PDA

View Full Version : What made you decide yes DVC

kwhitt3202
09-17-2010, 05:51 PM
My family go to WDW at least once a year for the last 9yrs. For the last 5 have been in either Poly or Grang Floridian. We looked at DVC last trip and still are weighing the pros and cons. So.....
What made you say YES to DVC?

Disney4us2
09-17-2010, 06:05 PM
I have been looking into DVC for a couple of years. I am now in the position to be able to get a small buy in interest. Last Saturday while at Disneyland, I became a DVC member:mickey:

I chose the Grand Californian Villas since they have the lowest maintenance fees. I got 100 points which is enough for the moment. My whole monthly payment which includes the maint. fee is $186.00. Now I can stay at deluxe resorts:mickey: I really wanted to go with AKL, may see my guide tomorrow to see if I can cancel my GCV for AKL. I am still in the 10 day cancel period.

Good luck with your decision.

Tinkerfreak
09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
We too have been thinking about DVC for 5 years or so and always seem to decide against it. We have been every year at least once for the past 8 years and usually stay deluxe but have stayed in two rooms at a moderate resort the last couple of times. We do plan to keep going but with two teenagers our flexability just isn't what it was in the past. I kind of wish we had bought years ago because we probably could have saved money but we are just never able to commit. I think it always sounds good until we factor in the maintainence fees and it makes it less of a savings. If we lived closer and could take frequent shorter trips we would definately do it but airfare is expensive for us.
How many people have bought in and found it was less than what they had hoped for?

Ian
09-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Well we knew we were going to have a big family, so larger accomodations are a necessity for us with four kids. Paying for a large suite or villa or paying for two rooms is pretty pricey, so DVC seemed like a good way to spread those costs out over time.

We also plan to continue visiting Disney World for pretty much the rest of our lives on a fairly regular basis. For us, whether or not the kids go or not is immaterial ... we went together as a couple before they were born and will continue to go after they've grown and have their own families. Then we'll take the grandkids.

The real game-changer for me, though, was when I realized that the cost of a Disney deluxe hotel room has far outpaced inflation in terms of cost increases. With no sign of demand letting up, we felt it was wise to prepay now and get that hedge on coming increases.

Think about it ... what will a 2 bedroom villa at the Beach Club go for in 2027? I know what it will cost me ... nothing!

sassafras
09-17-2010, 08:15 PM
The deciding factor for us was the cost. DH and I were going at least 2, if not 3 times, per year to DW from IN. We finally sat down and figured out what we had paid out for moderate accommodations in a period of about 4 years and saw we could have paid for most of the 150 points we purchased. Now we can stay places we thought we'd never be able to afford to. Plus we have the added knowledge that we can still vacation once we retire.

DVC2004
09-17-2010, 11:51 PM
We went to WDW three straight years and our kids were small. We always stayed Deluxe. On our third trip we toured and by our 4th we were members. We felt it was an affordable way to continue to visit Disney and liked that we could bring extended family sometimes or use it other places. We've always been happy with our decision to become members.

vizsla
09-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Our deciding factor was based on the amount of trips we knew we would be making to WDW over the years since we love Disney so much. The intial purchase is alot, add in the yearly maint. fees then compare it to what it cost you every trip on the room rates for moderate or deluxe resorts after approx. 7-10 trips. It will be right around the cost of a DVC Membership. As mentioned in a previous post the room rates continue to increase yealy at a much higher rate than the maint. fees so in the long run it will be saving you money if you plan to always use your DVC Membership at least on a yearly basis.

Ian
09-18-2010, 11:06 AM
As mentioned in a previous post the room rates continue to increase yearly at a much higher rate than the maint. fees ...Right. The maintenance fees have increased pretty reliably by an average of about 3% per year (really depends on where you own, but that's a workable number).

BrerGnat
09-18-2010, 11:59 AM
We decided NO, for us, for a few reasons. However, JUST considering the money factor, we calculated that we'd need to make over 30 week long trips to WDW during the life of the ownership to "break even", based on our vacation style (Deluxe accommodations).

Now, I love WDW. I go a lot. But, even in my 32 years of life on this planet, I've not gone even 20 times. So, realistically, we'd end up going JUST because we "paid" for it.

And, the argument about room rate increases, etc. It's all smoke and mirrors, as far as I'm concerned. For the past 10 years, and likely pretty far into the future (regardless of what they say), Disney is going to offer room discounts/other incentives to keep going. The "savings" DVC advertises is "up to 40% savings on accommodations." Well, when you can get THEIR accommodations at close to or over 40% off fairly regularly, the DVC ends up costing the same.

DVC WAS a great deal back when it originated (Old Key West). People who invested back then are the real winners.

Now, though, it's just a ploy to get you to plunk down a huge wad of cash, for, essentially a "less than Deluxe" (in MY opinion) room at a glorified apartment complex.

The stories lately about difficulty getting into the home resort, too. It's not for us for sure. That would really make me upset...

DonLefNY
09-18-2010, 02:15 PM
We were going to WDW once or twice a year staying mostly in the deluxe resorts. We looked at DVC when the VWL opened up and it made more sense to buy into DVC.

But, last week we started the process to purchase a home in Solivita Florida (about 20 miles from WDW). Once the paper work is completed and house is furnished we are going to start selling off some of our DVC contracts (we have 4) and start snowbirding in Florida for the winters.:mickey:

princessjojo
09-19-2010, 10:36 AM
We loved going and planned on going many many times in the future. It had been discussed, but I'm a chicken when it comes down to making large purchases. Then one day I had a really really REALLY bad day and made the emotional inpulse buy. We don't go every year any longer, but we do have the points to do that if we choose and choose wisely. We prefer to go about every other year or so and it works for us that way.

GAN
09-19-2010, 01:17 PM
We've been members for 5 years, visited 3 times on points. We've rented our points twice now which has paid almost in full, 4 years worth of maintenance fees. Given that I know that I could sell today for the same amount or more than what we originally paid -I'd say that we're pretty happy with the "investment." Oh. I forgot to add in the cash I would have lost if the money had stayed in the stock market. So maybe we're actually ahead a little at this point -and still got 3 vacations(2 in 2-bedrooms, 1 in a studio) for basically $600.00. I'd say that's better than any deluxe. This is just our situation, every case could be very different.

diz_girl
09-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I bought last year and actually haven't used my points yet. I bought in because I found that we've been going more frequently now and we will for the foreseeable future.

I stay in Deluxes and especially love the monorail resorts of my youth, so I bought into BLT. We will be going to WDW every other year, bringing extended family (Sis and her family) every other trip. So I can spend a week at a 2 BR villa one trip, and, with careful banking and borrowing, can get two 2 BR villas for the extended family the next trip.

I spend time at the resort, so I'd like a room where I can spread out, and a 2 BR will be perfect for our family.

brivers222
09-20-2010, 12:40 PM
What made us buy into:
During our 2004 trip we attended a presentation just to get the Unlimited Fastpass thingy they were giving out.

After seeing the savings (and the way better accomidations) we decided to buy and then used it on our 2006 trip.

What made us sell out of:
Got divorced in 2007 and per my lawyer, it was best to sell it and divide up the "profits"

So I am now a former SSR DVC member... Loved it while I had it

Tinkerfreak
09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
DH and I have been on the fence about DVC for about 7 years now. We almost bought in 2008 but after our trip we realized our kids were getting less and less excited about going and we knew that we could no longer pull them out of school for a week and we don't like the crowds or heat so decided we might not use it enough.
Fast forward to May when DH and I went on a trip without the kids and had a great time. Then we ended up booking a trip at the end of January with the kids and they want to bring friends so we booked 2 moderate rooms. We realize now that DH and I will always want to go even if for long weekends etc. and the kids will still be able to go for long weekends occasionally and would like to bring friends. We are thinking that it may be of more value to us than we thought. We are thinking about BLT because of the monorail access. We are deciding how many points we will need etc. We plan to do the tour if we have time on our Jan. trip. The thing bothering me now is that the woman who we have been in contact with for years has not been returning our phone calls. She has always been so prompt that this surprises me. Hopefully she is not sick or something, or maybe just sick of us not making the commitment :blush:. Does anyone have a rep that they use and could reccommend?
Sorry this was so long!!!

princessjojo
09-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Does anyone have a rep that they use and could reccommend?
I pm'd you the name and a number of our DVC rep. He worked wonderfully with us and we were very pleased. Good luck with your decision making...

disneydad153
09-20-2010, 05:23 PM
We have been to Disney pretty much every year since 2002. We always stayed in a value or occasional moderate and always enjoyed it. The wife was also against DVC feeling that it wasnt worth the cost. That all changed last year when we stayed at a value for 2 nights prior to staying with friends at Saratoga. The room was dirty and the guest were rude. Saratoga was fantastic. The extra space was great with the kids. After talking it over, we did the DVC tour. What sold it was the bigger rooms and the fact that we could use the points to travel when the kids didnt want to to do Disney anymore. Still not sure if it was worth it money wise but for personal comfort and relaxation during vacation, it was.:mickey:

jonahbear2006
09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
we havent purchased yet but have changed our views on it totally because we have a large family and over the years we have learned that it is just going to keep getting more expensive. If we buy into dvc, it wont. Sure the price of tickets and food will slowly increase but the price of 2 rooms instead of 1 can kill it for us. We need 2 rooms now and that makes us decide yes dvc. Now it is necessary and with this, going to disney is possible. I hope to be able to go 2x a year while our kids are growing up. I think it is so necessary. If a whole year passes before you return, then think of the stage that is missed, in a small child. Ours forget just in the 6-9mths they are away; esp. the small one.

Goofy4TheWorld
09-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I came within inches of plopping down a DVC deposit prior to my June 2010 trip, and boy am I glad that I didn't. We only visit Disney once every 3 years, so DVC only worked for us if we made that every 3 years rule an absolute must do vacation. Our June trip with our wild 2 year old was soooooo stressful that I realized that Disney with really small children just wasn't for me. My wife and I kinda-sorta think we might have 3 kids, and even though DVC does make more sense for families of 5 or more, I will cross that bridge when I get there (and that bridge will likely lead to an off-site hotel for us).

Life will present too many obstacles to committing to Disney on any frequency, whether that be newborn children, finances, school calenders, or whatever comes along in life that gets in the way.

Okay, I am rambling. But for me, the unpredictability of life, combined with the ENORMOUS opportunity costs of the DVC investment cash (given that I still have a mortgage and two car payments), persuaded me that I want the flexibility to do whatever I want and not be tied down to my DVC use year.

TheDuckRocks
09-21-2010, 09:38 AM
As a retired accountant after running the numbers it was fiancally the best move for us considering how we want to visit WDW in the future.

Loweschevy
09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
BLT was the deal maker for my parents. They were not interested in buying AKV or SSR, We love being on the monorail, so when BLT was announced I was thrilled. I will be going with them every year and my brother and his family will be able to join us from time to time. The point system makes it flexible for banking or borrowing the right amount of points to suit your party size also.

We also have been going every year for the past idk 25 years, staying at deluxe resorts. You feel like you should kick yourself for not doing it sooner, but making sure you are financially stable is most important.

Plex
09-21-2010, 04:34 PM
A couple of things for me really.

1 - Staying at a Deluxe. I was considering DVC for a while but didn't really see the value in a Deluxe until a stayed there. Now I'd spend the money on a Deluxe every time, so DVC makes more sense for me.

2 - Possibility of exchanging outside of DVC. We want to travel all over and once I actualyl saw the selection and points charts for exchanges outside of DVC I was sold. The talk about it being a lot of points is total hype, and it's generally about the same as staying the same amount of time at WDW. Trades for exactly what you want can be tough, but if you're not that picky on what order you do cool vacations in, it's a winner.

3 - Money. Along with 1 and 2, it's definitely cheaper for us to vacation through DVC than it is to pay cash.

4 - Convenience - It's much easier to plan vacations with DVC and takes some of the stresses out of planning.

ANG
09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
We've gone to DW twice, and will be going this yr as our first DVC trip. The first trip was our honeymoon and we stayed at a Moderate. That trip cost us quote a bit as newlyweds. Then last year, we decided to save money and stay at a Value. NEVER again will I use a Value.

DH and I love Disney. We also love that we will always be able to afford a DW trip every year, staying at a deluxe resort. I think it's great how we can get bigger rooms depending on who is joining us.

For us, there is no other vacation spot.