PDA

View Full Version : If a ride hadn't changed, would we want it to?

Imagineer1981
09-17-2010, 03:23 PM
After reading threads about bringing back old attractions I started thinking, what if they had never left, would we be thinking they need a replacement or update?

I would say an attraction like Mr. Toad would be kept the same, but I feel like we would be begging for Disney to update Horizons or World of Motion today because they would feel outdated. Would we be saying "Epcot needs more thrill rides", if Mission Space and Test Track didn't exist. We'd probably be saying "20k leagues is sooo old, lets update it" kind of like we are currently saying about Speedway. Just a thought :mickey:

SBETigg
09-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I've never been a fan of Mr. Toad. I definitely would have wanted some updates there. It was desperately in need of new technology (along with Snow White's Adventures). People would argue that these rides are classic and have some connection to Walt, but I think that Walt would have wanted things to keep up with the times and technological advancements, too, and that ride was old school.

Horizons, to me, not as much in need of updating with the exception again of keeping up with technology and changing times. It had that choose your own ending feature which was wonderful, fun, and kept the ride fresh, unlike the World of Motion or what is now Ellen's Energy Adventure, which I could honestly only ride so many times before I end up going whole trips without needing to go near it. And yes, I think we would be saying "Epcot needs more thrill rides," or "20,000 Leagues is so old." I was saying it back then. 20,000 Leagues got to be in sorry shape before they shut it down. It was in desperate need of work for a long time.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-17-2010, 04:30 PM
I think it depends on the ride...I wouldn't want Pirates or Haunted Mansion to leave or have major changes, but I can think of several that need to be revamped or replaced:

Revamp:
Back Lot Tour-DHS
Great Movie Ride-DHS
Gran Fiesta Tour-Epcot
Tommorrowland Speedway-MK

Replace:
Journey into Imagination with Figment-Epcot
Sounds Dangerous Drew Carey-DHS
Narnia-DHS
Astro Orbitor-MK

hubbyofadisneyholic
09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
I think there will always be the "battle" between those that feel every attraction needs to be thrill a minute, state of the art everything and those that prefer the nostalgic and the idea of being able to share with their children and grandchildren the attractions they enjoyed in the past.

I fall into the latter group, but feel there should be room for both at WDW.

Much as I enjoy RnR and ToT, Ms and TT it would sure be nice to be able to ride Horizons or World of Motion again. Or enjoy seeing Figment & Dreamfinder again.

jazzy
09-17-2010, 06:23 PM
OMG!!! I was so dissapointed with narnia, i was like what the hell was that. Disney certainly got lazy and just throw something together to promote there lastest narnia film. NEEDS TO GO!!!!

btharvey
09-17-2010, 10:08 PM
We will always have our own opinions on what should stay and what should go. The Carousel of Progress should always stay ... but the last scene should always be updated.

And Cinderella's Carousel should always stay. Update some new music to match the new movies.

Some would say that Stitch should always go. ;)

Alexander Scourby should always be the voice. As should Paul Frees.

But if everything stayed the same, we'd stop coming. What about Soarin'? And yes, Mission Space and Test Track? Should the Seas have stayed without Nemo? Maybe yes, maybe no. Much is the same.

The Land is much the same. Splash Mountain (those darned possoms!).

Dunno ... So long as we don't get so hateful and spiteful and angry that they did or didn't change something, I think we'll be OK. It's when we start saying, "I hate what they did" or "I'm never coming back to that" or "What idiots" or "Stupid" ... that just shows how ignorant we, ourselves are, when we can't see the light in what someone else sees.

Just like EPCOT, we need to open our eyes to the future. EPCOT did not stay true to Walt Disney's original vision for that area, but it stayed true to its spirit. As does, I believe, everything else. It's the positive in everything that we should be looking for, not the negative. And if the laugh floor just doesn't do it for you, then don't go there. I don't think you'll be so bored you won't come back.

(*But the Speedway does really need a remake or replacement, doesn't it?*)

:mickey:

dixielandings
09-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I think there will always be the "battle" between those that feel every attraction needs to be thrill a minute, state of the art everything and those that prefer the nostalgic and the idea of being able to share with their children and grandchildren the attractions they enjoyed in the past.

I fall into the latter group, but feel there should be room for both at WDW.

Much as I enjoy RnR and ToT, Ms and TT it would sure be nice to be able to ride Horizons or World of Motion again. Or enjoy seeing Figment & Dreamfinder again.

This is me. I wish the next Park would be a retired-attraction Park - where old souls like us could go and ride Horizons, the original JIYI, the Skyway...I could see some stuff I never got a chance to see, like Dreamflight and If You Had Wings. That'd be cool...

I love that some stuff stays the same. And I love SOME of the changes that are being made.

MagicalGuest
09-18-2010, 06:34 PM
There should always be updates to keep us all coming back. But, oh how I miss Toad...it was so silly!

Gator
09-18-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't miss Toad, and my family loves Winnie the Pooh. Also, updating El Rio del Tiempo to include Donald Duck was a huge improvement.

joonyer
09-20-2010, 02:24 PM
" What if they (attractions) had never left, would we be thinking they need a replacement or update?" . . .

Well, we actually have a prime example of Disney doing just this. The Tomorrowland Speedway. I think it is as close to the original version as any attraction at WDW. Of all the attractions that Disney has left alone through the years, it amazes me that the one that has the least imaginative elements is the one they have not changed or updated or better yet, just replaced. The only changes I know of has been the sponsorship, changing of the name, and signs. Maybe some newer car bodies.

It is WAYYYY over due for replacement.

azcavalier
09-20-2010, 04:13 PM
" What if they (attractions) had never left, would we be thinking they need a replacement or update?" . . .

Well, we actually have a prime example of Disney doing just this. The Tomorrowland Speedway. I think it is as close to the original version as any attraction at WDW. Of all the attractions that Disney has left alone through the years, it amazes me that the one that has the least imaginative elements is the one they have not changed or updated or better yet, just replaced. The only changes I know of has been the sponsorship, changing of the name, and signs. Maybe some newer car bodies.

It is WAYYYY over due for replacement.

I completely agree with this. My question is how has this survived over the years? It takes up a lot of valuable real estate. It is *old*. Old looking, old feeling, not even nostalgic. WHy has this particular attraction never been redone, or done away with?