PDA

View Full Version : Our Summer Celebration, Day 9, Part : Our Last Full Day

darthmacho
10-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Date: August 23, 2010

The Cast:
DM: Me, Darth Macho, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
DW: Dear Wife, The Queen, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
DD1: Princess, 9yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (That she'll remember. She was just 2yo on her actual first visit.)
DD2: Princess, 6yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (She was born mysteriously 9 months after our last visit…)

I apologize that this is taking so long, but I'm finding less and less time to complete this report. You know, busy-busy, I promise to wrap it up soon!

Our Last Full Day

It was Day 9 of our 10 day trip, and it sure felt like it. Everyone was happy, but we were all exhausted after 8 days of go, go, go, and our feet were very sore. Even though I was chomping at the bit to get to the Magic Kingdom (as all WDW should be wrapped up) in order to fit in as much as possible, I decided to let the girls sleep in for the second day in a row. Wake up call would be for 9am.

Unable to stay in bed, I got up at 7am and gathered the laundry. Not only would this give me a chance to enjoy the morning atmosphere at POR, but it would also allow the whole family to go home with 9 days of clean laundry instead of dirty. I thought that would be a coup. As I was leaving the room, there was a sad moment, that inevitable moment of the trip when you find the envelope hanging on your doorknob for Magical Express, and you know the trip is coming to an end. It said that ME would pick us up at 4pm the next day for our trip to the airport. It was a mere 33 hours until we'd be leaving WDW, and that felt like a bummer to me.

I was glad I decided to get up and enjoy every minute of that time that I could. So I threw the laundry into the washer, got a free coffee refill in my mug, and took a nice brisk walk around the river. Nothing cures sore feet like a nice long walk, lol. After transferring the laundry, I decided to get a USA Today and sit by the quiet pool with another coffee refill, and take it easy, which was something it seems I hadn't done all week. I didn't really want to know what was going on in the real world, but I couldn't help but read about the trapped Chilean miners, but after that I skipped to the sports section to read about football. I was a little surprised at the amount of people swimming or sunning at the quiet pool so early. There were about 8 people there besides me.

Our Magic Kingdom Mission

Anyway, after fetching breakfast and folding the laundry, it was time to get moving. We caught the bus and were on our way to the Magic Kingdom. Our plan for the day was to each choose one attraction that we wanted to experience one last time, and decide together on at least one more. All other rides would be a bonus. Another mission we had was to locate Chip and Dale, because in 8 days, we hadn't managed to pin them down. In past trips we had been literally tripping over these two characters, but this trip, we hadn't seen much of them, and hadn't had an opportunity to get their autograph or picture. The kids really wanted to meet them, so I promised them that one way or another we would. Someone had tipped us off that they were always situated at the Firehouse on Main Street, so that was going to be our first stop upon entering before continuing on with our agenda. This plan couldn't fail.

Mission Failed

When we got to the Magic Kingdom, thanks to our late start, it was very crowded. We still managed to get in quickly and went straight to the Firehouse, only to find out that Pluto was there, and not CnD. No one inside had a clue where they might be or when. Someone suggested we try the building across the street, but after hoofing it over there, we found it was Pinocchio. Further exploring uncovered Tigger, Pooh, and Daisy Duck, but no Chip or Dale. My frustration was mounting, so finally I told the kids we'd find them later, and that we should move on, but they must have sensed the doubt in my voice because they gave me a sad look.

Unfortunately, my frustration mounted as we were leaving the Fire Station for the second time and a parade broke out! It was one of those Celebration Parades, but because of where we were situated, as it came pouring out of its secret hidey-hole, we were trapped on a corner like rats (or mice? lol) and we couldn't get around it to get up Main Street, so we had no choice but to stand there and watch it as we waited for it to pass. I was dying to get to the rides, but here I was listening to that silly pop style song in it's entirety for the second time. It was a cute parade, I suppose, but I had bigger plans, lol.

DD1's Choice: Splash Mountain

After escaping the "Celebration" we headed for DD1's choice, Splash Mountain. She was very certain and decisive, and knowing the potential for long lines, I decided we should do this now. This would have been my choice too, but I had let the kids pick first. That was good for me because I got to go on my top choice, and could still pick another favorite. That was fun. I feared we'd have to get a FP, but to my surprise, there was only a 15 minute wait in the stand-by line. This seemed odd, but you can't discount good luck, so we jumped into line. This was our best ride yet because there was not a single breakdown or stoppage. To me, Splash Mountain, with its combination of thrills and wonderful storytelling makes it the best ride in MK for sure. It's the ride that I need to get on multiple times each trip. I think we got on four times, which was no big feat, but our high for the trip for one ride, and it was better than just getting in one time.

Another Rain Soaked Lunch

Now we had gotten a late start, hadn't found Chip and Dale, and had only gotten on one ride, we were already hungry for lunch, and we knew that the lunch hour was going to be upon us before we knew it, so therefore we decided to eat in and old favorite, Pecos Bill Café. Back in 2003, we ate a nice, quiet off hours lunch here to beat the heat on a very crowded day. I recall fondly that DD1 had taken a nap in her stroller that visit, while we took refuge eating great food in a cool, dark little dining room, out of the heat, a nice little respite.

This time was not quite the same. When we came into PBC, it was not too crowded, but once we ordered, for some reason, it took them a LONG time to prepare our food. I saw other lines moving people in and out after us a lot faster than we were, and suddenly, you guessed it, it had started to rain outside, so people were now coming in in droves! It got so mobbed so quickly that DW decided to secure a table before it was too late. We did get one, but the fixins bar was crowded and chaotic by the time we got there, and it was hard to maneuver to get what you wanted.

The rain came down so heavily, that the restaurant soon was packed, and there were people having a hard time finding a seat because people were lingering rather than finishing quickly, knowing they had no choice but to head out into the rain. Admittedly, we were one of the parties lingering over a few last bites, and you could see frustration mounting on the people who were circling like vultures around anyone like us that had little food left. We ate our desserts slowly, but soon there was a woman hovering so close that it became uncomfortable, and we decided to just finish up and leave. We cleaned up and donned our ponchos, heading out into the rain. I was a little disappointed that lunch at one of my favorites had not gone as planned. I don't even remember what the food tasted like, honestly. I'm sure it was fine. Better luck next time…

More Magic Kingdom in Part 2...

2MuchWDFun
10-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I know what you mean about the last day announcement hanging on the door...sorry you got off to a slow start at MK--hopefully you'll find Chip and Dale!

faline
10-04-2010, 07:13 PM
It seems that the last full day stress has taken hold! Hope the afternoon goes well for you!

RedSoxFan
10-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I can't believe how hard it is to find Chip and Dale. I have always found the easiest to find.

T-Belle
10-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Oh the dreaded Magical Express envelope on the doorknob!!! We all know that sinking feeling!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the update

princessgirls
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
The last day is always bittersweet...

Darth...You DID LAUNDRY!! Very nice treat for the wife. I came home with 47 pounds (in my suitcase) in December of dirty clothes. Fun times for me!!!

Splash always has and always will be my favorite ride!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the report. Sorry your lunch at Peco's got chaotic there, that is annoying!
Julie:mickey: