PDA

View Full Version : Our Summer Celebration, Day 8, Part 2: Singing in the Rain!

darthmacho
09-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Date: August 22, 2010

Date: August 22, 2010

The Cast:
DM: Me, Darth Macho, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
DW: Dear Wife, The Queen, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
DD1: Princess, 9yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (That she'll remember. She was just 2yo on her actual first visit.)
DD2: Princess, 6yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (She was born mysteriously 9 months after our last visit…)

Cut!

As we were leaving RnR, and unfortunate thing happened, as we ran into the most belligerent and annoying CM we ever encountered at WDW. There was a bottleneck of people in the long narrow exit queue of RnR as people were waiting out the rain. It was quite crowded in the small area, and apparently before we arrived, the CM was having trouble with keeping order and he was raising his voice to people, telling them to either exit, move to the side, or head back to the store. While I understand what must have been a frustrating moment for him, he was clearly overreacting and being belligerent. He walked up the aisle, pointing at people and saying, "you", "you, "you", and "you" "either move to the side or go back into the store! Don't make me have to say it again!" The problem I had with that was that he pointed at my two daughters, who were out in the aisle a bit because they needed room to don their ponchos, not to mention we had just gotten there, and the fact that they were little girls! Now again, I don't even think the CM was focused on such details, but I didn't care. I was furious that this man had spoken to my daughters that way, when clearly they were not misbehaving in any way. If this was any other place other than WDW, I would have exchanged heated words, or perhaps worse with this man. Thankfully I could see the situation for what it was, a blowhard in a panic because he couldn't maintain order in his own house, so I ignored him and helped my girls on with their ponchos so that we could get as far away from him as possible. I have to admit, I gave him a little shoulder as we passed him to exit. He seemed too distracted to have noticed. Soon, we were out in the storm.

When it Rains it Pours!

In retrospect, we should have retreated back into the store, as it was raining so heavily that by the time we got to the bathrooms halfway down Sunset, the street was so filled with puddles that our shoes and socks were soaked! We were also stuck under an alcove for a good half hour waiting for the rain to just slow a bit. Our only option was to shop some more, but of course the stores were jam-packed with people escaping the rain. Thankfully, my nerves were calmed when I spent a good deal of time with DD2 as she looked carefully at toys in one of the stores. It was such a cute moment, because she was checking out these small, plastic princess dolls with changeable clothes, and she picked up each one and inspected it carefully and thoroughly with such seriousness. Normally impatient to move on to the next thing, I stood there and just watched her, and enjoyed every second of it. After all, it was still raining outside.

When the rain finally subsided, DW and the girls had and donned flip-flops, but I was left to endure wet socks, and to add to the day's downturn, we found out that the last showing of Indy, Motor Cars, and Backlot were all shut down for the day, so we weren't going to get to see any of them. I suggested another go at ToT, since RnR was not an option because of a long line, but only DD1 wanted to ride. We split up, and I took her while DW and DD2 shopped. When we met up, I saw that DD2 had picked up two of those princess toys, a Minnie Mouse and a Cinderella. I was very happy to see that she had gotten them because she obviously really liked them, but perhaps needed more time to decide which one. She even used her own money that she had brought with her. So cute.

A Little Bit of Luck

Well, it was getting late so we decided to find something to eat, but couldn't decide where. I hadn't made plans to do the Fantasmic dinner thing, and we were still exhausted from two late nights in a row, it was for the best. I decided to try SciFi Dine in to see if they had an opening, and we got very lucky that there was just a cancellation. The CM gave us an official ADR for about 40 minutes later, so we rode Star Tours again while we waited. We came back, and really enjoyed our meal. DW and I had dined there before on our honeymoon, and we thought it was fun, so we were glad the kids got to see it. We all got a kick out of the movie clips, and the indoor nighttime atmosphere was very cozy. The kids sat in the front of the car, and DW and I in the middle. Our waitress was nice enough, perhaps above average for this trip, and the food was good, though I was not taking notes at this point since I was just so tired. I do recall having the BLT soup, which was good, and help warm my soggy feet. LOL

After the meal we headed for the exit, enjoying DHS lit up at night, and we took some nice photos. We bolted for the exit before Fantasmic got over because we didn't want to get caught up in that crowd, especially after missing the show. Luckily, we made it back to the resort and crashed, wanting to get some rest, because the next day would be the last full day of our 2010 WDW trip. I was a little sad at that thought, but it was hard to complain since we had already experienced so much magic over the past 8 days, and were sooooooo very tired.

Looking forward to writing about: Day 9: One Last Romp In the Magic Kingdom!

T-Belle
09-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Kudo's to you for keeping your cool with the angry CM! I don't know if I would have been able to.

cather74
09-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I remember being in highschool and actually being scared because we got stuck in that tunnel with tons of other people who just stood there and we couldn't get out. I am not clausterphobic but even I started to panic. You'd think if this has been a problem for that long during the rain, they would've come up with a better system rather than having someone yell at kids.:confused:

lynnek
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Just wanted to let you know, I have so much enjoyed your trip report. I am new to Intercot, to posting online in general and am pleased to have found this site. I have been lurking, I think you call it, for a little bit now. Wow, what info you all have!! Questions I didn't know I even had have been answered! We will be going to WDW in Nov for the first time, although not new to Disney--we did a 2 week repositioning cruise, followed Katrina in. I do feel I getting better prepared so keep the trip report coming!!

faline
09-27-2010, 06:36 PM
We once had a similar experience coming off It's A Small World into an extremely heavy rainstorm. We stepped to the side but paused near the exit for a moment as we needed to pull out some protection for the expensive cameras we were carrying. While we trying to insure that the equipment was protected, a cast member was screaming at us that we needed to move or she would call someone and have us thrown out of the park?!

Sorry the rain ruined your plans to attend some of the shows but you got the extra treat of dining at the Sci Fi without expecting to do so!

yjgirl32
09-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Your reports have helped me get thru these last couple of days before our trip. I have enjoyed them a lot! Thanks.

Pop Centurion
09-27-2010, 07:50 PM
It's good that you kept your cool but the shoulder thing has me laughing because I totally would have done the same.

RedSoxFan
09-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Nice story of your DD and the princess toys. Glad she bought a couple. Nice day despite the rain and rude CM.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-28-2010, 09:43 AM
thanks for the great reports:thumbsup:

clausjo
09-28-2010, 11:36 AM
My daughter loves those little princess toys and puts so much thought into which she'll get next. She's on the hunt for Tiana now. I hope your daughter enjoys them as much as mine does.

princessgirls
09-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the report Darth...in spite of the rain and the rudeness, it was a good day.

Julie:mickey:

KylesMom
09-30-2010, 04:54 PM
What an annoyance - first the rain, then the obnoxious CM. That's one thing DH and I both commented on this last trip - we didn't see a freaked & yelling CM once, when we've seen it repeatedly the past few years. I'm sorry you had to. Nice job of keeping your cool when they couldn't keep theirs.

Glad you enjoyed your dinner at Sci-Fi - although we go for lunch, it's usually a good experience for us all. I agree, next time you need another day to tour DHS!

Don't talk about "last day" yet! :( Hoping you get a good nights' sleep & Day 9 is a good one! :mickey:

Joannelet
09-30-2010, 06:59 PM
I loved your moment you had watching your daughter pick out the toy she wanted. :)
Sooo cute!!!
Great report despite the rain and the angry CM.