PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Theme "Let the Memories Begin"

Dyanna
09-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I received an email with some info stating that next years theme may be called "Let the Memories Begin" Has anyone else heard this too? What do you think they will do for this? Lets hear your feedback!

Stu29573
09-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Well, it's better than "Celebrate...Please Fill In the Blank"...That one was pretty much on the low end of the creativity scale...

vicster
09-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Are they tying that in with WDWs 40th anniversary? Haven't heard about any big celebration.

DizneyRox
09-21-2010, 12:22 PM
It's definitely better than: "Give me your wallet, this is a stick up!" :D

BrerGnat
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
What do I think they will do with this?

Raise the price of the Photopass CD...

WDWCrazyKaren
09-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, another fairly safe, cheap and imagination-free promotion. What won't they think of next?

GothMickey
09-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Hmmm, another fairly safe, cheap and imagination-free promotion. What won't they think of next?

They won't think about celebrating the 40th.

GothMickey
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Are they tying that in with WDWs 40th anniversary? Haven't heard about any big celebration.

Don't expect a 40th celebration. You may be highly disappointed. Of course if they announce a big 40th celebration, I'll be shocked, HAPPY, but shocked.

r4kids
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHA! Thanks I needed that today!!

Gator
09-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Let the Memories Begin - you know, like "Remember when we all had enough money to go to WDW?"

Buttercup
09-21-2010, 11:50 PM
I sense a lot of photo pass people jumping in front of me as I'm trying to walk around the park...

TheVBs
09-22-2010, 06:42 AM
Don't really care what next year's theme is, I'm just so happy we get to go! :mickey:

Cinderelley
09-22-2010, 07:55 AM
I hope they celebrate the 40th. I wanna celebrate my 40th there with them. :party: If not, I'll do a cruise.

johnO
09-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Time sure flies........

jonsmom
09-22-2010, 08:27 AM

Thanks-needed a laugh this morning!

andywicks
09-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Shirley - they must be doing something for WDW's 40th anniversary? :mickey::number1::thedolls:

WDWCrazyKaren
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Shirley - they must be doing something for WDW's 40th anniversary? :mickey::number1::thedolls:

And stop calling me "Shirley"!

(Sorry, someone had to do it)

MNDisney Dad
09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
And stop calling me "Shirley"!

(Sorry, someone had to do it)

Beat me to it!!:thedolls:

Belster
09-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Beat me to it!!:thedolls:

Alert dumb blonde here...I was actually saying to myself, "Who is Shirley?" hahahahahaha

Laughin' place
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
It does seem bland and sort of uninspiring, doesnt it?
The lawyer in me wants to try to advocate for it, so here's my best shot...
It's a look forward instead of looking back take on our emotional tie to the World. Think of all the new memories you can make.
As you enter the gates, fond memories that will last a lifetime are just around the corner, waiting to be made. WDW isnt just nostalgia and the great times you have had. The magic is here and new memories await.
Seriously, Im much better in court.
I can easily see the negative side on this one -
that they are trading on past glories and old memories, and that for so many devoted fans, this year cant possibly compare to the World they enjoyed in the past.

BrerGnat
09-22-2010, 01:42 PM
I can easily see the negative side on this one -
that they are trading on past glories and old memories, and that for so many devoted fans, this year cant possibly compare to the World they enjoyed in the past.

Yep, I thought about this too. It can go down a road that Disney PROBABLY doesn't want us to go down...

"Remember when cast members were ALL friendly and helpful?"

"Remember when the dining plan used to include tips?"

"Remember when resort rooms used to be affordable?"

"Remember when Disney ACTUALLY celebrated milestones, like the 10th, 15th, 20th, 25th anniversaries?"

"Remember when Main Street WASN'T a themed strip mall?"

I could go on...

Gregandmel
09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Let the Memories Begin - you know, like "Remember when we all had enough money to go to WDW?"

Thanks for that! :rotfl:

Imagineer1981
09-22-2010, 02:01 PM
How about the days when you could go without a theme? Just disney...no "celebrate" or whatever. It made the milestones like 15,20,25 years all magical and IMPORTANT. Now we are saying we'd be shocked if they do the 40th...what!!! its the 40th!!! thats important

4myprincesses
09-22-2010, 02:09 PM
just so long as there isn't a giant castle cake...

I do remember the non-theme days and honestly would not miss them one bit. We did the give-a-day promo and had a wonderful time volunteering at our zoo for a day. Other than that, the promos and themes have not really inspired us to do much of anything different from simply enjoying WDW.

DizneyRox
09-22-2010, 02:47 PM
How about the days when you could go without a theme? Just disney...no "celebrate" or whatever.
But then what do you put on the shirts and hats to sell in the stores?

mom2mickeyfan
09-22-2010, 02:50 PM
just so long as there isn't a giant castle cake...

I do remember the non-theme days and honestly would not miss them one bit. We did the give-a-day promo and had a wonderful time volunteering at our zoo for a day. Other than that, the promos and themes have not really inspired us to do much of anything different from simply enjoying WDW.

I agree. We haven't really paid any attention to the themes until last year. We also enjoyed volunteering and it was our first time doing anything like that. We used ours for fast passes and even though we went during a busy time, we had one of the best times and got to ride more than ever. Our family was hoping the promo would be done again this year! :(

GothMickey
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
How about the days when you could go without a theme? Just disney...no "celebrate" or whatever. It made the milestones like 15,20,25 years all magical and IMPORTANT. Now we are saying we'd be shocked if they do the 40th...what!!! its the 40th!!! thats important

In my opinion, the 40th is not as important as say the 50th. To me, the 40th means really nothing. Plus, I understand Disney is looking to move away from celebrating an anniversary every 5 years. So don't expect a 40th celebration. However, expect a 50th. And in my opinion, this is the way they should go.

They can have a little ceremony and a 1 day celebration on October 1, 2011. After that, no 40th celebration at all. Just go about the business of getting FLE completed. Then, in 10 years, have a 16 month-long 50th celebration.

Scar
09-22-2010, 03:28 PM
In my opinion, the 40th is not as important as say the 50th. To me, the 40th means really nothing. Plus, I understand Disney is looking to move away from celebrating an anniversary every 5 years. So don't expect a 40th celebration. However, expect a 50th. And in my opinion, this is the way they should go.Makes perfect sense to me.

I've never once booked a trip based on a celebration (unless you count the F&W Festival.) I go when I want to go, and if there happens to be something going on that interests me (like the millennium building in World Showcase in 2000,) then I enjoy it. If not... so be it.

GothMickey
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Makes perfect sense to me.

I've never once booked a trip based on a celebration (unless you count the F&W Festival.) I go when I want to go, and if there happens to be something going on that interests me (like the millennium building in World Showcase in 2000,) then I enjoy it. If not... so be it.

F&W is great! Wan't to book for Star Wars Weekend? Go ahead. Want to head down for Halloween and Christmas/Holiday season? Be my guest. Want to "Celebrate" You? Me? Today? Tomorrow? Your job? No thanks. Does not entice me to come down to WDW. Stick with the seasonal celebrations/festivities. Celebrate MAJOR milestones, like the 25th, Walt's 100 birthday, WDW's 50th. But stop the celebrations of the 40th, 45th. These are not real anniversaries and do not need to be celebrated.

The funny thing is, most people complain about Disney doing these celebrations as a money grab. Then the same people want Disney to celebrate a non-major anniversary, the 40th, which, if Disney did, would be nothing but a money grab, suckering people into buying 40th anniversary merchandise.

Daisy'sMom
09-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Disney just tweeted that they had a special annoucement tomorrow about the parks. Wonder if this is it?:mickey:

disneymom2000
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Maybe they will bring back some old attractions that people have missed since they have been discontinued like Body Wars or Horizons. Maybe they will have a better special on the photo pass - instead of free dining you can get a free photo pass cd.

Disney4us2
09-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I can't wait to see what it is. I wish they would bring back the Year of a Million Dreams. I loved that promotion.

Fastpasssteve
09-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Note to self: Forward message about recession being over to Disney. It's time they amped-up their year's theme.

DisnIse
09-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I wonder what Disneyworld will do for their midlife crisis now that it's 40.....
Somehow Alien Encounter / Stitch's Great Escape seems like enough of a "What was I thinking?" to last a Disneyworld lifetime!

Dyanna
09-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Maybe they will bring back some old attractions that people have missed since they have been discontinued like Body Wars or Horizons. Maybe they will have a better special on the photo pass - instead of free dining you can get a free photo pass cd.

I like your thinking. When you book a ressie you should have a choice of choosing either free dinning or a free photopass cd or maybe even the photopass photo album. Since we are a family who does not utilize free dinning it would be nice to have the option of another free perk in its place!

Mousefever
09-23-2010, 10:11 AM
I can't wait to see what it is. I wish they would bring back the Year of a Million Dreams. I loved that promotion.

I totally agree! I was so excited when our train from BTM exited and we were waylaid by the Dream Team! Dream fast passes for everyone! That was such a fun promotion because everyone in the parks had a chance to receive a special surprise.

Amy

Cinderelley
09-24-2010, 07:42 AM
I am rather disappointed.

Scar
09-24-2010, 09:53 AM
When you book a ressie you should have a choice of choosing either free dinning or a free photopass cd or maybe even the photopass photo album. Since we are a family who does not utilize free dinning it would be nice to have the option of another free perk in its place!You do. Typically a 30-40% room discount is offered to guests who don't use free dining. That's worth more to me than free dining.

MarkC
09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
In fairness to Disney, there are only so many things you can do with a marketing campaign every year. And like another poster noted, I really didn't pay attention to them in the past. We've never scheduled a trip based on the theme or a particular event going on. We just go when we need a vacation, or in this case a 'Disney fix'.

I did like the Give a day- get a day because that was money in my pocket and we had a good time volunteering, but the theme really doesn't hold any special meaning to me.

crltkcagle
09-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I couldn't agree more. I hated the whole celebrate theme. And the awful balloons all over the monorail. It just reminded me of the 80's for some reason.

Well, it's better than "Celebrate...Please Fill In the Blank"...That one was pretty much on the low end of the creativity scale...

disneymom2000
09-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Well - I guess this explains a bit more. It does sound like they may have put some thought into it.

"Disney guests will become the stars of a nightly spectacular when photos taken in the park during the day become projections on Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World Resort or “it’s a small world” at Disneyland Resort. This new experience will celebrate the family vacation memories created in Disney theme parks every day. Disney guests will also begin starring on television this week as part of the new “Let the Memories Begin” campaign. For the first time, Disney Parks is featuring the home videos and pictures of guests in television ads and other marketing that will allow an audience of millions to share moments."

Cinderelley
09-25-2010, 05:48 AM
I guess I would have liked it better if it was memories of the last 40 years. :D

LVT
09-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Did I understand "become projections on Cinderella Castle " this to mean the castle will be covered by photo projections part of the time? I hope not, at least not in lieu of color changing or during fireworks.

Mousefever
09-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Am I being cynical if I'm wondering if this promotion is anything but a huge racket for photopass?

Amy

Belster
09-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I really like this theme!! I took a look at the website and just looking at what they had up there brought tears to my eyes. I think that I will enjoy watching everyones memories projected on the castle...it is a wonderful way to show that in the end...we are all the same. :mickey: