PDA

View Full Version : Measure Height of Child with Shoes On or Off?

dntccc
09-20-2010, 09:55 AM
For the 4 theme parks, does WDW measure chldren's height with their shoes on or off?

BigRedDad
09-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Shoes on unless they have on platform shoes.

Strmchsr
09-20-2010, 10:24 AM
:ditto: I've seen them make the child take the shoes off only once or twice in all of our visits and both times were because of abnormally thick soles on the shoes (like 3-4" in height).

cfoshe
09-20-2010, 12:36 PM
also, it has happend to us, we had one that just made it on the outside measure, and I mean just made it, but when measured inside she just didn't make it. And yes, they did not allow her to ride. several reason this could happen, but no go is no go even though she passed outside. My point is if it is really really close, they my not pass inside so be ready for that melt down.

BrerSchultzy
09-20-2010, 02:26 PM
One more little trick...

Have your child practice standing up straight with their head up. Lots of parents get upset because they know their kid is tall enough, but the child slouches when they get measured (because they're tired, not used to being measured, etc).

Gator
09-28-2010, 01:58 PM
also, it has happend to us, we had one that just made it on the outside measure, and I mean just made it, but when measured inside she just didn't make it. And yes, they did not allow her to ride. several .

This happened to me and my DD on Splash Mountain. They cleared her at the fastpass gate and then sent us on our way right when we were getting on. And I let the CM know what I thought of her. Didn't even care if she's just "doing her job". My daughter had been wanting to ride it, and they wouldn't let her. Then the next year when we went, it was closed for refurb. Made me glad I took the time to vent the first time around.

BigRedDad
09-28-2010, 03:05 PM
This happened to me and my DD on Splash Mountain. They cleared her at the fastpass gate and then sent us on our way right when we were getting on. And I let the CM know what I thought of her. Didn't even care if she's just "doing her job". My daughter had been wanting to ride it, and they wouldn't let her. Then the next year when we went, it was closed for refurb. Made me glad I took the time to vent the first time around.

This is the worst reaction anyone can have. How can you be mad at a person doing what they are told to do. I agree that there should be a standard practice at the entrance of any ride. This would require that someone be at the entrance at all times while the people governing the ride have to go on faith that the child was checked. Its unfortunate. I bet if your child got injured on Splash Mountain, you would be on the phone with an attorney ready to file suit.

Your child was not permitted to ride because she did not meet the safety height requirements. There is no one to be made at but yourself. I am sorry your child's safety is of lower concern than your enjoyment of a ride.

WDWdriver
09-28-2010, 10:00 PM

Sometimes a second check is necessary. And if a mistake was made during the first check, then it should be corrected. The obvious intent is to be sure the child is tall enough to ride safely. "Wanting to ride it" is not sufficient reason to overlook a height restriction. I have been on the receiving end of anger and threats from guests because of my call on a height restriction. That goes with the job. But if it is not safe for my kids and grand kids to ride, then it's not safe for your kids either.

#1donaldfan
09-29-2010, 11:57 AM
I totally agree about checking more than once...my goodness do people want their child to get hurt in the name of fun ???

BigRedDad
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I think WDW could do a much better job on the height restrictions than they do. This is how I would manage it prior to entering a park:

1. Stamps, wristbands, or what ever will not work. Parents would find a way to cheat to get their child on. These people are the same ones that would sue WDW because their child was injured because they cheated to get them on.

2. First requirement would be that the child must have a ticket to enter the park. In other words, 3 years old or older.

3. At the park entrance, there is a special line entrance for people with potential height restrictions (55" and shorter). They enter this line and get measured barefoot. The measurement is then tied to their Park Entrance Ticket and Finger Print for the duration of their stay.

4. At each ride that has a height restriction, there is a ticket and finger print reader for any person under 55".

5. They slide their ticket in, put their finger down, and the ticket determines whether they ride it.

Can this process be cheated? Yes. However, WDW just needs to have someone at the entrance of the these rides at all times. It may be slower for families to get through the entrance, but it prevents safety issues.

K8screen
09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Could they not make the measure outside the ride a tiny bit HIGHER than the one inside, so if there is an error, it wont happen at the last minute?

rrfox0417
09-29-2010, 03:26 PM
My son is 48" and I have not had this problem yet, but I know at Six Flags on the very first 48" ride they measured him and placed a wristband on him so that he did not need to be measured the rest of the day. This may be a first. It might be something Disney can learn from Six Flags. I never thought that would be possible. :mickey:

BigRedDad
09-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Anyone with a 6th grade education can cheat wristband. If parents want to cheat it and endanger their child, they can easily do it with wristbands, stamps, etc.

Daisy'sMom
09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
Why on earth would a parent want to risk injury to their child? The height requirement is for their safety, not to be mean. And to yell at someone that is just doing their job? Protecting your child. And being glad you did because it is closed for refurb? How sad.

SandmanGStefani24
09-29-2010, 10:28 PM
This is the worst reaction anyone can have. How can you be mad at a person doing what they are told to do. I agree that there should be a standard practice at the entrance of any ride. This would require that someone be at the entrance at all times while the people governing the ride have to go on faith that the child was checked. Its unfortunate. I bet if your child got injured on Splash Mountain, you would be on the phone with an attorney ready to file suit.

Your child was not permitted to ride because she did not meet the safety height requirements. There is no one to be made at but yourself. I am sorry your child's safety is of lower concern than your enjoyment of a ride.

:clappy::exactly:
CMs do so much for us to make our trip amazing, so I hate to hear when people think it's ok to be rude to them. Granted, there shouldn't be people allowed to get that far and THEN be told they can't ride. That still doesn't excuse mistreating CMs.

JPL
09-29-2010, 10:35 PM
One more little trick...

Have your child practice standing up straight with their head up. Lots of parents get upset because they know their kid is tall enough, but the child slouches when they get measured (because they're tired, not used to being measured, etc).

Just to add to this comment

Make sure they understand they are trying to be abov the mark and not trying to fit under the measuring stick. In August my cousin's son ws trying to fit under it! Even though he was tall enough to ride the CMs were saying he was too short and we couldn't figure it out until he said "Mommy I don't understand I fit under the stick why couldn't I ride?" nce we explained it to him we had no problems:thumbsup:

lynnek
09-30-2010, 06:39 AM
We have been practicing height measuring with our 2.5 yr old!! We haven't been to WDW before and going to the Dr. they still tried to measure her by laying her down, marking on the examining table. We got them to measure her standing up and after reading threads here, have been "practicing this concept with her--she is squirmy, lots of poofy curly hair and would be so thrilled to be "under" that measuring thing.

K8screen
09-30-2010, 08:34 AM
Kids who try to crouch below the line may not be misunderstanding how the system works. They may understand fine,but actually not want to go on the ride. Many kids feel pressured by parents and siblings to go on everything, even if it scares the socks off them. These children find the height barriers a very good excuse for not riding, which I think is partly the reason for the restrictions being there, as well, of course, as the safety factor.
My DD2, who is brave as a lion and into all sorts of adventure sports and huge roller coasters now, told me only recently, to my horror, that her biggest memory of her first trip to Orlando was the relief she felt when she was too small to go on something she thought her older brother and sister would laugh at her for "chickening out" of.

lovinmesomedisney
09-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Wow, some real irate opinions on this. We just got back from a trip and we had one child who was definitely 48" and had been going on rides all week. One cast member, at the Rock N Roller Coaster, decided he had to be a jerk, and kept pushing the kids head down and insisting he was not tall enough. I know MOST cast members are there doing there job and do an excellent one, but there are rude cast members just as well as there are rude guests. This guy was just being a JERK, and the other cast member there, told him that the boy was tall enough in fact, and to let him go. I definitely think they need some system where they get checked at the front gate, and then wear a wrist band or something. By the way, this was my first trip where I had to tell several cast members to have a Magical Day, because they were obviously NOT! I hate to take away from the good ones, but it appears there are quite a few now who really seem to not want to be where they are.

brivers222
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
I guess you kind of have to imagine you being the CM that allows the under sized child on the ride and then listening in horror as others explain that a child was hurt on the ride... Then you get called into the "uppers" office and get reemed for not following safety guidlines.

Personally, if your child is of the age but right on the cusp of the height requirement... postpone trip until you are sure they are over. a year or few months of growth spurt never hurts anyone.

princessgirls
09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Personally, I think Disney has the most liberal height requirements of any park I have been too. 40 inches is golden for the "little ones".

I have been there, done that, didn't venture off to the parks until both girls were 40". Lucky for me my husband is tall, and at 3 and 4 years of age, we had achieved that!!

Julie:mickey:

disneymom2000
10-03-2010, 05:13 PM
:ditto: I've seen them make the child take the shoes off only once or twice in all of our visits and both times were because of abnormally thick soles on the shoes (like 3-4" in height).

How does a kiddo that young walk in shoes like that?? It seems crazy with all the walking you have to do at the parks.:confused:

Strmchsr
10-04-2010, 07:59 AM
How does a kiddo that young walk in shoes like that?? It seems crazy with all the walking you have to do at the parks.:confused:

Beats me. But, then, I've seen some women walking around the parks in shoes (even heels) that made me think the same thing. :D

Thumper_ehhhhh
10-04-2010, 09:52 AM
To be SAFE measure your kid at home with shoes off. Check online to see what rides they cannot go on. If they dont meet the height requirement do go to that ride. If you kid just meets the required heights i agree practice practice practice and explain you need to stretch tall. Above all if your kid dont meet the height requirement dont try to make them higher. Dont endanger your kid its not worth it.

Disney Doll
10-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Could they not make the measure outside the ride a tiny bit HIGHER than the one inside, so if there is an error, it wont happen at the last minute?

I like this idea! Saves from disappointment when a kid thinks they are allowed to ride and then finds out they aren't. Personally if my kid is border line I expect it to go either way and don't get upset if they call it under. There's always next time.

MNNHFLTX
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
For kids whose height is borderline, I think we have to be proactive with them and talk to them about the fact that they will be measured, sometimes not just once but twice. And that if they're not tall enough with either of those measurements that they will not be able to go on the ride on this trip. And in reality, if that does happen, how we handle it as parents can help set the tone for the experience. If we are understanding (of their disappointment), but try to keep things upbeat, it will not be so traumatic. But if we get angry or upset, it will only make the situation worse. We are giving them the skills on how to handle disappointment, not just at WDW, but for the rest of their lives.

To the OP--sorry for the thread going off on a tangent. As you can see, the subject of height restrictions can by a touchy one. But you are absolutely right to prepare ahead of time as far what to expect. :mickey:

WDWFRK
10-07-2010, 02:50 PM
We went to Cedar Point in Ohio this summer with a large group of people, including kids of various ages and heights.

We had the option of making one stop at a guest relation-type center where all of the kids were measured and then given a colored wristband that corresponded with a height requirement cutoff.

I can't tell you how convenient this option was to have as we never had to get measured again and everyone knew up front exactly what they would be able to go on or not. I also think they took a more accurate measurement in this way.

Melanie
10-07-2010, 02:54 PM
We had the option of making one stop at a guest relation-type center where all of the kids were measured and then given a colored wristband that corresponded with a height requirement cutoff.

I can't tell you how convenient this option was to have as we never had to get measured again and everyone knew up front exactly what they would be able to go on or not. I also think they took a more accurate measurement in this way.

They did test a program like this at Disneyland a few years back. Apparently it didn't go well enough to implement it permanantly.

Goes4FastPass
10-07-2010, 04:48 PM
"... they will be measured, sometimes not just once but twice..
This is what frets me. Explain to a young child that the measurement may be OK at the attracton entrance but there may be another measurement again after s/he waits until it's time to ride and that measurement may be not OK?

If a child is "just tall enough" at the queue entrance but the CM at the loading area decides, "Nah, not quite." do we really think the height restriction is so exact that 44" is safe and 43.87" is unsafe?

MNNHFLTX
10-07-2010, 09:09 PM
This is what frets me. Explain to a young child that the measurement may be OK at the attracton entrance but there may be another measurement again after s/he waits until it's time to ride and that measurement may be not OK?

If a child is "just tall enough" at the queue entrance but the CM at the loading area decides, "Nah, not quite." do we really think the height restriction is so exact that 44" is safe and 43.87" is unsafe?I hear what you are saying and no, maybe the safety factor is not that stringent. But rules are rules (to quote my mom) and things like that happen and that's why I think we need to prepare our kids ahead of time. We had that exact same situation with Space Mountain when my son was little--he made the height clearance at the entrance but not at the loading point. Was it disappointing for him? Of course. Did it ruin our day? No--we talked to him ahead of time that it was a borderline thing and that we would have to respect what the CM's said.

PinKy
10-11-2010, 02:30 PM

Yikes! That sounds so scary! Thankfully the castmember had the guts to stand up for what was right. The restrictions (and the cast members) are there to prevent children from being injured or worse on rides that they may not be big enough to ride safely. Better to be safe and save the ride for another trip than to take a risk like that with a child.

My kids aren't tall enough to ride many of the 'coaster type rides either, but if I were to weasle their way on there somehow and something happened to them, I'm just not sure I'd ever forgive myself. Dramatic - yes - but also true.

Goes4FastPass
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Yikes! ... but if I were to weasle their way ...

I would never advise anyone to try to "weasle" around any height restrictions.

(Actually, I think WDW's height rules are very fair, particularly when you consider details like they go so far as give KRR a 40" minimum because they have have a special seat on boats with a little person extra L shaped bar)

And I've had children measured and been told "too short" and that's then end of it. Amen. To argue is not being on vacation, it's being Scrooge McParent and upsetting a child and hassling a CM who's simply trying to work for a paycheck.

But I've also had times when the child was measured and remeasured and the CM called another CM over, "What do you think?" while the child anxiously waited for the verdict.

I simply want to measure, ride if tall enough, then go have a Mickey ice cream sandwich - That's not weasle-ing.

Gator
10-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Better to be safe and save the ride for another trip than to take a risk like that with a child.

I guess you guys aren't hearing the point. If a child is cleared once, then she's starts jumping with glee because she can ride, and then a CM says she's not tall enough (even though her head was touching the bottom of the height sign), I think I've got every right to put my finger in her face. It wasn't a safety issue. If your' 40 inches and not 40 1/4 inches, how does that change the child's safety on a ride?

And besides that, it's Splash Mountain. We're not talking Thunder or Space here. There's not even lap bars for crying out loud. She got cleared for Soarin' and Star Tours, but not Splash, the one she'd been really wanting to ride. If I thought it wasn't safe, I wouldn't have taken her on it. For instance, Tower of Terror and Dinosaur are 40 inch rides, but there's no way she'd go on those - too dangerous and fast. So please don't insult my parenthood. I take my kids across the country to see their dreams come true, not have some teenager having a bad day squash them.

Goes4FastPass
10-11-2010, 03:11 PM
OK,

I'm probably not saying what I think clearly.

I think

Some parents act weasley and they shouldn't.

Some CMs are too quick to wave a refusal with a terse "just doing my job"

Melanie
10-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I guess you guys aren't hearing the point. If a child is cleared once, then she's starts jumping with glee because she can ride, and then a CM says she's not tall enough (even though her head was touching the bottom of the height sign), I think I've got every right to put my finger in her face.

To me, that's something you've got to prepare your child for as a parent. You never know who or what you're going to encounter, so the best thing to do is talk to/prepare your child and avoid the disappointment. Is this idealic? No. But definitely reality.

And no, I don't think there is ever a case where putting a finger in any CMs face is acceptable. One time while my sons were riding Primeval Whirl, I witnessed a dad going ballastic on a CM at the entrance who assured her that his daughter had ridden the day before. The girl was almost tall enough, but not quite. The CM stood her ground and the dad got so ugly it was embarrassing and a show. He kept coming back and coming back. A manager was called in, and he was ugly to her as well. He walked away, but finally he calmed down, came back and apologized. It was a bizarre scene, and certainly one that doesn't belong at WDW. I would hope that no one here would put any CM in that situation when they are just trying to enforce the rules and ensure the safety of your child.

Jeri
10-11-2010, 08:34 PM
We have always told our kids that they might be tall enough but we have to wait and see what the cast member says.
We tell them that whatever they say goes, and if they say no they aren't tall enough at anytime, then they don't ride. I just tell them that next time they can ride, and for now we will just go get an ice cream bar and ride something else.
Maybe we have been lucky, because neither of my kids have ever cried, thrown a fit or anything when turned away at either the entrance or right up to getting on the ride for not being tall enough.

MyDisneyworld
10-12-2010, 09:12 AM
We went to Cedar Point in Ohio this summer with a large group of people, including kids of various ages and heights.

This sounds like a great idea and very simple.

Daisy'sMom
10-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Rules are rules. The best parenting anyone can do is explain that they should obey someone's rules if they are on that someone's property. I certainly would not teach them that anger is acceptable behavior and that there is ever a reason to scream at someone for doing their job. Rudeness is never acceptable.
Splash Mountain might be a "tame" ride, but someone lost their life on that ride before.

Gator
10-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Splash Mountain might be a "tame" ride, but someone lost their life on that ride before.

Only because he made a very unsmart choice of stepping out of the log in the middle of the ride...and then got run over by another log. It had nothing to do with someone falling off on a drop or anything like that. I seriously doubt the engineers would build SM and have no restraints on the logs if it were remotely possible for someone big or small to fall out during the flumes.

Thumper_ehhhhh
10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Only because he made a very unsmart choice of stepping out of the log in the middle of the ride...and then got run over by another log. It had nothing to do with someone falling off on a drop or anything like that. I seriously doubt the engineers would build SM and have no restraints on the logs if it were remotely possible for someone big or small to fall out during the flumes.

you cant stop stupid huh

Ian
10-13-2010, 08:28 AM

I can't tell you how convenient this option was to have as we never had to get measured again and everyone knew up front exactly what they would be able to go on or not. I also think they took a more accurate measurement in this way.I've been saying for years that I don't understand why Disney doesn't do it this way.

It's a very simple and easy way to avoid hurt feelings and disappointment and also ease the burden on their cast. Honestly seems a bit lazy to me that they don't do it.

Daisy'sMom
10-13-2010, 04:22 PM
you cant stop stupid huh

You do know this person was a special needs person?
From what people are saying, they are installing lap bars in SM during the rehab.

Thumper_ehhhhh
10-13-2010, 07:26 PM
nope the first i heard of this was yesterday.

Coleby
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Just a thought, while Splash is a tame ride...I can see the cause for measuring.

Another thought, sometimes the ground that one is measured on is not smooth and level, so they do need to do two measurings just to make sure...just my :twocents:

SpecJoe Magic
10-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Something that I almost always think of when I see a topic on this subject is someone who is borderline tall enough to ride something. It's a medical fact that people are taller for a while following sleep because of the way that extended relaxation causes the body to stretch out enough to increase height by up to one inch. Then walking around throughout the day, along with the force of gravity, causes people to lose that temporary extra height. This means that some people could ride certain attractions during a short time period after they first awake from sleep but wouldn't be tall enough for those same attractions later in the day.