PDA

View Full Version : Our Honeymoon Trip (Sept 8th - DAY 5)

Pop Centurion
09-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Sorry for the time between reports. I'm still dealing with the laptop issues :thedolls:

Overslept a bit & had to rush in order to make our 10:20 Breakfast at the Tusker House. The bus to AK was packed so we stood until the stop at Blizzard Beach. We met a nice family from Mississippi who noticed our just married pins & started a conversation. The husband cracked marriage jokes & had me laughing the whole time.
Once at AK we arrived at Tusker House the CM accidentally hit a wrong key when checking our ressie & deleted it so she just brought us back & told the other CM's what happened & made us wait there while they recovered it.
Breakfast was great as usual but my stomach started half way into it. Some chocolate milk helped but not completely. I still managed 3 trips to the buffet though :)
After breakfast we got on Kilimanjaro Safari with only a 20 min wait. Our driver wasn't that great at all. We kept seeing the vehicle in front of us because they would stop at the animals & give people great photo ops. But our driver just seemed to slow down for a second then zoom on making it hard to get any good shots on the move. As a photographer I always look forward to this ride but this was a real bummer. Oh well, there's always time to do it again.
After that we walked the Pangani trail but the animal weren't very active which surprised me being that it was still kinda early.
Headed back to Camp Minnie Mickey for some photos with the characters & to watch Festival of the Lion King. This was another thing to do on our list of things we haven't seen in a long time. Encountered a rude couple in our row who refused to move to the end of the row when a CM asked them to. They replied that why should they be punished for arriving early & have to move from their spot. I can understand their point but rules are rules & they tell you that each time you enter a show. Sometimes I think Disney is too lenient with their rules though because the CM just left to avoid conflict. For them being that rude they should have been told to either move to the end of the row or leave. Just my opinion though.
Next was ITTBAB. The Hopper animatronic was not working at all. He never popped up & I think some new guests were confused because they heard his voice but didn't see anything. The end was hilarious though because when people started jumping when the bugs exited she was looking around & said "what's going on" then suddenly she felt it & jumped out of her seat screaming. Hahaha.
Next was Dinosaur. We had a family in front of and their poor daughter was terrified to get on & wanted to get out of the line. Her 2 sisters were teasing her calling her a sissy & the parents didn't say too much. I felt so bad for her because I have issues with certain rides as well. Thankfully they let her leave the line & wait for them but not without the sisters teasing her more as she left making her feel worse. I wanted to leave the line myself just to tell her it's okay to be scared & that even I'm afraid of certain rides but it's not really my place to do that & probably would have made the family uneasy having a stranger talking to their daughter.
knowing the ride I always put my hands on my face & make a terrifying expression for the picture. The people sitting in the same car saw it & said wow you were really scared. LOL! I just explained it was for fun.
Wandered around the park & shops for the rest of the time until it got close for our ressies for Yak & Yeti. We had 30 mins & the line for EE was only 5 mins. I did this for the first time last year finally facing my fear & it was a little more extreme than I expected & said that was enough but my wife kept insisting I get on so I gave in. My stomach was in knots throughout the line because I tend to make myself nervous for no reason. Got on the ride & started up the big hill but wouldn't look around, just kept my head back in the seat. :blush: At least i rode it before so I knew exactly what to expect so I did have fun. The only parts that get me is when you go backwards uphill. It definitely makes my stomach drop. Also the final hill when you exit the mountain is great but when you curve back upwards gets me. Anyway, I think I'll be okay with it from now on.
Dinner at the Yak & Yeti was awesome (for me at least)
We had a nice window seat upstairs & our server was great.
I had the Miso Salmon which was excellent but my wife wasn't crazy about her Bourbon Chicken. She said it didn't taste like the kind we get at home which I agree with but I don't think it was bad. I think her biggest issue was that the chicken was battered & fried whereas at home it's uncoated & grilled.
For desert she had the cheesecake & I got the fried wantons which should be considered illegal. OMG, those things were so good i could eat them all day. definitely in my top 5 deserts at WDW. maybe even top 3.
Surprisingly my stomach didn't act up at all which was good because it really allowed me to enjoy my first experience at Yak & Yeti. Could be because I actually left my stomach back on EE. LOL!
We took a nice stroll around the park during EMH while i tried to talk my wife into getting on KRR. She didn't want to get soaked but I said we can leave right after so we didn't have to walk around all soggy.
It said 20 min wait but we pretty much got right on. There was a little boy on the ride with us who was hilarious. Going up the hill the geyser sent water right down the back of my wife & I. She laughed but said she'll get me for that. We got pretty wet on the drop but not completely soaked so I talked her into getting on again. We ended up with half of the same people on the ride from before so we all joked about who would get soaked. The little boy said he wanted to get soaked since he didn't last time. He was so obnoxious but in a funny way. Now we all know that whoever is facing backwards down the hill gets the worse so we pointed at the two young girls sitting there & laughed as we dropped. My wife & I were on the side & got soaked as well this time.
Decided to give another go with the same people again. We were slightly to the side & backwards so we got soaked again but worse this time. That water doesn't taste good at all. Hahaha.
As we headed out of the park it was beginning to get dark so the Tree of Life was lit up & looked cool. I wanted to get a pic of it by the photo pass photog but my wife said we looked a mess from being soaked. I said that was all the more reason to get the pic so we can laugh & remember the moment. So we did.
Bus stop back to Pop was crowded & her feet were killing her so we decided to wait for the next bus so she didn't have to stand. The bus driver was yelling at the people on the bus to move back & make room for others even though it was pretty full. Then he said there was room for us but she said her feet hurt & we'd wait for the next. To our surprise he got a little rude & said "Well, you can either stand on this bus or stand there waiting for the next one, what's the difference" as if we were inconveniencing him or something.
So he yelled "is there anyone who can give up a seat for this woman?" which a man did so the bus driver said "thank you sir, you're a gentleman & a scholar" which was a little odd (the scholar part)
My wife thanked the guy who gave up the seat & said he didn't have to do that since we could have waited for the next bus. We wanted to say something to the bus driver but figured it's best just to let it go.
Boy was that drive back to the resort freezing though.
Back at the resort we went straight to our room to change out of our wet clothes & shower before heading down to the food court for a late bite to eat. The next day was an off day for the parks so we were in no hurry to get to bed even though we were exhausted. We just took our time eating in front of one of the TV's watching Phineas & Ferb. I also tried one of the Apple Blossom's with ice cream & it was delicious.

faline
09-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Seems like Hopper has been out of commission for a while - he wasn't working way back in May when we were there!

I'm not sure exactly where the phrase "a gentleman and a scholar" comes from but it is a pretty old one. That was an odd interchange with the bus driver.

RedSoxFan
09-25-2010, 08:46 PM
A great day at AK. I never knew the Tree of Life lit up. I'll have to stay later in December to see it. Sounds cool.

Pop Centurion
09-26-2010, 12:35 AM
A great day at AK. I never knew the Tree of Life lit up. I'll have to stay later in December to see it. Sounds cool.
I guess I should have been more specific. The tree itself wasn't lit up, it had some sort of spot lights aimed at it similar to SSE in Epcot.

Linda,
I was thrown by the scholar part of that comment. Don't know what it had to do with the guy offering his seat unless it was meant to suggest my wife wasn't too smart for wanting to stand & wait rather than stand on the bus. Who knows.

T-Belle
09-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Another great report. If I counted correctly you did KRR 3 times! What fun. Sorry about the rude people at FOTLK. People who stop and sit in the middle of a row are one of my biggest pet peeves!:mad:

WDWdriver
09-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Not a perfect day, but you made the most of it. You were really pushing your luck by riding KRR three times!

"A gentleman and a scholar" is an expression that goes back decades. You will most often hear it said by seniors.

Pop Centurion
09-26-2010, 08:04 PM
No way! 3 times on KRR wasn't pushing it at all. I would have kept going if it wasn't for my wife saying she had enough. As much as she didn't want to get soaked, we laughed our butts off each time. We had so much fun.

yjgirl32
09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Great report. Thanks for sharing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Good report...and I'm 40 and have heard the gentleman and scholar saying before:mickey:

KylesMom
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Great day at AK . . . with the exception of the jokers who didn't get the message to move to the end of the row during FotLK. I agree, the photopass when you're soaked is a must!

Sounds like a little R&R is in order for tomorrow, as you two have been going, going, going! :mickey:

brivers222
10-01-2010, 12:52 PM
You got me curious about that phrase... I use it sometimes as well as the phrase, "now thats classy and sexy"

so i decided to look it up

Seems to me it comes from a old ideal of what a "perfect man" is supposed to be: "a perfect man is one who "combine[s] the qualities of saint, scholar, and gentleman" this a long running definition

To be born a gentleman is good; to have studied to become a scholar, likewise. To be both a gentleman *and* a scholar was, for centuries, an acknowledged ideal.

From the Robert Burns' poem 'Twa Dogs'..."His locked, letter’d, braw brass collar
Shew’d him the gentleman an’ scholar;
But though he was o’ high degree,
The fient a pride, nae pride had he"

It also comes from the novel, Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger. In it, the main character, Holden Caulfield says to one of his roommates, "You're a real prince. You are a gentlemen and a scholar, kid."