PDA

View Full Version : Planet Hollywood or Captain's Grille?

Grumpy.
10-05-2010, 07:43 PM
G'day,

I'm a long time reader (for over 4 years!) and first time poster. I've gleaned a ton of useful info off this site and really appreciate it. I've always been able to find any answer to any questions I've had by searching the forums but I've finally come across a question that I really need help with.

I'll start with a little background info. My family consists of my wife, myself and our four jameaters who've only been to WDW once. DD's 13, 11 and 9. DS is 8. We are staying for 11 nights and have made our ADR's.

So without further adieu, here's my very first Intercot question. I have to pick between PH and CG. I've read that food and service can be lacking at PH, but there is plenty of atmosphere, perhaps more entertaining for the jameaters? The CG sounds like it has good food and service, but it's basically just a nice regular restaurant. We do have 5 character meals booked, jameaters loved them last time, so we'll have lots of that Disney magic at other times. We also are using ME and the PH reservation would be for 3 hrs after we land...cutting it too close? Which one should we go with?

Thanks for all the help. I do appreciate it.

BrerGnat
10-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Skip Planet Hollywood. It's ridiculously loud and the food is not good.

Where are you staying? That might help to determine if going to eat at Downtown Disney would be "cutting it too close." But, to be frank, if you are using DME and then resort transportation to get to Downtown Disney on your arrival night, 3 hours is cutting it close. It usually takes anywhere from 1-2 hours just to get to the resort via DME (lots of factors play into this).

If you are already going to be in the Epcot resort area, Captain's Grill makes more sense for arrival night dinner. The restaurant is nicely themed. It's not over the top, but the food and service is good, and the YC is a gorgeous resort at night.

sassafras
10-05-2010, 11:16 PM
I'd try the CG. It's one of our favorite places to dine in DW. Food is very good, service is excellent, and has a very relaxing atmosphere. We've never been rushed thru our meal either.

laprana
10-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Skip Planet Hollywood. It's ridiculously loud and the food is not good.

:ditto: I'd go with Captain's Grille. We ate there this past May and it was one of our favorite meals of the trip! Great food, excellent service, and a nice but still casual atmosphere. I recommend the crab legs! :tasty:

JanetMegan
10-06-2010, 01:27 PM
I also recommend CG-we ate there last month and the food was very good. Service was a bit slow but the food was some of the best!

diz_girl
10-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Another vote for CG. You can enjoy a stoll around the Boardwalk or take in the EPCOT fireworks after your meal.

Grumpy.
10-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Well this looks like it's turning into a no brainer...:mickey:

Spaceship Tigger
10-07-2010, 09:06 AM
The CG is just that, a nice regular restaurant. PH would probably be much more entertaining for the kids, and the food there is just fine. If I had four kids 13 and under, the decision would be an easy one.

#1donaldfan
10-07-2010, 12:17 PM
PH was and is Horrible:sick:.....go for CG !!:party:

MOJoe
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Since this is your first meal after you arrive, i ask; Wouldn't you enjoy a good meal in a relaxing environment much more than a poor meal in a loud place? Atmosphere has it's place, but after a tiring travel day, i find that i can't enjoy a place like PH.
Give me a little peace and quiet, and i'll get this party started....tomorrow.

bostonsam
10-07-2010, 07:19 PM
planning on trying Planet Hollywood...DS's will enjoy their menu,haven't been to either of those places but sounds like it's a better choice for us.
Our first day is tiring but by the time we land wayyy to excited:party:to be sleep(y)

Jeri Lynn
10-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I know I am a minority and most people dislike Planet Hollywood...however, I've been there multiple times and have never had a bad meal. The atmosphere is loud but I always enjoy looking at all the movie paraphenelia and our kids have always loved the place.

I went to Captain's Grille once and the food was also very good.

I think your kids might enjoy PH more.

IrishMickey
10-08-2010, 09:30 AM
We have kids with your ages and we would still pick CG over PH, we have never been happy with PH.

BrerGnat
10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
If you're really into the movie memorabilia thing, I'd suggest stopping in at PH one day while you are already at the Downtown Disney West Side. Hop in for drinks/apps/or desserts. You can look around, take in the atmosphere, but not be tied down to an expensive, pretty sub par food experience.

They do decent with apps, desserts, and drinks, though and that will get you in there with enough time to check out the atmosphere.

JerseyDad
10-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I know I am a minority and most people dislike Planet Hollywood...however, I've been there multiple times and have never had a bad meal. The atmosphere is loud but I always enjoy looking at all the movie paraphenelia and our kids have always loved the place.

I went to Captain's Grille once and the food was also very good.

I think your kids might enjoy PH more.

....ditto here. I've never had a bad meal at Planet Hollywood (I always order a NY Strip Steak)....and although it's loud...it's supposed to be. We always do DtD on our arrival day (usually get to WDW around 11am)....and it's been a good place to have a meal before we do 90% of our shopping that first night (and get it over with)

Gator
10-10-2010, 12:41 AM
I've never been to the Captain's Grille, but I've been to Planet Hollywood. Skip it. Food is very regular and very pricey. Plus it's loud....for a WDW restaurant. And that is extremely loud. I can handle noise, but it was terrible in there. Anywhere else has got to be better.

A Big Kid
10-10-2010, 09:58 AM
I've never been to Captain's grill. I'm NEVER going back to Planet Hollywood.

MinnieMommie
10-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Just wondering where you are staying? That may make a difference on how close you are cutting the reservation from the time your plane lands. 3 hrs can be cutting it close regardless of where you stay unless you will be at a resort near to CG or PH.

That being said, I would definitely eat at CG for a relaxing good meal with my children and DH on the first day after a long flight, checking in and unpacking. I too have 4 children who are now older than yours but they all like CG now and when the were younger.

The decision also depends on how and where you plan to spend your first day. If you are going to a park or planning to go to DD this too will factor in. :mickey:

Grumpy.
10-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Thanks for all the help so far. We are staying at POP. We'll be there for 11 nights.
Right now, I think I'm leaning towards taking the crew to CG, mainly because there has not been one negative comment about eating there whereas there are lots of negative comments about PH. Secondly, I'm thinkin' if we go to CG then we see a resort we've never been to and can walk the boardwalk area taking in the Christmas decorations.
I did like the suggestion of a PP who suggested checking out PH for a drink or dessert on a DD day, then we can decide if we want to eat a full meal there another day. :thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a plan. The holiday decorations at the Yacht & Beach Club and the BoardWalk are really nice and definitely worth a visit. As long as you keep on task you should be able to get to CG within 3 hrs of your plane landing. Let us know how everything works out. :mickey: