PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Toffee Pudding

NJGIRL
09-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Can you tell me about the Sticky Toffee Pudding? We are trying a few new restaurants this time around but I really don't care so much about the food, I am all about the desserts.
I don't "let" myself eat desserts often but while on vacation I go crazy. I hate getting a dessert that's just so so. What are your experiences?

LynBug
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
I love the sticky toffee pudding! I don't really know how to describe it, but it was one of my favorites :cloud9:

NJGIRL
09-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Is it pudding???

SBETigg
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I've had it but I don't really remember it. It wasn't memorable! How good can it be? I don't remember thinking much of it one way or another. The sherry trifle, back when it had berries instead of "fruit" and was not a no sugar dessert, now that's the stuff of legend.

cer
09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Just curious - where "in the World" do you get the Sticky Toffee Pudding?

SBETigg
09-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Just curious - where "in the World" do you get the Sticky Toffee Pudding?

At the Rose & Crown.

Tygger7
09-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Personally, I LOVED the Sticky Toffee Pudding. It's not true "pudding" in the Jello pudding sense. It's a form of bread pudding...you cut bread into little chunks and mix it all together with milk, eggs, & spices. Then back it and pour carmel sauce over it. Yummy!

BrerGnat
09-15-2010, 02:54 PM
"Pudding" in the UK means "dessert". ANY dessert can be referred to as a "pudding".

In this case, it's a dense brown sugar and date cake. It's served warm in a toffee/caramel sauce, and often served with vanilla ice cream or a warm creme anglaise type sauce (similar to MELTED vanilla ice cream, in taste and texture). It's actually very good, but it's an acquired taste. For example, if you don't like dates, you'll probably hate it.

I've seen sticky toffee pudding desserts in the frozen food sections of Target and some supermarkets. Perhaps buy one of these, to get a feel for what this dessert is all about, and then if you like it, order it at WDW, where it will likely be MUCH better.

Fastpasssteve
09-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Something similar which might be more to your liking is a dessert they serve at the Liberty Tree Inn in the Magic Kingdom. Their Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake is to die for. Served only at lunch.

NJGIRL
09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Dates???? What are dates doing in toffee pudding, lol :D. I might have to try one from the frozen section before i go.

I did have the toffee dessert at the Liberty Tree before and I have to agree that was good!:cloud9:

BrerGnat
09-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Dates???? What are dates doing in toffee pudding, lol :D. I might have to try one from the frozen section before i go.

I did have the toffee dessert at the Liberty Tree before and I have to agree that was good!:cloud9:

Yeah, that makes it, like, healthy or something. ;)

But, you have to remember the context of the word "pudding." Our American version of pudding doesn't even EXIST in the UK.

And, the cake itself doesn't have any toffee flavor. That comes from the sauce.

NJGIRL
09-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for explaining that. I will probably still try it even though it's not what I thought it would be.

SBETigg
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
It's dense because it's not only brown sugar but also molasses (traditionally, not sure about R & C's version). And dates are often not the only dried fruit involved. Like BrerGnat says, traditional British fare considers "pudding" a lot differently than we do. I don't recall disliking the Sticky Toffee Pudding, so as much as I think I can't have found it wonderful, I must not have found it terrible either. But I didn't find it to be all that special, as I said. Good luck with it. Sometimes they have appealing options that aren't on current menus, like a Bailey's cream they had at once time that was truly good.

BrerGnat
09-17-2010, 06:55 PM
It's dense because it's not only brown sugar but also molasses (traditionally, not sure about R & C's version). And dates are often not the only dried fruit involved.

We have a local chain restaurant that serves a mini sticky toffee pudding dessert. That one has dates, figs, and golden raisins as the dried fruits included.

NJGirl: Do you like Fig Newtons? The cake is sort of similar to that flavor.

Fastpasssteve
09-18-2010, 01:04 AM
They do have something in Great Britain that resembles our Jello-seque pudding. They would use it in a dessert called a trifle and they would call it a custard...a cooked pudding employing eggs. One famous powdered version for sale is called Bird's Custard, although that particular custard mix does not use eggs as is the norm. Why? The inventor used cornflour and not eggs because his wife was allergic to eggs! How sweet is that?

NJGIRL
09-18-2010, 09:35 AM

I actually love fig newtons! Things are looking up. :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
09-18-2010, 09:38 AM

I actually love fig newtons! Things are looking up. :)

I really love that I am getting an interesting lesson in British desserts too.:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-18-2010, 12:03 PM
They do have something in Great Britain that resembles our Jello-seque pudding. They would use it in a dessert called a trifle and they would call it a custard...a cooked pudding employing eggs. One famous powdered version for sale is called Bird's Custard, although that particular custard mix does not use eggs as is the norm. Why? The inventor used cornflour and not eggs because his wife was allergic to eggs! How sweet is that?

Yes, that's true. Trifle is a very popular dessert. WE'D call it a "parfait". ;)

What I meant was, you won't find Jello pudding for sale in the UK, and if you asked for "pudding", you'd not end up with a bowl of custard. :D