PDA

View Full Version : Anything great at Hollywood Studios?

Gator
10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
It seems I have no trouble picking places to eat at the other 3 parks. But when it comes to DHS, I seem to have trouble determining what I want.

I've been to Mama's Melrose, and it was good until they took off the one thing on the menu that was fantasic: Pork Marsala. Plus the kids don't like it.

I've had enough of Hollywood and Vine. I've been there 4 times. The last two were for the character meal at lunch. But the kids just didn't seem interested in Jojo and Goliath (been off the air for years), and the food isn't good enough to go back for.

Brown Derby is just too expensive to try.

I went to SciFi Diner on my Honeymoon. I remember the atmosphere being good, but the food at the level of a counter service.

Haven't tried 50's Prime Time. Should I go this route, or just eat dinner at Shutters back at Carribbean Beach where I'm staying?

JerseyDad
10-03-2010, 08:41 PM
......50's Prime Time is a big favorite of ours. There is always something on the menu that should please any family member. The bar area is my personal favorite.....it's like I walked into a genuine 1950's living room...and the details are pretty amazing (oh....and they have good drinks too :marg:).

....the "entertainment" factor is a big hit there also. One time...my oldest daugher cleaned her plate....and was dubbed by our waiter as "Princess Hoover"!!:D

....really good..."simple" classic american food...great atmosphere...and a bit of amusing entertainment.

SBETigg
10-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I would go over to the Boardwalk and eat something there, Kouzzina maybe. Or if you're a park hopper, World Showcase isn't that far away with plenty of options. I'm not a fan of a lot of the options at DHS either. I do like Brown Derby. Otherwise, I usually stick to quick service there.

Madame Leona
10-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Sci Fi is a must for us. The food doesn't stand out but the atmosphere is wonderful!

HoosierDisneyFan
10-03-2010, 10:35 PM
I would go to the 50s Prime if nothing else for the experience. Some guests love it (as we do!) others wish for more interaction and some people just down get it and are offended (did they have no clue what the place was like before they entered?).

We love the setting with the old 50s TV shows running. The food is standard tradional "home cooked food" like fried chicken or meatload is served.

Elbows off the table!!

MagicalGuest
10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Love the atmosphere at 50s Primetime...hate the food. Epcot is close via ferry. Why not go there and enjoy a meal in World Showcase?

TheDuckRocks
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
We enjoyed 50s Primetime and thought the food was very good for homestyle pot roast, chicken and meatloaf. The brownie sundae thing was outstanding, we came home and turned their idea into a brownie sundae bar for Christmas Eve dessert.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I've not tried 50's Primetime but my mom and sister just ate there a couple of months ago. She said it was good but not great....fun atmosphere though...still I would go somewhere else

Ms. Mode
10-04-2010, 11:57 AM
We love SF for a TS lunch...not dinner.
5o's PT was a bit much for us and the food wasn't that good.
For CS try Starring Rolls...just wonderful!

brivers222
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
my vote for 50PT... its the only place I got an ADR for at HS

AllyMouse
10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I love BD... it's pricey, so why not have a nice sit-down lunch? You can get a cobb salad, or an appetizer and split an entree... still get the experience without shelling out an arm and a leg...

MOJoe
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
I know you have ruled out Brown Derby because of the cost. But really, it is the only "great" place to eat at the Studios.

lettripp
10-04-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm a big fan of 50's Prime Time. The food is good and the portions are quite large. If you save room for desert, try the smores! Delish :-)

big blue and hairy
10-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I know you have ruled out Brown Derby because of the cost. But really, it is the only "great" place to eat at the Studios.

It also depends what you get. You can make a meal out of the appetizers. It is DW and my favorite place when we're trying to eat well (not often enough unfortunatley). The appetizer Cobb salad for two is just the right size as an entree salad for one and it is great!

:sulley:

brownie
10-04-2010, 11:34 PM
We like Backlot Express, though it's a counter service. I like the theming of Sci-Fi Dine-in, and the food has been decent when we've eaten there.