PDA

View Full Version : Magical Express...or car service?

andrew&ryansmommy
09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Looking for opinions on whether we should do ME or get car service. We are leaning more towards flying, so..how does ME work? What and how long is the process when you land? How long to get to hotel, etc..all info is greatly appreciated! We will be arriving Nov. 30th and staying at POP..it will be me, DH, DS 1 & 3, and my mom. We would probably be landing around 2...we havent gotten any tix yet, so, does it matter if you land, early, late? Sorry to ask so much, but I am really stressing about how to get to Disney, and what to do when we get there and all info will help us to make a decision. We had car service when we went last year, which was great (no waiting in lines, directly to hotel, grocery store stop) but are looking to save as much money as we can..I know about Garden Grocer so we could still do that. TIA!

Strmchsr
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
It doesn't matter what time you land to use DME. In my experience, it's usually 90 min - 2 hours from the time you land until you arrive at the resort. DME is easy to use and free. You just go up to the counter, sign in and get on the bus. Your bags will "magically" appear in your room a 3-4 hours later.

The advantage of taking a town car service, like Quicksilver, is the personalized service. Plus you can often do a grocery stop. You don't have to wait for the bus or make other stops. You just meet your driver, get in your car, and relax until you arrive. Very nice way to travel and the Quicksilver folks are great. The only drawbacks are it's not free and you have to get your own bags (which you may prefer anyway).

I've done it both ways and enjoyed both. We only live 7 hours away now, so we usually drive, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it either way in the future. It's more personal preference.

DonaldsBFF
09-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Magical Express is great, it is all part of the experience. We have always landed in the morning and the wait was no longer than 15 minutes. Took about 30-45 minutes to get to hotel if I remember correctly. We are always so excited so the ride never really bothered us, they also play an informational video on the way. The best part about ME is that once you check your luggage at you home airport you dont have to worry about it as it will be brought right to your room at WDW. Just be sure to carry on anything that you deem necessary and can't wait for once you arrive.

BigRedDad
09-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Let me help relieve some of the stress.

1. Taking a car service for that many people will cost you some money. Well over $100 for a round trip. DME is free and very efficient.
2. With 5 people, toting around luggage will be a pain. You are better off letting DME deal with your luggage so you do not have to.

Tips:
1. If you use DME, you can put the yellow bag tags on your luggage. This signals baggage handlers that the bags go to Disney and are not put on the turn style.
2. In your carry on luggage, pack a change of clothes for 1 day for everyone. The reason is luggage is sometimes lost.
3. If you use the yellow tags for DME, they are the representative that will work in your behalf to locate any lost luggage. You do not need to miss any time by dealing with the airlines. I witnessed this at AKL for a mother and her daughter. They were so appreciative of DME and how the lost luggage was handled.
4. The luggage "magically" appears at your room ~3 hours after you land. You don't have to worry about it if you are at the parks. They put it in the room for you.

Stu29573
09-17-2010, 01:32 PM
In my experience it takes about an hour from the time you land until the time you are at your resort. I really enjoy ME, and not having to worry about anything.

faline
09-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I've done both. My preference is a car service but if money is an issue, Magical Express works well and costs you nothing more.

Disney4us2
09-17-2010, 02:01 PM
I have used DME in my past trips and plan on it for my upcoming ones. I never had a problem with lost luggage. We love the DME ride, it means we are almost at WDW:mickey:

pokci
09-18-2010, 04:27 PM
I use DME. The trip from MCO to WDW is 30 minutes. Once on property it depends which resort you're going to as to how much longer it will take to be dropped off.

The "indoctrination" video ;) is fun but if it doesn't work, you will most likely have a very funny and engaging bus driver who will entertain the whole way. I pick up my own luggage, that way I have it if my room is ready. Going back, you will need to get on DME three hours prior to your flight, so you lose a little time that way. BUT... it's free, fun and on the way back it's another :goofy: video.

MagicalGuest
09-18-2010, 06:42 PM
We always use DME. After landing, we're at the resort about 70 minutes later. And it's so effortless, since you don't have to retrieve and lug baggage. Once at the resort, we check our carry-ons and go right to the parks...that night, our bags are waiting. And it's all free.

HoosierDisneyFan
09-18-2010, 09:50 PM
DME is the way to go! The time it takes varies on the time of year you go and the time of day you arrive at the airport.

We generally arrive as early in the day as we can get a flight. Jump off the plane and go straight to the DME area. They handle the bags. This saves much time! Then check-in and get on the bus. Once we check into the resort, we can go straight to the parks or DTD. When we return that evening our luggage is waiting for us in our room.

All of this is included in your resort stay! No extra fees!

mimi78
09-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I have also planned to use ME for the first time, so this is very helpful. My other question though is whether it is possible to check our luggage with the ME tags when we leave NY, and then can we take a car service once we arrive in FL? In other words send our luggage on ME but not us? My husband thinks this is a better option and while I disagree, I can’t imagine Disney would let you do this anyway.

We have friends who said ME took a lot longer than they expected, so this is what he is basing it on. Our flight arrives before 9am from NY, so I don’t know whether to expect it will be crowded or not. And we are staying at the Boardwalk…does that mean our bus will have to go to the YC/BC first?

Thanks to anyone who responds!

BigRedDad
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
If you use the DME tags for your luggage, at least one person on the reservation must use DME.

jenperich
09-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I agree with most of the other posters on the thread. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE DME!!! When I get on that bus, I am as giddy as a school girl - and I'm 28!! I feel like as soon as I'm on that bus, I'm already at Disney! Plus, it's free, and if you don't want to, you don't have to worry about your luggage!

So, we very highly recommend DME! :mickey:

clausjo
09-20-2010, 03:50 PM
This is a very informative thread. I'm in the process of relocating to Denver and am planning a trip with my daughter for February. Having always lived in south FL, flying in to Orlando is a new experience. I think Magical Express is a great idea. One poster said you need to leave for the airport on the way home 3 hours in advance - is that all the time or is that based on how crowded it is, etc?

CleveRocks
09-20-2010, 03:56 PM
This is a very informative thread. I'm in the process of relocating to Denver and am planning a trip with my daughter for February. Having always lived in south FL, flying in to Orlando is a new experience. I think Magical Express is a great idea. One poster said you need to leave for the airport on the way home 3 hours in advance - is that all the time or is that based on how crowded it is, etc?All the time. On the day before your departure day, you'll receive written notice of your assigned bus pick-up time. It'll be 3 hours before your flight, plus or minus 20 minutes.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
I'll be short and sweet. ME has always been great for us. Last three trips have been wonderful. No problems at all. I'd highly recommend it.

nfrustaci
09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
DME is AWESOME !!!!! we have used it every year and only encountered one problem in i think 6 years and that was because we used an outside travel company to book my famly and several friends. the luggage tags had one persons name on all of our travel party so the bags all 12 of them were delivered to their room. thank god we were all staying in the same hotel!!!! but disney rectified the problem and the manager was up in that room distributing the bags accordingly. i love the bus. i get off the plane and head to the lower level and get my ticket stamped and on to the line and to the bus we go. early morning is great because there is usually no wait for the bus. it also depends on when u r arriving like we alway arrive on a sunday so we generally dont wait. but on friday evening and all day saturday we have waited for the DME. DON'T HESITATE TO USE THE SERVICE IT IS ALL PART OF THE DISNEY MAGIC