PDA

View Full Version : Standard view at AKL

disneymom15
09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Staying at AKL for the first time in Dec. We've booked a standard view room. Was looking at WDW site and they list standard view as roof top view or parking lot view. Looks like for $10 more per night we can get a pool view. What are the chances we could get a better view without doing the upgrade to pool view? Should I just pay the extra money for a nicer view. If you've stayed in a standard view, did you wish you would have upgraded?

BigRedDad
09-21-2010, 02:01 PM
If you want a view, you should pay for it. If your trip is dependent on a view, you could be disappointed. However, all views are not the same. We had a Savannah View room that overlooked dirt and mud. Animals were visible at very sporadic and short time periods. To see them, you would have to skip going to a park. I found using your feet to see animals was the best bet at AKL.

Gator
09-21-2010, 07:08 PM
I had a standard view on the last trip. It had a balcony view of the underground parking and the pool in the distance. I'm sure a view is nice, but the kids were able to see animals through giant windows along the hall to the lobby. Plus, the ambience is still a lot better than some of the other Deluxes.

Kenny1113
09-22-2010, 06:30 AM
We had a standard view of the parking lot and did not regret it one bit. Yes being able to look out our window to see animals would have been nice, but we were able to walk a short distance and see them on the savannah. I love AKL and cannot wait to stay there again, parking lot view or not. :)

RedSoxFan
09-22-2010, 08:58 AM
We had a pool view room which was very nice. And outside our door was a huge picture window for viewing the animals. Worked well for us. And should we stay there again, we would probably still only get the pool view.

Mousemates
09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
to me their is not a whole lot of difference (ambiance wise) between a standard view and a pool view room at the AKL...if i had the funds and was going to pay for an upgrade it would be to a Savannah view room...otherwise I would just stay with what I already had and if I got lucky, that would just be an added bonus.

MCeee
09-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Just to add... while the Savannah view rooms are nice, there are many common areas around the resort to view the animals. We had pool view and enjoyed it very much... we have had savannah and enjoyed it very much. But after our trip was over (both times) we said that it would be fine to have NOT had those rooms and just view the animals from Arusha Rock and other viewing spots. Of course, we leave our room pretty early and don't usually return until after 9 p.m. or so.

megustamex
09-23-2010, 11:41 AM
One of my favorite views that we had was a parking lot view in a standard room. I loved it because a)the balcony was very private (no one is hanging out in the parking lot) and b)we had INCREDIBLE Florida sunset views. The pool view is pretty, but it can be a little loud at times (not bad though) and people are always around, so no privacy. We never spend any time in the room anyway. AKL is all about walking the grounds and seeing the animals and the beautiful decor.

Disnamic Duo
09-23-2010, 02:34 PM
We stayed at AKL last year and booked a standard view to save money (it's quite a bit less than Savannah view, as you probably know). We were perfectly prepared to have the standard view, but would certainly have preferred the Savannah view. When we arrived, I asked if a Savannah view room was available, and how much extra would it cost (making sure they knew I wasn't expecting it for free). We got upgraded for free! We had a great room, and saw MANY animals at all times of day. Again, we were prepared to stay in the standard view room if no upgrade was available, and we were also prepared to pay for an upgrade. We ended up with the best of both worlds.

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
When you did that, did you do online check-in or not?

We are staying in a studio Savannah view but, my parents are in a standard. We would like to upgrade them to a savannah view but, not until we get there! We're on the waitlist for it but, it's only 21 days away and odds are looking slim!

We stayed at AKL last year and booked a standard view to save money (it's quite a bit less than Savannah view, as you probably know). We were perfectly prepared to have the standard view, but would certainly have preferred the Savannah view. When we arrived, I asked if a Savannah view room was available, and how much extra would it cost (making sure they knew I wasn't expecting it for free). We got upgraded for free! We had a great room, and saw MANY animals at all times of day. Again, we were prepared to stay in the standard view room if no upgrade was available, and we were also prepared to pay for an upgrade. We ended up with the best of both worlds.

Disnamic Duo
09-24-2010, 03:18 PM
When you did that, did you do online check-in or not?

We are staying in a studio Savannah view but, my parents are in a standard. We would like to upgrade them to a savannah view but, not until we get there! We're on the waitlist for it but, it's only 21 days away and odds are looking slim!

No online check-in. We waited until we got there.

In my dreams
09-25-2010, 03:42 PM
If you look at a resort map you can see that there would be a considerable variance in the # of rooms between Standard and Pool rooms AND Savannah view. ALOT more Savannah views.
If you want a quaranteed "view" then you have to be willing to pay up front for it. I noticed more people get upgrded at AKL than anywhere else. I don't doubt that many times all the pool room views are booked on Check-in day and that's why so many people get "upgraded" because ther are more savannah rooms empty and available.

TammiMcMan
09-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Years ago, it was very common to be upgraded at the AKL. The number of standard view rooms was much less than the other views, so they'd move people and re-open those rooms for new bookings. Since the DVC construction though, upgrades aren't quite as frequent. A lot of rooms were taken out of inventory and turned into DVC and those rooms that were on the concierge level, had to be reassigned to the savannah view on the 4th floor.

I'd definitely suggest booking the view you want, otherwise, it's simply going to be luck of the draw.

mrmcgiv
09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
We were there in Aug amd overlooked aruska savannah. I agree that we woudl have needed to skip the parks to appreciate the animals. They were sporatic and our view was sparse greenery with dirt/mud. A pool view would have been better. To go on your balcony with that view was DRAB.

If you want a view, you should pay for it. If your trip is dependent on a view, you could be disappointed. However, all views are not the same. We had a Savannah View room that overlooked dirt and mud. Animals were visible at very sporadic and short time periods. To see them, you would have to skip going to a park. I found using your feet to see animals was the best bet at AKL.

MNNHFLTX
09-27-2010, 10:01 AM
While I'm not picky about the room view from most of the resorts, AKL is one place that we have always paid extra for a savannah view. Yes, there are many viewing places in the resort to watch the animals from, but being able to sit on your balcony in the morning or evening and watch zebras, giraffes, ankole cattle, etc., graze right in front of you--it transports you to a whole new dimension. That said, if you are concerned that you might not like your standard view, I would second the suggestion of paying for the view you want. Of course, you can always take a chance that an upgrade will be offered to you, but that can be an iffy proposition, even to pool view.