment
10-06-2010, 09:30 PM
First of all, never do something like this unless you are ready to handle the negatives. There will always be some. You did not say if these were done anonymously. If you know who the students are, speak with them personally and ask them why they feel that way. If you don't know who wrote them make a general announcement inviting students to discuss grades, expectations with you. Unfortunately, the negative remarks might just be students who want the good grade without the work. Good luck!

cather74
10-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Remember these kids are freshman and it's their first year. It's much easier to blame someone else then to take take a look at yourself. (Some adults still find this difficult.) You did your best and part of being a teacher is building up some tough skin. It's hard to go in there and be enthusiastic and think you are changing everyones lives and then the bubble gets popped. If all the other ones were positive, don't sweat it. Congrats on all the good things you did!:mickey:

VWL Mom
10-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Most of the results were great. They like me and think I'm doing a good job but a few negative ones are getting to me. And the worst of it is, is that the negative comments "you have unrealistic expectations of me" "you grade too hard" "you made me rethink that I can be a biology major" don't give any feedback on how I can make things better for them!

Its just frustrating and kind of a downer since I really thought I was doing a great job with these guys.

So any teachers out there? How do you handle those comments/negative reviews?

IMHO you should look at the negative comments,weigh their validity, and take them as constructive criticism. Many times the kids will write nice things because they're afraid the teacher will find out who wrote what. Those that wrote negative may just be complainers or may actually have valid points.

I think RetiredFig's suggestion to make yourself available to those wanting to discuss further is an excellent idea. You may get better feedback in person.

Don't be too hard on yourself. No one is perfect especially when first starting out. Look at this as one of those sitiuations which will only make you stronger.

Good luck!

Ms. Mode
10-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Maybe it would be a good thing if they did rethink their major! They should be challenged to do their best work after all. :)

brivers222
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
You can't please all the people all the time... Also i do agree, these are Freshmen student coming off what was most likely their easiest year in all of grade school... Senior year of HS.... and Senioritis.

Sometimes the ones that say those things don't belong in the field...

My mom was a biology / anatomy professor (PhD actually) and she was the hardest grading person i know... I refused to take her class becuase she would probabaly of failed me lol

anyways her logic was, "hey I am teaching you things that will be very valuable in your lifetime... as the next generation and most likely some of you will be the ones taking care of me in the hospital... i want to make sure I do it right!"

Sure enough this past summer my mom came down with Pneumonia.... her nurses aide... a former student.

So the moral is, don't let those negatives get you down... some people may not be cut out for the field anyways. Heck they make you pick your major when you are what? like 13??

Don't skimp on teaching just because you want everyone to give you a 100% its survival of the fitest in the real world :thumbsup:

Disney Doll
10-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I teach at the college level and I don't let the negative comments bother me if it's just one or two people. Usually I know who it is even though the evaluations are anonymous and usually there are other issues besides my teaching at play.

In general I think anyone who is going to rate an instructor poorly on the likert scale questions, but can't be bothered to provide written comments explaining why or offering suggestion to improve the class doesn't warrant any real concern. They just want to gripe and do not offer useful information.

Don't let it get you down. If you find that you are seeing a few negative reviews with similar concerns then you can reevaluate yourself.

AdventurerKim
10-09-2010, 11:39 PM
I agree; don't let the negatives get you down, esp. since there are so few. The students who think you grade too hard or have unrealisitic expectations are probably lazy and don't want to work hard. I get that all the time from my laziest and least producing students. Consider the sources of the criticism.