PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do

caryrae
09-30-2010, 05:34 PM
I have been trying to think of something special to do for my wife's 40th birthday next year (Oct 2011). At first I was looking at a 6 day Caribbean cruise but I am now thinking of doing a 4 night 5 day stay at the Disney Aulani Resort in Hawaii (I would like to go longer but it is pricey but maybe I could add a day or 2 if later if work goes good). We have never done a cruise or been to Hawaii and I know she would love either because she as said for a while she would love to go to Hawaii or a cruise someday.

cather74
09-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Hawaii!!!!!!!!!! Most beautiful place ever and you will be the champion of husbands if you book it!!!!:number1:

BrerGnat
09-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Is it just you two, or are there kids too?

caryrae
09-30-2010, 07:36 PM
It is just the 2 of us, we have no kids. The only thing I question about the Aulani Resort is would it be worth it if we can only go for 4 nights 5 days but then again it would be something special and she would never suspect that as a destination because she as never heard of the Aulani Resort that I know of and it looks like a wonderful place.

dnickels
10-01-2010, 10:37 AM
What about booking a longer Hawaii stay at somewhere other than Aulani? I'm guessing that with it being a Disney resort there's also a Disney premium added for pricing so you could probably get comparable 7 days of accommodations elsewhere for 5 days at the Disney version.

c&d
10-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Hawaii, and maybe someplace other than the Disney resort. You can always go visit but I'd prefer more time on the island than staying on Disney property.

We lost about 1 1/2 days when we went to Maui, the first day we didn't even arrive until 7:00pm and the last day we spent packing and doing some last minute stuff before catching the flight home.

MNNHFLTX
10-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Both sound wonderful, but I know for myself that I would rather go to Hawaii! I think the suggestion to look at lodging other than the Disney resort is a good one. Much as I love Disney, there are some beautiful resorts over there--none cheap, but I'm sure you find some place nice that costs less than the Disney resort and allows you to stay longer. I would also look into vacation rentals. My sister and her husband found a wonderful place on Kauai--private patio, hammock, situated at the base of a mountain and within walking distance of a beach. Gorgeous! And I think it was only $1000 a week. :thumbsup:

caryrae
10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
I would also look into vacation rentals. My sister and her husband found a wonderful place on Kauai--private patio, hammock, situated at the base of a mountain and within walking distance of a beach. Gorgeous! And I think it was only $1000 a week. :thumbsup:

Can you send me a link to the vacation Rental?

Also can anyone tell me some good Resorts to look at and what area/Island would be the best to stay at. I kinda want this to be a more relaxing trip for her because most of our trips it seems are a lot of running and not as much relaxing. Of course I think we would still like to see some sites.

NewDVCowner
10-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Also can anyone tell me some good Resorts to look at and what area/Island would be the best to stay at. I kinda want this to be a more relaxing trip for her because most of our trips it seems are a lot of running and not as much relaxing. Of course I think we would still like to see some sites.

I'd recommend Kauai. I've been to Maui, Kauai and Oahu and Kauai was certainly the most 'laid back.' Maui is much more calm than Oahu and it does seem to have a few more things to do there, however I've always loved Kauai. It's a beautiful island with a lot of sceanry to see. Don't miss Waimea Canyon. Breathtaking!

BrerGnat
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I'd second Kauai if you want to "relax" mostly. I've not been to Hawaii personally, but DH went to Waikiki Beach for a few days once and HATED it (they stopped there for R&R during his first overseas deployment). He said if he ever goes back to Hawaii, he'd like to go to a more secluded and scenic location.

If you choose Hawaii, I'd try to make it a full week, if possible. The flights over there take up an entire day, and they only do "red eye" flights back to the mainland, for the most part, so you'll need a day when you get back to recuperate/rest before returning to work and such.

I'd also skip the Disney resort. As beautiful as it looks, there are MORE beautiful resorts on the islands, and more geared towards couples/romantic getaways.

MNNHFLTX
10-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I have to ask my sister, so give me a day or so to get back to you. :)

You can always see some of the main sites on Oahu for a day or two when you fly into Hawaii. Then take a regional plane out to whatever island you like to a more secluded area for a longer stay. That's what my sister and brother-in-law did.

faline
10-01-2010, 06:41 PM
We've been to Hawaii three times, twice in the last four years. On our last two trips, we spent a few days in Waikiki on Oahu and then moved over to Maui where we spent most of our time.

While the new Disney site sounds wonderful, I think we might still prefer to stay in Waikiki. I love being able to walk along the beach and select someplace along the way to dine. On both trips, we looked into renting a condo but ended up staying in traditional hotels. On the first one, we stayed one block back from the beach and, on the last trip, we stayed ocean front.

On both trips, we stayed in an ocean front condo on Maui. It was very relaxed an gorgeous and I hope to return again!

Zippy 1
10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I would definately vote for Kauai!!! We stayed in Princeville it was amazing!! You are right on Hanalei Bay and get to watch some of the most amazing surfers!! The island is very relaxing but has many sights to see if you want to keep busy. The Princeville treated us like royality. We were very pampered and loved every minute of it. The Napali coast is wortht he trip to visit it is so beautiful. We would love to go back!!

caryrae
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Well it looks like it will be a Cruise for her. She kinda made the decision for me without knowing it. She saw an ad or something on TV and said she would really love to do a Cruise someday and asked if we could sometime. Now I just need to choose a Cruise. I thought about a 6 day Caribbean cruise on Carnival but even though it's quite a bit more money a 7 day cruise with the DCL is very tempting. Is it worth the money to have a room with a verandah or is a room with the bog porthole window just as good?

Guess I will have to go to the DCL thread.

I priced the 2 cruise lines with similar rooms with balconies for 2 adults. The 7 day Disney cruise is around $3000 includes transfers from and to the airport. The 6 day Carnival cruise on the Freedom is half the price at $1550 and that includes transfers from and to the airport and pre-paid gratuities.

Disneyfirsttimer
10-15-2010, 03:26 PM
Disney is much more expensive and I have heard it it worth the money, but it is a lot more. I would try either the new Carnival Dream or Magic or Royal Caribbean's new ships - Oasis or Allure. They are amazing!

BrerGnat
10-15-2010, 03:59 PM
My vote would be one of the following:

Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, Oasis, or Allure

NCL's Epic of the Seas

Cinderelley
11-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Just to toss a thought out there - you can fly to Hawaii and then cruise around the islands.

Carnival has reputation for being a "party" type cruise line. If you guys aren't into that, you may want to consider another cruise line.

Disney is on the expensive side.

I really enjoy Royal Caribbean. Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas are the two newest/biggest ships right now, therefore they are also the most expensive. I really enjoy the Radiance class ships, of which Serenade of the Seas is one. Serenade of the Seas does the 7-night Southern Caribbean itinerary if you are interested in a Southern Caribbean cruise. I highly recommend a balcony room if you can afford it. If not, there is a lot of viewing available from all over the ship.

Disney Hungarian
11-23-2010, 09:40 PM
Have you looked at some of the train tours of Ireland. I would highly recommend them. Staying in a castle that has been converted into a bed and breakfast every night or other night while seeing the Irish countryside is quite simply amazing. Just a thought, since you are childless. It is truly amazing and a great way to connect on a trip. October is a little chilly and a great excuse to cozy by a fire in your castle room.

murphy1
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
My family lived in the Kailua/Lanikai ( prefer that side, since it is quieter and has the best beaches) and also near Kaimuki (My grandma is third generation Hawaiian). It is gorgeous! I would also stay somewhere cheaper and have a longer stay, we did two weeks and it took a couple of days to adjust to the time difference. We did Oahu, Kauai and Maui. I don't think you can go wrong anywhere there!