PDA

View Full Version : Drive or fly from NJ?

andrew&ryansmommy
09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
I know this is probably a stupid question and also depends on our kids, but would you drive or fly from NJ with a 1 and 3 yr old? We were set on giving the drive a try..my husband and I have done it before (b4 kids)..we didnt think our 3 yr old would be too much to handle, worried more about the 1 yr old not having much to do, besides dvds, etc. I just found a GREAT rate (158 r/t) and am looking to fly. It will wind up costing us probably about 300 more to fly. We are torn bc we thought it would be good to have the car down there (we would still be using Disney transportation between parks bc my mom will be using a scooter) to eat off property, check out other resorts, do Sea World, etc. With these pros and cons, can you help point me in a direction?

Joannelet
09-16-2010, 02:24 PM
We use to fly without children. However now that I have a 1 year old (almost 2 now) it has been easier for ME if we drive.
With all the extra costs for bags on airplanes right now it wouldn't make sense for me to fly. (I also am NOT a fan of flying-as I have a fear of it).
If you are looking to just have a car down there consider renting one when you land.
I however fill up the car with all the baby's stuff that it just makes it easy for me to pack and not have to worry about it costing extra.
We have drove 2x's so far with him. The first time he was 7 months old and the 2nd time he was a year. Both trips were great driving.
We ended up driving to the parks ourselves as the buses were very busy the week we went in Dec. That also made it easier. (and if I needed anything we had a car to go to Walmart etc.)

Strmchsr
09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
If it would only cost you about $300 more to fly, do it. Hands down. With kids that age, that can't really occupy themselves, driving might be a nightmare. Sure, you could leave late at night and drive overnight, but that would only eliminate 8 or so hours for the kids. I think the struggle/hassle would be way too much to go that far on kids that young both ways. If you were moving and it was only 1 way, not such a big deal, but that's a lot to expect out of little ones over the course of 7 or so days.

If you really want a car, rent one down there or take a taxi to Sea World. I've had my car down there and it nice, but not that big of a deal.

BrerGnat
09-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Fly.

No question. 20 hours in a car with a 1 and 3 year old would drive me to drive the car off a cliff.

The flight down is very short from NJ. Do it for the convenience.

I learned too, that you can't predict what might happen during or right at the end of your trip with kids. On our trip to WDW in the spring, my DH came down with a nasty stomach bug during the trip, which he passed to our kids who were sick ON THE FLIGHT HOME. We had a 6.5 hour trip too, all the way to CA.

Imagine if one of your young kids gets sick. It will be a LONG trip home if you drive...and if you or your DH fall ill, driving that long will be a nightmare.

ILoveLegos
09-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I'd fly. My niece went batty when her grandparents drove her down to Florida from NJ at 15 months of age. One grandparent drove while the other tried to console her (with DVDs, toys, music, hugs, bottles, breaks, food - everything they could think of). It was really rough they said. I flew to Florida to meet them and my niece was absolutely batty again everytime we tried to strap her in her car seat. Let's just say, my niece flew home with me from FL to NJ. :blush:

diz_girl
09-16-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't like flying and normally drive to WDW, so I'm biased in favor of driving. We drove about 2 years ago when DS was 17 months. He was fine. There were 3 adults, so someone was always in the backset with him to keep him occupied. Of course, he whined when we got back in the car, but he was OK. He was better than we were when we got stuck in traffic in the Carolinas on Thanksgiving weekend 2008. We also stopped every 2 hours (frequently at a Cracker Barrel) so he could run around for 20 minutes or so and burn off some energy. If a toddler wasn't allowed to run around every couple of hours, I can see how there might be problems.

One other thing, some people see the drive as hassle to be overcome, but others see it as part of the journey. Depending on where you live in NJ, you can take the Cape May-Lewes ferry to the DelMarVa penninsula and then maybe make a short stop at Chincoteage where they can see the horses, maybe make a picnic of it (depending on when you're there). Kids love boats and horses. Making stops where there are sights for the kids to see can really make the drive part of your vacation rather than a drudge. The book "Road Trip USA" by Jamie Jensen has lots of interesting places along the coast but I-95 is not the route taken. So some places may be close to I-95, some may not, depending on where you are along it, but just reading the book makes you want to take the trip.

DisneyPrincess21
09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
We always drive from NJ

MagicalGuest
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
We've always flown from NJ to WDW w/our kids.If the $300 to fly isn't a big deal to you financially, I'd fly. Think of it this way: you're losing 2 days of your vacation driving when you could be enjoying the parks.

We fly out from Newark very early — usually about 6:30 am flight — to avoid the crowds going through security. When we arrive at the airport at about 4:45, almost no one's there, so we breeze right through security. The kids are tired, so they sleep on the plane.

kathiep
09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
We drive. My husband is not a big flyer to begin with. Add to that I don't feel like dealing with the stress of navigating the airports with little ones.

We also like being able to load the car with whatever we want. We would seriously need to limit what we bring if we were to fly.
We drove for the first time when our kids were 3 1/2 and about 21 months and it was just easier to pack the strollers, all the diapers and the million other things we needed.

We have driven once a year every year since. We always pack a bag ahead of time with new toys or activities the kids haven't seen before. We also try to plan a couple of DVD's that are newer and they haven't watched.

I think the final selling point for us - was having our car on site. We find it so much easier to drive to the parks with little ones. I can't imagine navigating the busses with hot, possibly cranky little ones and a stroller. We hop right into our car and when they were younger, many times they would fall asleep while we drove. We circled Disney property more times than I care to count to allow for longer naps!

When I consider flying- I always add in extra for baggage handling as well as car rental fees once we arrive, and driving still ends up being cheaper for us. Besides, when else do I get to spend so much interrupted one on one time with my kids. I might not have too many years of that left.

DisneyPrincess21
09-17-2010, 10:10 AM
We also like being able to load the car with whatever we want. We would seriously need to limit what we bring if we were to fly.
We drove for the first time when our kids were 3 1/2 and about 21 months and it was just easier to pack the strollers, all the diapers and the million other things we needed.

We have driven once a year every year since. We always pack a bag ahead of time with new toys or activities the kids haven't seen before. We also try to plan a couple of DVD's that are newer and they haven't watched.

I think the final selling point for us - was having our car on site. We find it so much easier to drive to the parks with little ones. I can't imagine navigating the busses with hot, possibly cranky little ones and a stroller. We hop right into our car and when they were younger, many times they would fall asleep while we drove. We circled Disney property more times than I care to count to allow for longer naps!

When I consider flying- I always add in extra for baggage handling as well as car rental fees once we arrive, and driving still ends up being cheaper for us. Besides, when else do I get to spend so much interrupted one on one time with my kids. I might not have too many years of that left.

:ditto::exactly:

JerseyDad
09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
....driving to WDW is the ONLY way I will go. We just got back two weeks ago from our 8th trip in 6 yrs...and it seems to be a lot easier every time. We're in central Jersey (NJ Turnpike Exit 9 ) .....usually leave on a Friday morning at 6am...and stop for the night in Brunswick, Georgia.....usually no later than 7:30pm. This past trip...we made it to our hotel (Hampton Inn) in Brunswick in 12.5 hrs. The next morning...we're on the road by 8am...and get to WDW by 11:30 Sat morning.

Having the car with us is a big plus. We often take one day to be off-site (Universal Studios..etc)...and having the car without having to worry about..or pay for...a rental is a huge benefit. I can't imagine having a car that's rented...sit in the parking lot most of the time...and still be paying for it!! Additionally, having our car (my wife's Ford Freestar mini-van)..is also great if we do shopping at WDW...which we always do. I can't even fathom how much I'd have to pay to put what we buy on a plane with us...or to ship it home.

....a gas only cost us $225...round trip....and the hotel in Georgia was $89 dollars for the one night stop-over (we drive straight through on the return trip home).

...no matter how we wheeled & dealed with air-fares and car rental deals....it was always cheaper to drive.

HeadFairyInCharge
09-23-2010, 12:28 PM
From NJ...We always fly to Florida, no matter what. Airfare is not too bad, and unless you have extremely patient kids - I would not try driving. You will fly in 2 hrs you are there getting settled. I find we don't need a car, use the transportation Disney provides and you are set ! I find we need a day to recover from long trips in the car at home with only a few hours driving tires everyone out. Good Luck !:mickey:

#1donaldfan
09-23-2010, 01:07 PM
FLY !! You can resort hop using Disney transportation !! About other non-Disney parks, you can get a taxi if you really, really wanted to go to 'em, however we've always found enough at Disney to keep our attention !!:mickey:

princessgirls
09-23-2010, 01:49 PM
You have to ask yourself...

How much patience do I have for this road trip.

Flying in 2010 is annoying, HOWEVER, it is the best use of your time!!

I have struggled with this issue, and Orlando is just longer than I want to be in the car.

We did it once. Enough said!
Julie:mickey:

angel2931
09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
....driving to WDW is the ONLY way I will go. We just got back two weeks ago from our 8th trip in 6 yrs...and it seems to be a lot easier every time. We're in central Jersey (NJ Turnpike Exit 9 ) .....usually leave on a Friday morning at 6am...and stop for the night in Brunswick, Georgia.....usually no later than 7:30pm. This past trip...we made it to our hotel (Hampton Inn) in Brunswick in 12.5 hrs. The next morning...we're on the road by 8am...and get to WDW by 11:30 Sat morning.

Having the car with us is a big plus. We often take one day to be off-site (Universal Studios..etc)...and having the car without having to worry about..or pay for...a rental is a huge benefit. I can't imagine having a car that's rented...sit in the parking lot most of the time...and still be paying for it!! Additionally, having our car (my wife's Ford Freestar mini-van)..is also great if we do shopping at WDW...which we always do. I can't even fathom how much I'd have to pay to put what we buy on a plane with us...or to ship it home.

....a gas only cost us $225...round trip....and the hotel in Georgia was $89 dollars for the one night stop-over (we drive straight through on the return trip home).

...no matter how we wheeled & dealed with air-fares and car rental deals....it was always cheaper to drive.

Which way do you guys go? DH and I are making the trip with our 2 yo DS in Feb. We are in Rockland Cty NY, right over the boarder of Bergen Cty, NJ. We plan on leaving on Fri night and driving to a family members in Delaware, then getting up Sat am and driving all day. I would like to stay somewhere that we would have a shorter drive to Disney on Sunday cause that is our 1st park day. Did you drive down 95 or go a different way? TIA!! :mickey:

JerseyDad
09-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Which way do you guys go? DH and I are making the trip with our 2 yo DS in Feb. We are in Rockland Cty NY, right over the boarder of Bergen Cty, NJ. We plan on leaving on Fri night and driving to a family members in Delaware, then getting up Sat am and driving all day. I would like to stay somewhere that we would have a shorter drive to Disney on Sunday cause that is our 1st park day. Did you drive down 95 or go a different way? TIA!! :mickey:

.....we take NJ Tpke then I-95 all the way into Florida....then I-4 West to Orlando. Depending on where you're at in Rockland County...you can probably take the NYS Thruway or Palisades Pkwy to 87 /287...and then to Garden State Pkwy south to the NJ Tpke (it gets you on Tpke at Exit 11 in Woodbridge).

....the first time we went to WDW in 2004...we drove as far as Florence, SC.....but then the next day it was still 8 hrs in the car to Orlando...and killed most of our first day. Since then we've taken the approach that you mentioned...to get within a few hrs. of WDW...and then get to WDW fairly early and have most of the day free for us at a park. That's why we stay in Brunswick, Ga...because it's only 3.5 hrs from WDW (1/2 hr north of the Fla border)....and we always get to our resort well before noon.

....not sure where you'll be leaving from in Delaware....but that's 1 to 1.5 hrs south of where I am in Central Jersey. So, if you leave early Sat. morning...6am(?)....you could be near the Fla border by 6:00pm Sat night (+/-12 hrs on the road).

If you have any other questions...feel free to ask....or private message me...

rmsongs
09-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I haven't checked prices lately, but on a trip to WDW a few years ago we drove to Virginia and took the Auto Train to Florida. We've driven (when our youngest was 3), we've flown, and we've done the train: If the price isn't completely out of whack, I'd take the train. The beauty of it is, you pack your car for Disney and when you get off the train (the morning after you leave VA) you have your own car (so you don't have to rent one) and everything is packed. A 30-minute drive from the train station in Sanford, FL and you're at WDW. The only thing is that if you want a bedroom on the train, the cost may soar. Just food for thought. Happy planning!

GrandFlo
09-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Usually I would say FLY....but...since DS is in
8th grade we can no longer take him out of school and have to go to Disney during school vacations. We ended up driving one February because RT air for three on Jet Blue was over $3,000 for President's week. :mad:

I must say I now like driving better, yes it does take more time, but as others have mentioned I like being able to pack whatever I want and how ever I want. We also enjoy having our own car to explore WDW and to resort hop.

Our first driving trips we stopped in Florence, SC, but like others mentioned, if you can get to Georgia go for it. We also get to our resort before noon if we make it to GA the first day.

Just a warning....driving down is fun, everyone is so excited. Driving home...not so fun. Just do what we do...plan your next Disney trip on the ride home.:mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-26-2010, 04:59 PM
The beauty of it is, you pack your car for Disney and when you get off the train (the morning after you leave VA) you have your own car (so you don't have to rent one) and everything is packed. A 30-minute drive from the train station in Sanford, FL and you're at WDW.
:ditto: We discovered the AutoTrain a couple of trips ago, and haven't driven since :)

For us, it is the best of both worlds ... our own car at Disney, and all of the stuff we can cram into it, but we don't have to actually drive the whole way :thumbsup:

Disneyfirsttimer
09-27-2010, 11:06 AM
I would definitely fly. So much easier and much quicker. We flew from our local airport (Stewart) on JetBlue earlier this month. We took off at 8:20am and were in the park at Hollywood Studio by 12:45pm. I remember saying to my husband, we would have barely been out of NJ by now if we drove.

I don't like flying, but you cannot beat the ease of it. Our first trip, the kids were 4 and 6 and they loved it. Now they both fight to get the window seat :mickey:.

Karyn

Schmiv
09-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Just did the trip with 3 DS ages 2, 7 & 9 and Flying was totally the way to go. We flew Jet Blue and got great fares. The 2 year old was fine through it all :thumbsup:.

Next trip we will rent a car for a few days so that we can go to other resorts in the area but not having a car to worry about or having to stay overnight in a motel was the best.

Jet Blue gives each passenger 1 bag free so there were no additional cost. The $$ we saved by booking through Magical Journeys :cloud9: was more then enough to cover the cost of the flight.

Belster
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
If it would only cost you about $300 more to fly, do it. Hands down. With kids that age, that can't really occupy themselves, driving might be a nightmare. Sure, you could leave late at night and drive overnight, but that would only eliminate 8 or so hours for the kids. I think the struggle/hassle would be way too much to go that far on kids that young both ways. If you were moving and it was only 1 way, not such a big deal, but that's a lot to expect out of little ones over the course of 7 or so days.

If you really want a car, rent one down there or take a taxi to Sea World. I've had my car down there and it nice, but not that big of a deal.

I will have to agree!!

We are leaving on 10/22 and up until yesterday did not have tickets for our family of 5 due to the cost. Needless to say I bit the bullet last night and booked airfair for 277 round trip per person...yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are not people that can really afford to be paying that much but...we decided that for piece of mind it is best for us to fly. In addtion, we do not hit other parks we only go to WDW....we do not have a need for a car.

I would fly at that rate!:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
10-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Just returned from trip #15.
The first thirteen trips were by air. Both DW and I are disabled, and cannot do all the walking thru the airports any more. My wife has her own scooter which goes into the back of my expedition, and I rent an ECV from Apple.
I am the only driver,and having other health issues, I take my time driving down. I budget two and a half days of driving each way.
I realize that this costs more than flying, but I have no luggage restrictions, don't have to rent a car, and can do side trips as I see fit.

jnfr2424
10-03-2010, 09:11 AM
We've always flown from NJ to WDW w/our kids.If the $300 to fly isn't a big deal to you financially, I'd fly. Think of it this way: you're losing 2 days of your vacation driving when you could be enjoying the parks.

We fly out from Newark very early — usually about 6:30 am flight — to avoid the crowds going through security. When we arrive at the airport at about 4:45, almost no one's there, so we breeze right through security. The kids are tired, so they sleep on the plane.

:ditto: we are leaving out of Newark on that 6:45am flight this Friday and will be in the park by noon I do not like to waste any time when WDW is involved:mickey: