PDA

View Full Version : Random World Showcase questions

lynnek
09-30-2010, 10:11 PM
We are going to WDW in Nov for the first time and I have been researching a ton since we first decided this in June. I started a file called WDW tips I like, reading trip reports, advice etc from you all and cutting and pasting to my little file. For World Showcase, this has evolved into things I don't want to forget to tell the kids while we are there. I have acouple questions for you:)
There is a Scotch Egg on the Rose and Crown menu--this happens to be of interest to my kids--kind of like you have to be kidding!!? I personally think they are good(especially with beer). Question is, can the kids get one of these--to go--or from a counter service or something?
Another question in regards to United Kingdom--is there a hopscotch game painted somewhere? I heard this somewhere....
O.K. next, Morocco--if you stand in the hallway you can hear a family upstairs--is it any particular family? Also, has anyone seen the copy of the letter from Pres Washington--my understanding is that Morocco was the first country recognizing the US as a country. There is supposed to be a letter in the Morocco pavilion somewhere...
Italy--on the side of a bldg there is a saying, alla salut(cheers). Is it easy to find, has anyone seen it?
Norway--in the Stave church, is there still a museum of artifacts including info on the viking raiders--I am interested to see if there is info on Rognvald, known for invading France.
Also, in the queue(sp?) waiting for Maelstrom, has anyone seen the Viking wearing a different kind of hat? Like Mickey ears?
Basically I'm trying to find out if these things are a little too hard to find, or even if I am being a little bit "random" as my kids say.

SBETigg
09-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Lynne, the Scotch Eggs are really good. I don't think they have them at a counter service place- but, you can sit in the pub area of the Rose and Crown and order one or two there without needing to have ADRs, and kids are allowed there. There's entertainment on some days (the Hat Lady, singing at the piano, fun).

Norway, yes, there's still a viking exhibit but it's not large. In the Maelstrom queue, there is a Viking with Mickey Ears- not too hard to find. Do you want a hint?

On the rest, I am not sure but maybe someone else knows.

Melanie
09-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Another question in regards to United Kingdom--is there a hopscotch game painted somewhere? I heard this somewhere....

It's not painted, it's done with chalk by the Cast Members. Whether it's done daily, I'm not sure.

disneymom2000
10-01-2010, 01:21 AM
In the lobby of Restaurant Marrakesh there are letters from George Washington and the Moroccan King.

Melanie
10-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Oh, and I just wanted to say that you've done some great research. These little things you've found are fun and interesting, and will make your trip that much better.

Have a great time at the most magical place on earth! :mickey:

LauraF
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Norway used have a tour through the Stave church about 10 years ago. I don't recall much on the raiders, but they spend a lot of time talking about the history. The guide I had was excellent, so maybe if you ask him or her, they can help.

As mentioned, the letters are in the lobby for Restuarant Marrkesh. The Mickey with horns is a neat find, and I'm sure the scotch egg could be ordered to go if you ask nicely.

Not sure exactly about Italy, but I think it might be near the fountain, near where Alfredo's di Roma used to be.

lynnek
10-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info on these!! I am planning an Around the World Adventure and Cuisine Challenge for my two older kids. There are lots of things to do, to find, to see and of course eat:) For the Italy one, they have to purchase a smoothie and say cheers in Italian in front of that sign--if they can find it and get a picture. If they can't find it, I'm sure they'll still do something similar. I've made it so it's an adventure, not a race--we do have a two yr old in tow, which can make everything go haywire. I know the Viking dude invaded France, so if I have to provide the info to keep this thing going, I will. As far as where is that lovely viking with the Mickey ears, yes, I would love to know:mickey: That way, if they are passing it, I can kind of notice it, although not known to be the most observant person...

SBETigg
10-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Lynne, in the big mural at the end of the line before boarding, there's a depiction of a viking ship (among many other images) and on that ship, one of the vikings is wearing Mickey ears. It really doesn't stand out if you're not looking, but if you're looking, you find it pretty easily. I think it's on the left side, kind of in the middle (but I could be wrong on that).

johnO
10-02-2010, 08:24 AM
For someone who hasnt been to WDW yet, Lynn sure seems to have captured the idea of hidden treasures known as "Disney Magic" that can be found throughout WDW.

My advice, go slow, take everything in so you can notice the "little things" throughout WDW.

lynnek
10-02-2010, 10:11 AM
John, I agree with the relax and enjoy all the magic! I like the approach of research to the best, and let things happen as they will. This World Showcase Adventure for the kids is a kind of way to put them in control of a vacation day, not let the world showcase become a shop til you drop thing and an interesting way to feed their brains. Over the summer, I like to continue their education with projects etc. Makes me really appreciate teachers by fall every year!! The kids divided up the world showcase countries and did some research. Dry things like where in the world they are located, government types etc but also things like find a recipe from that country, a famous person, find a time period from that countries' history in which you would like to live and take a current fantasy trip to that country--what would you do on that trip? So when we go to World Showcase, each child will be an"expert" on certain countries. I've arranged their adventure so they don't know it's from me, they do it to the best of their ability and a final treasure is delivered to our ADR that night--laynards for ea with World Showcase pins and watches--all wrapped by Disney:mickey:

iheartdisney
10-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I am planning an Around the World Adventure and Cuisine Challenge for my two older kids.

What a wonderful idea! Way to make the trip that much more fun!

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
10-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info on these!! I am planning an Around the World Adventure and Cuisine Challenge for my two older kids. There are lots of things to do, to find, to see and of course eat:)

I too LOVE this idea, I think it's VERY cool!

Melanie
10-07-2010, 08:30 AM
John, I agree with the relax and enjoy all the magic! I like the approach of research to the best, and let things happen as they will. This World Showcase Adventure for the kids is a kind of way to put them in control of a vacation day, not let the world showcase become a shop til you drop thing and an interesting way to feed their brains. Over the summer, I like to continue their education with projects etc. Makes me really appreciate teachers by fall every year!! The kids divided up the world showcase countries and did some research. Dry things like where in the world they are located, government types etc but also things like find a recipe from that country, a famous person, find a time period from that countries' history in which you would like to live and take a current fantasy trip to that country--what would you do on that trip? So when we go to World Showcase, each child will be an"expert" on certain countries. I've arranged their adventure so they don't know it's from me, they do it to the best of their ability and a final treasure is delivered to our ADR that night--laynards for ea with World Showcase pins and watches--all wrapped by Disney:mickey:

Very cool! :thumbsup: