PDA

View Full Version : They Won't Remember

Disney Doll
09-19-2010, 07:20 AM
My son was 23 months on our last trip and here we are a full year later about to go back 1 month shy of his 3rd birthday. I've started packing and he asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm getting ready for Disney World. He asks about riding the tea cups and seeing the mouse. I tell him sure, we'll ride the tea cups and see Mickey. He says no the mouse that peeks on the tea cups. I didn't even remember that there is in fact a little mouse that peeks out of the tea kettle in the middle of the tea cup ride. We don't look at vacation photos or watch videos so the only explanation is that he remembered this detail that I myself had forgotten.

Now we'll have to make sure we squeeze in a tea cup ride before it closed for refurb.

2MuchWDFun
09-19-2010, 07:40 AM
How sweet! I love when that happens. It is amazing the little details they can remember and the things that are important to them that we would just walk by! Have fun on the teacups!

Belle_0717
09-19-2010, 07:50 AM
My nephew does the same thing. We are going down right after his 4th birthday. Of course he thinks we are staying at Bay Lake Towers b/c that is where we stayed last November (it was a fluke that it became available for our trip). He still remembers "blue 6" the bus stop at Saratoga Springs. He is very upset when we tell him we are staying at Old Key West - he argues that we are staying at Bay Lake Towers. Our only out with this is that they will be refurbishing the rooms to fix some minor problems - like the bathrooms not locking (his favorite thing was to open the door when Pop Pop was in the main bathroom).

He wants my girls to meet Mickey first. And I am sure he will remember how each one reacted. You never know what kids will come out with or what they remember.

jenperich
09-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Oh my gosh, that's SOO cute!! It IS so funny what children remember, and what we wouldn't even notice. I hope you, and he, enjoy those tea cups!

Ian
09-19-2010, 06:01 PM
That's too cute!

We have kind of a funny story from our family that's similar ...

DD was about 4 and we're sitting on the curb in Magic Kingdom getting ready for Spectromagic to start. I'm a huge Spectro fan and I remember the first time we took DD to see it very fondly. So I'm holding her in my lap and I say (in a very "this is a special Daddy/Daughter moment way), "Honey, do you remember the very first time we saw this parade together? We sat in the exact same spot and you sat on my lap the whole time and watched the parade."

She looks at me for a minute, clearly thinking about this long and hard. Then she goes, "No ... I don't remember that." Then there's this long pause and she looks down at the storm drain that's under where we're sitting and says, "I remember this grate."

So yeah ... we agree ... it's funny what kids remember!

BrerGnat
09-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh, kids remember some CRAZY things.

Our son remembered our hotel room number form the Grand Californian from our first family stay there when he was only just 3 years old. We returned last summer (he had just turned 5). When we got up the to Concierge Lounge to check in, they told us that our room wasn't ready yet. When they handed us the room keys, the space for "room number" was blank. I asked "what will our room number be". My SON answered "6108", because that was the number the LAST time we stayed there. The woman checking us in snapped her head over to him and had this look of utter shock on her face. She sharply said to me "how did he know that?" So, I said, "oh, that was our room number last time we stayed here." She replied "Well, that's your room number this time too!" :D DS was like, "I told you so." It was pretty funny.

celebrationasheley
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Getting ready for our trip and I am playing youtube videos of rides...well I was playing Soarin' and was about to turn it off, and my five yr old (last visited when he was three)
wait until the ball flys at us with a mickey on it! He truly is like his mommy! :mickey:

jenperich
09-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Our son remembered our hotel room number form the Grand Californian from our first family stay there when he was only just 3 years old. We returned last summer (he had just turned 5). When we got up the to Concierge Lounge to check in, they told us that our room wasn't ready yet. When they handed us the room keys, the space for "room number" was blank. I asked "what will our room number be". My SON answered "6108", because that was the number the LAST time we stayed there. The woman checking us in snapped her head over to him and had this look of utter shock on her face. She sharply said to me "how did he know that?" So, I said, "oh, that was our room number last time we stayed here." She replied "Well, that's your room number this time too!" :D DS was like, "I told you so." It was pretty funny.

Wow, that's unbelievable - both that he remembered from last time, and that you got the same room twice!

Disney Doll
09-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Love the stories, especially the storm grate! So funny!

Ian
09-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Love the stories, especially the storm grate! So funny!I actually took a picture of "The Grate" for posterity. :D

BrerGnat
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow, that's unbelievable - both that he remembered from last time, and that you got the same room twice!

I know! He thinks that is "our" room now. :D

Joannelet
09-20-2010, 11:29 AM
These stories are soo great!!! It is amazing what those little minds hold! :)

spoiledraf
09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
We're at Disney right now with my 2 1/2 year old and just rode the tea cups. He was pointing up saying Mickey. I never saw the mouse come up until he pointed it out.

ANG
09-21-2010, 07:33 AM
How sweet!

Gator
09-21-2010, 07:05 PM
I always have people telling me, "Oh, they'll never remember that trip." But it's all they've been talking about since they've been, and it's all they want to do. It's amazing how WDW impresses the little ones as much as the big ones.

pirateyankee80
09-21-2010, 07:16 PM
You never know what goes on in the head of a little one. In 2007 our young son was 6. We tried to explain to him what WDW was like before we went but knew he would be overwhelmed. On our last morning we were at the desk checking out and he put his head down and started crying. The girl behind the desk asked him what was wrong and he said he didn’t want to leave. At that moment I knew we hit a home run. Now we’re going back in a few weeks and now knows what to expect …. :thumbsup:

brownie
09-21-2010, 10:32 PM
They're always watching...

darthmacho
09-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Cool stories! I always say how my DD1 doesn't remember her first trip when she was just 2 1/2, and for the most part, she doesn't, but I know those memories are locked in there somewhere, and someday maybe she'll have a pleasant flashback or two. one sign that she remembers is her fondness for that parent trap, Dumbo. She insisted on riding it first this trip like she did when she was 2. Such nostalgia for a child! :mickey:

frozman
09-23-2010, 10:50 PM
I was 5-6 years old during my 1990 trip, during my 1997 trip I was 12-13.
I remember seeing a few things on that 97 trip and saying to myself, "I remember that", when it was something I hadn't thought about at all over the last 7 years. Examples:
The stage show with the stages that moved, to reveal another, then those stages removed for another scene (Indiana Jones Adventure)
On the 3rd lift of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, there's a continuation of the cave above you (it's made to look like the track broke), when I saw that, I remember that I thought "I wonder what's up there".
Furthermore at age 5-6 I can remember being totally grossed out about the concept of body wars.

The information in my signature comes not from my parents, but from memory, of course it's easy for anyone to remember what happened earlier this year, but I can remember vague details about those 3 trips from 1988-1990 when I was 3-6 years old.

For the first one, we were at some timeshare rental place I believe, it had yellow light bulbs and we took a bus there, stops were numbered.

The second one we stayed off site, at some motel (you entered from the outside), 3-4 levels and I think it a blue roof with white walls. There was also some place with simply a ferris wheel nearby.
As for the 1990 one we stayed at the Hilton originally, it was something having to do with my aunt getting the trip but not being able to go, and she gave it to us. I remember that we sat at the same table for breakfast a couple days in a row, of course I commented. My parents then decided they wanted to stay longer so we went to the swan.