PDA

View Full Version : Tonga Toast?

DARDEVL'S SURPRISE
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
So, I made all my ADR's back at 180 days, and I was looking forward to trying Kona Cafe. Now at 39 days out, I found that I overbooked our TS credits and decided to cancel a few of them to keep up within the "free dining" range, and also to schedule in a little "wing it" time.

Really wanted to try Tonga Toast after hearing so much about it. Is it served anywhere other than Kona? Maybe CS style?

Thanks in advance!

wdwfansince75
10-05-2010, 01:24 PM
It is also served at Captain Cook's, the grab n go at the Poly....Just take the resort monorail to Poly....it is on the lower level, to the left rear of the Great Ceremonial House...from the monorail...enter the GCH, stay to the left, turn left in front of Ohana, down the steps, down the hallway, and you can't miss it! Same stuff, just as good, costs less. Last trip, walked down from SoG just to have Tonga Toast on my way to MK.

WDWCrazyKaren
10-05-2010, 02:17 PM
I've not tried it either, and I think it sounds fantastic. I really want to go, and I've been to Kona before, but my DH doesn't care for Kona and doesn't want to try the Tonga Toast (I have no idea why?? I think he'd love it), so it doesn't look I'll be enjoying it any time soon. Someone have a few extra bites for me!

badkitty
10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
I've not tried it either, and I think it sounds fantastic. I really want to go, and I've been to Kona before, but my DH doesn't care for Kona and doesn't want to try the Tonga Toast (I have no idea why?? I think he'd love it), so it doesn't look I'll be enjoying it any time soon. Someone have a few extra bites for me!

You could always go to Captain Cook's (CS). You can have Tonga Toast without going to Kona's and your DH could eggs, bacon etc. I love it at Captain Cook's. I like sitting outside with my meal. I just wished they served the Macadamia nut pancakes there! :eat:

DARDEVL'S SURPRISE
10-05-2010, 06:06 PM
It is also served at Captain Cook's, the grab n go at the Poly....Just take the resort monorail to Poly....it is on the lower level, to the left rear of the Great Ceremonial House...from the monorail...enter the GCH, stay to the left, turn left in front of Ohana, down the steps, down the hallway, and you can't miss it! Same stuff, just as good, costs less. Last trip, walked down from SoG just to have Tonga Toast on my way to MK.

Thanks for the directions! I can't wait to try it!

pirateyankee80
10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
:number1:Just made an ADR for Kona Cafe for our trip in early December, our first visit to the Kona Cafe, can't wait to try the Tonga Toast !!:eat:

jmj18
10-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Tonga Toast is AWESOME!!!!!

Enjoy!

:mickey:

Pocahontas
10-06-2010, 02:17 PM
I also couldn't wait to try the Tonga Toast after hearing so many people rave about it. Unfortunately I didn't think it lived up to all the hype, but maybe I was expecting too much! I did eat it at Captain Cooks and not Kona Cafe. Maybe it's better at Kona's. Does anyone know from experience? My daughter (18 y/o) did like it a lot more than I did and had it twice during our week trip.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
We have had Tonga Toast at both Kona and Captain Cooks.... no difference to me except price and having to tip!

We don't eat at Kona Cafe anymore just because we can take our tonga toast and big kahuna breakfast from Captain Cooks ourside by the pool and eat watching the Lagoon.

LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

Word to the wise though... YOU DO NOT NEED SYRUP!!! It is sweet enough w/o IMO.

badkitty
10-06-2010, 04:25 PM
We have had Tonga Toast at both Kona and Captain Cooks.... no difference to me except price and having to tip!

We don't eat at Kona Cafe anymore just because we can take our tonga toast and big kahuna breakfast from Captain Cooks ourside by the pool and eat watching the Lagoon.

LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

Word to the wise though... YOU DO NOT NEED SYRUP!!! It is sweat enough w/o IMO.

:ditto: on everything you said! :mickey:

disneymom2000
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I must be the :spoiler: I tried it after everyone talked about how awesome it was but I didn't like it. I think it was too sweet for me and I don't like mushy food. Did I get a bad serving?:confused:

BrerGnat
10-07-2010, 10:20 PM
I once made banana stuffed french toast at home, and discovered that, although I love bananas AND French Toast, I did not love how they tasted together. I was all set to try Tonga Toast until I conducted this experiment at home. Glad I figured that out before spending $$$ on Tonga Toast!

For the record, I don't like donuts either (I know...I must be an alien...), so the idea of DEEP FRIED french toast is :ack: to me.

Jennifer_and_Chris
10-08-2010, 10:04 AM
I must be the :spoiler: I tried it after everyone talked about how awesome it was but I didn't like it. I think it was too sweet for me and I don't like mushy food. Did I get a bad serving?:confused:

I definitely think that Tonga Toast is an aquired taste. I am an Asian Pacific Islander so, I have grown up with fried bananas all my life.

The fried bananas are mushy because they use ripe to almost over ripe banana. The bread part reminds me of the chinese donuts that are at just about any chinese buffet. but, with "larger" sugar granuals.

Hope that makes sense and more descriptive for those wishing to partake in the Tonga Toast festivities!

Disneyglamour
10-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Tonga Toast = AMAZING!!! :D So good I'm going for my birthday breakfast this year :party:

Suz36
10-14-2010, 12:00 AM
I read that they have Tonga Toast on the breakfast menu at AK's Rainforest Cafe. Can anyone confirm this, and is it comparable to the Poly's?

BrerGnat
10-14-2010, 09:34 AM
I read that they have Tonga Toast on the breakfast menu at AK's Rainforest Cafe. Can anyone confirm this, and is it comparable to the Poly's?

No it's NOT the same. It is just standard French toast with a strawberry and banana (sliced fresh fruit) topping. It's nothing like the Poly's version.

Hull-onian
10-14-2010, 02:13 PM
When we went to Kona Cafe, we had the Tonga Toast and loved it...We had great service, and just loved the atmosphere....Tonga Toast for us :tasty:

brivers222
10-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Next december we are honeymooning at the Polynesian.. guess i will be sampling some of this hehe