PDA

View Full Version : The Mara at AKL

disneymom15
09-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Staying at AKL for the first time in Dec. Was looking at dining options and see that Mara is listed as "fast casual dining". Is it similar to the food courts? Are there lots of options? What are your thoughts on this one? Any item thats a "must try".

lawgirl
09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
We usually stay at the AKL, and we absolutely love the Mara. We always eat there several times a day. The breakfast platters are great (I usually get the kids bfast and its plenty big for me).

We love everything there, from the caesar salads, bacon cheesburgers, tandoori pizza, African stew...everything is excellent, especially considering its counter service /fast food. We also love the zebra domes, which are usually in the refrigerated section.

Also, if you are a wine lover, be sure to check out the awesome wines from the Anura vineyard. They are my favorite, and I always stock up when we are in WDW.

diz_girl
09-21-2010, 04:40 PM
The Mara is a quick service restaurant. Just be warned - Deluxe resorts do not have food courts, as they have (normally) between 2 and 5 TS restaurants at the resort to fill demand.

LandFan
09-21-2010, 04:47 PM
The Mara is great! We love the african stew they serve in a bread bowl - yummy:thumbsup: It is one of our favorite food courts/quick service places.

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Can't wait to try the Mara for "real" not just for zebra domes on a resort hop visit.

23 days!!!! :cloud9:

Gator
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
For a resort counter service, it's very good. It has some of the popular pics like chicken nuggets and burgers. But the best meal there is the African Stew that comes in a bread bowl. Very Yummy! And the Zebra Domes are the most interesting desert I've had. Hard to explain them, there's just really good.

MinnieMommie
09-21-2010, 07:25 PM
We love the Mara - it is my favorite CS. Basically everything is good and you will find something you like for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. DH likes the Breakfast Bounty Platter and the Fried Shrimp Platter, I love the soup (really reasonably priced) and Zebra domes. My kids like the food options too and my daughter thinks the bakery items are just great! :thumbsup:

Niecyboo
09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Another Mara fan here. I have been known to stop by AKL even when I am staying somewhere else, just for Mara. My favorite would be the Butternut Squash soup. They serve it at Bomas sometimes too, and I have even had a CM from Bomas bring me over a cup from Mara when I mentioned how much I love it.

DizneyRox
09-22-2010, 07:07 AM
.... the Zebra Domes are the most interesting desert I've had. Hard to explain them, there's just really good.
The best explanation I can think of is a chocolaty tiramisu.

For us, the Mara is passable. Not our favorite CS location by a long shot, but you can usually find something to eat. I don't care for the flat breads at all, but breakfast is decent. It's hard to screw up bacon, eggs, and waffles.

MinnieMommie
09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
My favorite would be the Butternut Squash soup.

I just love that soup! Another vote for the Butternut Squash soup. :thumbsup: