PDA

View Full Version : Which offsite hotel?

eeyorepoohfan
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
My sister just called to ask me to do some research for her on hotels by Disneyland. Even though she has frequented Disneyland, she needs some suggestions. It will be my sister, her DH, and her nearly 6 year old DD. She wants something close to the ENTRANCE to the parks. They will not be driving and paying to park, I don't believe they want to rely on the transportation system either. So based on cleanliness and proximity of the following hotels would you suggest? Or, if you've only stayed at one of the hotels, what did/didn't you like about it? They are not taking a stroller and it will be up to my sister or BIL to carry her if she gets too tired at the end of the night. Your quick input would be appreciated, they are needing to decide in a couple of days! They are looking at the Portofino (cheapest, but I believe it's the furtherst), Stovall's Inn (Best Western I believe), and the Carosel Inn. Please also let me know if you needed to pay to park at the hotel as well. Thank you in advance!

Disney4us2
09-27-2010, 06:57 PM
It is not one of the hotels you mentioned, or on Disney's good neighbor hotels. The Park Vue Inn is directly across the street from the DLR. I have stayed there several times with my DD. She loved the bunk bed room the best. We had that room twice. It is not fancy, but very nice. There is a microwave and fridge in the rooms as well. They have free parking (if they are driving in) and had in the past free continental breakfast. When we stay in Anaheim, this is my hotel of choice (if not staying on Disney property).

eeyorepoohfan
09-27-2010, 07:43 PM
Thank you Marci! I will pass this info on to my sister! I've read really good reviews about it!

If anyone else has any more insight to the above properties, please let me know that as well!

NewDVCowner
09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
A couple of months ago I stayed in the Tropicana Inn which is also pretty much across from the park enterance. The rooms were a good size and there was a fridge. Free parking and a continental breakfast. (the breakfast wasn't great, basically danishes and coffee - anything else you needed to pay for). The one draw back to it was that it's a very deep hotel. It seemed like the distance from the front of the hotel to our room in the back was as far as it was from the park enterance! Overall I'd recommend it - especially if she puts in a request to be closer to the front. The back was very quiet, though.

Another thing to mention - there is an IHOP right across from the park enterance that is very easy and open 24 hours. It's super fast to leave the park and get a lower cost meal there rather than spending buco dollars on the park food.

tinkwest
09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
We found the Candy Cane Inn very charming. It is close enough to walk but also offers its own shuttle.

I've stayed at the Tropicana and it was fine. Very close to park entrance. Nothing fancy.

Carousel Inn was ok as well. I was there almost 7 years ago and I remember it felt like it needed some refurbishing.

eeyorepoohfan
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
I've heard good things about the Candy Cane Inn! I will pass that on to my sister as well.

Just to warn anyone looking to book at the Carousel Inn this year, I've heard that they are under massive renovations right now. And they started mandatory valet parking at $9 per day, you do not have the option to self-park. And, due to the construction, parking is very limited. Their pool is also closed until the end of the year, at least. You can use a "sister" resort pool, but have to rely on transportation to get there and back. I'm sure once they finish the renovations it will be nice, but right now I understand that it is a mess and very loud and dusty during the day.

Thank you all for your input so far! If anyone else has anything else to add, please feel free to let me know! I believe my sister will be booking in the next couple of days.

eeyorepoohfan
10-01-2010, 01:20 PM
My sister booked the Ayres Anaheim and got a rediculously good rate! Expedia was running a 24 hour deal. They got the room for $83 a night! They will try out the ART , since it will just cost them $9 for the family. If they really don't like it after the first day, they will drive and park. Thank you all for the input! They go in December and I will try to report back how they liked this hotel.

AZ Disney
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I'd like to reccomend Hampton Inn & Suites, Garden Grove in the Bucca de Peppo parking lot. It doesn't meet your requirements exactly but this is a really great hotel. Hot Breakfast, grab and go snack bags and the ART shuttle picks up in the parking lot.

We've stayed here many times now and the prices vary quite a bit, but our most recent stay was $87 for a King Bed, plus the little extra room for kids (bean bags, tv, and some fun little roll out furniture for them to sleep too.) The room also had a microwave and small fridge. We were there for only one night and we all pooped out before the fireworks. Much to my surprise we were relaxing in the room and had a beautiful view of the fireworks.

CaptSmee
10-11-2010, 03:42 PM
I just stayed at the Ramada Plaza Inn on Katella Ave, about 2 blocks from the entrance (almost the same at the Portofino). I absolutely loved it for being a tad removed from the hustle & bustle of Harbor Drive. I did not have a car, I took a shuttle bus to the hotel then hoofed it to Disney which took me about 15-20 mins. I got a great rate on Expedia for $82 a night which included a hot/cold breakfast buffet which was very good as well. I would definitely stay here again.

Candy Cane Inn is another very popular place that is in a great location and has it's own shuttle bus as well (which isn't really needed except for when your tired at the end of the day maybe). I was also intrigued by the Castle Inn because it's rooms seemed a little more removed from the main strip.

I've read that a lot of the places on Harbor Drive are very noisy & I can see why with how close the street they are and how busy it is.

Good luck deciding on a place to stay and have fun! :thumbsup: