PDA

View Full Version : Home resort ??

AntMagsMom
09-16-2010, 06:28 PM
My DH and I have looked many times at DVC and when we just returned from the World last week we finally took a tour. We've decided that this makes the most sense for our family.

However, I think buying a resale is a better value. But my problem is that my DH thinks that if we don't buy direct from Disney we'll end up with less than we would get, if that makes sense and he's freaked out about the 11 month/7 month thing. Meaning he thinks that if we buy at say AKL that we'll never be able to say at BLT. Is that an unrealistic thought?

faline
09-16-2010, 06:32 PM
There may be times when you might be unable to stay at other resorts and it would be better to book at your home resort. For example, if you plan to go during Christmas, you'd be better served to book at your home resort at your 11 month mark.

If you go during a slower period or can be flexible in your dates or where you want to stay, you have a good chance of getting into a resort other than your home resort at the 7 month mark.

DizneyRox
09-16-2010, 08:50 PM
It should be a concern, however as someone mentioned, it depends on when you go. If you can plan at 11 months, your home resort could be very important, if you plan last minute, then a. you take what you can get, and b. DVC may not be a good option.

If I were going next year, I'd already have my accomodations set and I would be buying airline tickets as soon as Southwest opens their schedule.

I tell people though, buy where you want to stay. Or DO NOT buy where you absolutely DO NOT want to stay. I think a lot of people forget, not too long ago, there were lots of complaints about people waitlisting and not having anything come through. I think as the economy starts to recover, you'll see more and more of that.

MinnieMommie
09-16-2010, 10:21 PM
It is sometimes hard to take the plunge and buy into DVC (I know it was hard for me) so congratulations on your decision.

It sounds like you are asking a couple of different things. In regards to resale there will be no difference whether you buy from Disney or the resale market as far as the 11th month window for your home resort. Once you are an official DVC owner you will be able to book a vacation at your home resort at the 11 month window and at the 7 month window for non-home resorts.

The question about where to buy rather than who to buy from is a good one. I agree with DisneyRox that you should not buy where you do not want to stay. Your home resort should be a place where you may have to stay if you can't get another DVC at the 7 month window so you need to be comfortable staying there. If you know you absolutely want to stay at a specific DVC and are usually able to plan your vacations 11 months out then that is another way to go.

I also agree with Feline that the time of year you plan to visit will make some venues more or less assessable at the 7 month window. The size of the DVC is also another variable to consider (larger generally better chance than a smaller at the 7 month window. Hope this is helpful. :mickey: