PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Updating The Great Movie RIde

MaxPower
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
The Great Movie Ride has been around for over twenty years.

If you could remove one section of the ride and replace it with something new, which section would you choose to remove and how would you update it?

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I said Raiders of the Lost Ark section since there is already a whole attraction dedicated to this movie:mickey:

Drachengeist
09-21-2010, 12:41 PM
This was a tough choice. Originally I thought the Tarzan section since most of the riders dont know from Johnny Wiesmuller, it takes up both sides of the car and is a longish section to give Tarzan room to swing. But I kind of feel that the "horror section is kind of a waste. I know what the ride designers were going for but it only provides a minimal transition from Indy to the "temple of the jewel" and really would not be missed. Problem is the whole flow. You would then have to shift Indy down to where horror is now or provide some kind of other segue to bridge it.

Of course the BIG discussion point after you ease one of the animatronic dioramas out to pasture is....what movie or collection of movies would you put IN?

Ian
09-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Honestly, I'd do away with the Fantasia section. Not because I don't think it belongs in the ride, but because it's so disappointingly executed.

The only Disney movie in the place and all it gets is a shoddy little movie screen with some lame graphics around it? Horrible.

I'd replace it with a full blown, audio animatronic recreation of that scene from the movie. The AA brooms dance around ... the AA Mickey swoops his arm down and real water flies up from the stage ... it could have been so cool!

SelfmadeWade
09-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I agree with Ian.

I would take out the Fantasia section and part of the Casablanca section and put in a comedies section:

You could put in any of the following:

The Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields, Bob Hope, Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Will Ferrell, Robin Williams. The list goes on and on.

Gator
09-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Take out that horrible Alien section. There's got to be something a little more up to date. All of the other sections feature movies and characters that have stood the test of time. But not ALIEN.

How about a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory section. The train could ride through the Chocolate River and Waterfall section. The "Pure Imagination" song could be playing, and they could pump chocolate scents into the area. Then they could sell giant Wonka Bars right outside the exit.

#1donaldfan
09-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I voted to Tarzan....seeing him "fly" through the air is just way behind with modern technology !! It's just too cheezy, but I love the ride !!! :mickey:

azcavalier
09-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Take out that horrible Alien section. There's got to be something a little more up to date. All of the other sections feature movies and characters that have stood the test of time. But not ALIEN.

How about a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory section. The train could ride through the Chocolate River and Waterfall section. The "Pure Imagination" song could be playing, and they could pump chocolate scents into the area. Then they could sell giant Wonka Bars right outside the exit.

You could take out ALIEN, but you would need to replace it with something Sci-Fi, not Willy Wonka. Each scene is supposed to represent a Genre, and without ALIEN, there is no Sci-Fi section represented at all.

Though I would also argue that ALIEN has stood the test of time. It has spawned a number of movies, and Aliens is one of the best sequels of all time. The question now is, what Sci-Fi movie would replace it? Star Trek? Star Wars? A cantina scene, maybe?

Laughin' place
09-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I dont think Tarzan, or that genre (if there really is one), is worthy of inclusion. Too many other major genres that deserve a scene (war films, action/adventure, comedy, sports films)

Ian
09-22-2010, 01:44 PM
How about a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory section. The train could ride through the Chocolate River and Waterfall section. The "Pure Imagination" song could be playing, and they could pump chocolate scents into the area. Then they could sell giant Wonka Bars right outside the exit.I have no idea as far as the licensing aspects of this, but who cares ... I'd love a WW&tCF section!

I've often thought that a Willy Wonka theme park could make a mint.

Imagineer1981
09-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I had a tough choice voting...i was like..hmm just 1??? I would remove Tarzan, Fantasia, Alien, Casablanca.

I personally would like to see it updated to be more general. Don't have an "aliens" section, but have a Sci-Fi section, like they did with Gangsters and Western. Make it more generic with big stars of the screen so it can be easily updated and keep the same feeling. I love that Mary Poppins gets her own section but maybe it should be combined with a few other films of that time. The only one I'd say to keep alone is Wizard of Oz because of its importance.

darthmacho
09-22-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm good with the Aliens scene changing to a Star Wars Cantina scene, lol, but I know that would never happen. :mickey:

I'd settle for one of those blue drinks from the movie...:)

disneymom2000
09-22-2010, 09:24 PM
I didn't like the fact that Tarzan is a stand alone movie that really didn't have much impact on the movie world like the specific genres of western, gangster etc and they put a whole section for him to swing. It just seems like a waste of space.

bouncer
09-23-2010, 07:50 AM
I'm good with the Aliens scene changing to a Star Wars Cantina scene, lol, but I know that would never happen. :mickey:

I'd settle for one of those blue drinks from the movie...:)

:ditto: I love this ride but think that the ALIEN scene is really bad. Her eyes...ugh. Def needs to be refreshed. SW would be perfect. Lots of good ideas for the whole ride on here. Hope Disney is eavesdropping. ;)

LauraByTheSea
09-23-2010, 07:59 AM
I voted to Tarzan....seeing him "fly" through the air is just way behind with modern technology !! It's just too cheezy, but I love the ride !!! :mickey:

Although I definitely agree with that, it is very cheesy, I say Fantasia. That section is lacking SO much. For one of Disney's "signature" movies, I would think they'd do more there...

BrerSchultzy
09-23-2010, 08:33 AM
I voted gangster, because quite frankly, every time we've gone on the GMR over the past five years, we've had a CM with a very bad gangster accent take over our car...very bad. Cringe-worthy bad. Real bad. Bad.

Here's what my wife and I think. Scrap the whole thing, and theme it to Disney's live action movies. Picture it: You travel through the Black Hole, you escape from Witch Mountain, you ride through a mine with the Apple Dumplin' Gang...and all while riding in a Gnome Mobile.

And (here's the cost-cutting genius of it), you'd really only have to make Tommy Kirk and Fred MacMurray AA's and duplicate them over and over and over again.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-23-2010, 08:44 AM
I picked Gangster section-not because I want it to go away (I actually really love this ride) but only because I want to see more enthusiastic actors! The last half dozen times I've been on the ride, the cast members were just rolling through the lines-not really having fun with it or anything. I just want to see more enthusiasm!

CU Tiger
09-23-2010, 11:12 AM
No more gangstars.:mickey:

Ian
09-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I picked Gangster section-not because I want it to go away (I actually really love this ride) but only because I want to see more enthusiastic actors! The last half dozen times I've been on the ride, the cast members were just rolling through the lines-not really having fun with it or anything. I just want to see more enthusiasm!Yeah, they are bad lately. REALLY bad. A lot don't even try to get into character. They just roll through the script as fast as they can and then sit down and stare.

That ride's become a disappointment lately due to that.

ASweetLov
09-23-2010, 11:18 AM
I agree with Ian

TikiLounger
09-23-2010, 11:24 AM
I picked Tarzan, but it was a tough decison. It went neck and neck with the Gangster section for a while. I have to say this, too. I actually LIKE the Alien section...and the movie. I like it because it's not really a Sci Fi movie that is really just "let's wow everyone with our special effects"...it's more of a thriller which just happens to be set in outer space.

SelfmadeWade
09-24-2010, 12:41 PM
:ditto: I love this ride but think that the ALIEN scene is really bad. Her eyes...ugh. Def needs to be refreshed.

I agree. I've always thought that the Sigourney Weaver eyes were way off. It's one of the poorer representations in any Disney attraction.

GrumpyFan
09-24-2010, 04:31 PM
I chose "Alien section" because I think it's the least of a "classic" compared to the rest. Overall though, the whole attraction could use some work to truly make it "Great". Some of the scenes in there are starting to become ancient and unidentifiable for a lot of the younger generation. I think with all the technology they now have, it could easily be updated in such a way that it would provide a somewhat unique experience each time.

crltkcagle
09-24-2010, 07:55 PM
I voted for Tarzan. That part is just kind of boring.

CaptSmee
09-24-2010, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't be too upset if they updated/changed the Tarzan or Alien segments.

Mousemates
09-24-2010, 10:28 PM
The big alien section has always seemed an odd addition to me...a lot of space dedicated to a not quite epic motion picture.

kemps@wdw
09-24-2010, 11:43 PM

:ditto: Chuck the Alien thing...not in the realm of a "Great Movei"

Daisy'sMom
09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
:ditto: Chuck the Alien thing...not in the realm of a "Great Movei"

I vote Alien. You can't touch the others, they are masterpieces.:mickey:

johnO
09-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Honestly, I'd do away with the Fantasia section. Not because I don't think it belongs in the ride, but because it's so disappointingly executed.

The only Disney movie in the place and all it gets is a shoddy little movie screen with some lame graphics around it? Horrible.

I'd replace it with a full blown, audio animatronic recreation of that scene from the movie. The AA brooms dance around ... the AA Mickey swoops his arm down and real water flies up from the stage ... it could have been so cool!
Ian I agree. Its pretty said.

IloveDisney71
09-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I didn't vote because I couldn't decide on just one section. I love the concept of the ride but I think the entire ride is in need of an update. Reading through the other posts I agree that Tarzan is not a movie that has its own genre, Alien takes up too large of a section of the ride, & Fantasia's section should have been much more elaborate. I also think all the the sets could use updating. They just seem kind of flat, emotionless, and boring. This could really be a great ride if it had more of those Disney "magical" touches. Better lighting, effects, moition, etc...

Harriet
09-26-2010, 04:13 PM

I totally agree this is the one section that they should have gone all out like they did with Wizard of Oz. I also feel the Alien section very poorly excuited. Need to update the Horror section to something like Fankenstein ,Wofeman and Dragula thouse are movies of the past.

mickeyhunter
09-26-2010, 07:10 PM
I vote for replacing Alien!

plutosnana
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
The Alien part of the ride..scary for me. And the movie is stupid.. I usually am sitting in the middle and i hate it when the alien goes RIGHT in front of you! IT'S WAY TO SCARY!

:goofy:

BandMan
09-27-2010, 05:04 PM
:haha:
I voted gangster, because quite frankly, every time we've gone on the GMR over the past five years, we've had a CM with a very bad gangster accent take over our car...very bad. Cringe-worthy bad. Real bad. Bad.

Don't sugarcoat it. Let us know how you really feel!

I vote Tarzan - it's just not a genre of movie that people today relate to. You can catch Casablance or Wiz of Oz all the time, but honestly, when was the last time you watched a Tarzan film?

And I COMPLETELY agree that Fantasia is lame. Lame, lame, lame. To be in the action would have been soooo cool.