PDA

View Full Version : So... this so-called "Jersey Week"...

MCeee
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
... is always in early November right? This year, does it start Monday November 1... or Monday November 8? Love seeing folks from NJ, hope to see a bunch this year! :mickey:

njgoof
09-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Jersey week is Nov 1 - 5, it coincides with the NJ teacher convention. Crowds are not too bad, but we usually go the following week.

Gator
09-14-2010, 05:19 PM
I've read that next year, the teacher's convention is on Nov 10 and 11, Thursday and Friday. Does that mean Jersey Week will be the that entire week? That sure would mess up my plans to go that month.

exvagirl
09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Its November 1-8...I'll be spending it down in WDW too! :thumbsup: :cloud9:

smokester653
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
So will most be checking in the weekend before, Oct 29th 30th or 31st or will they be checking in Nov 1st??? :blush:

exvagirl
09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Depends, personally, I'm not leaving until Tuesday but some do go for the full week. :)

johnO
09-14-2010, 09:43 PM
We'll be there on the 30th, 31st and 1st.....however, we're not from Jersey. ;)

disneymom2000
09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Wasn't sure what Jersey week was. I was guessing it was when people wore their favorite team or sports person jersey. Guess I was wrong on this one.

BTW - :welcome: to Intercot.

johnO
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Wasn't sure what Jersey week was. I was guessing it was when people wore their favorite team or sports person jersey. Guess I was wrong on this one.

BTW - :welcome: to Intercot.

I can't repeat what I thought "Jersey Week" represented......When I thought about what it meant I could only think of "Jersey Shore" and "Sopranos."

crltkcagle
09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Never knew about this. Thats cool!

diz_girl
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I've read that next year, the teacher's convention is on Nov 10 and 11, Thursday and Friday. Does that mean Jersey Week will be the that entire week? That sure would mess up my plans to go that month.

Yep, Jersey week is the entire week. Since the kids get the Thursday and Friday off (and sometimes more days), many parents just pull them out for the whole week.

My boss has gone during Jersey week and said that it's a great week to go. Great weather and not really crowded. Only the really popular rides had any lines, and you just Fastpass them anyway.

All - Please don't think that Jersey Week will be a siege of 'Jersey Shore', 'Sopranos', ' Jerseylicious', or 'Real Housewives of NJ' types. While there may be some of those types there, most people who live in NJ are normal people, just like anywhere else.

I was planning to go during Jersey Week this year, because we were going to go see the space shuttle launch on Nov 1. However, now that probably won't happen due to a pregnancy complication. I was so excited about going to MNSSHP on Halloween and now I'm pretty bummed about not going. But oh, well. Now I'll have to wait a year. :(

kathiep
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
All - Please don't think that Jersey Week will be a siege of 'Jersey Shore', 'Sopranos', ' Jerseylicious', or 'Real Housewives of NJ' types. While there may be some of those types there, most people who live in NJ are normal people, just like anywhere else.
:(

Very well said!! :thumbsup: Trust us, most of us are nothing like them.

missymouseworld
09-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz_girl

Very well said!! Trust us, most of us are nothing like them

Ditto!

Granny Jill A
09-16-2010, 02:04 PM
I wonder if the schools object to parents pulling their kids out for the entire week?

My grandchildren have been told by their teachers that it is not a good idea for them to be gone without an approved excuse. Family vacations are, unfortunately, not an approved excuse.

I personally wish the schools would go to year-round schedule and have three or four mini-breaks to accomodate non-traditional family vacations schedules.

Tinkerbella16
09-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Jersey Week is a good week to go.. its not crowded, you'll just find most people are from NJ that week. Schools are off since teachers are in conventions so its a good time for parents to take their famillies down and not have to worry about them missing days of school. We always went during Jersey Week when I was a kid.. now though we go the week after and its still a nice week to go too. :mickey:

NJDad
09-17-2010, 07:16 AM
It was a little more crowded when Jersey Week coincided with Super Soap Weekend.

Tinkerbella16
09-17-2010, 02:27 PM
It was a little more crowded when Jersey Week coincided with Super Soap Weekend.

I agree but only to the extent that DHS was veryyy crowded when they coincided. I do miss Super Soap Weekend.

JerseyDad
09-20-2010, 12:12 PM
......Jersey Week is a GREAT week to go to WDW (pssst :secret: don't tell anyone!!)

....our first trip to WDW in 2004...took place the week before Easter Sunday...and it was PACKED!! (spring break time) It almost turned me off to the whole WDW experience. We went back that same year....Oct 30 thru the 1st week of November...and it was a great time!! Low crowds...low heat (80-85 as a high in the day...lows around 65 at night)...and all the great Jersey folk :)

....plus...the Food & Wine Festival was going on...so there were great days at Epcot. The wife likes the Super Soap weekend...and to be perfectly honest...when everyone was swarming the soap-stars...many of the attractions at DHS were almost empty.

....it wasn't an issue for our daughter to be missing two days of school that week (the two teacher convention days + election day) since she's a stellar student...but now...she just entered high school...where all the grades "count"...and she just couldn't miss this year.....so...we went to WDW 3 weeks ago.:D

Aurora
09-23-2010, 04:33 PM
We went during Jersey Week (didn't know what it was then) in 2003 and the Magic Kingdom was PACKED. At about 1 p.m. one day we literally could not move down the walkway between Peter Pan and It's a Small World. We were really surprised because it was a slow time of year, but after we found out about it, we decided to avoid that week in the future.

bunkyg
09-23-2010, 04:39 PM
I wonder if the schools object to parents pulling their kids out for the entire week?

My grandchildren have been told by their teachers that it is not a good idea for them to be gone without an approved excuse. Family vacations are, unfortunately, not an approved excuse.

I personally wish the schools would go to year-round schedule and have three or four mini-breaks to accomodate non-traditional family vacations schedules.

When our kids were small we did "jersey week" almost every year and we would run into at least 3 of their teachers sometime during the week. :secret:

darthmacho
09-23-2010, 05:55 PM
With all due respect, shouldn't it be called "Joisy Week?" :D

disneydad153
09-23-2010, 07:46 PM
No one is "pulling" their kids from school for a whole week. NJ schools are closed 11/2 for election day and 11/4 & 5 for the NJ teachers convention. Students only miss 2 days of school instead of 5. This is our first year going at this time. Judging from past years, the kids really don't do any school work on the 2 days they are there anyway because the teachers are anxious for their "vacation" :mickey:

Patti
09-25-2010, 06:15 PM
No one is "pulling" their kids from school for a whole week. NJ schools are closed 11/2 for election day and 11/4 & 5 for the NJ teachers convention. Students only miss 2 days of school instead of 5.

Not all NJ school districts are closed on Election Day. Many school districts here in South Jersey are open on Election Day and closed on Nov. 4 and 5.

JerseyDad
09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
When our kids were small we did "jersey week" almost every year and we would run into at least 3 of their teachers sometime during the week. :secret:

.....I would have squealed on them!! They were supposed to be at the teachers convention in Atlantic City....working really hard to improve education....and their black-jack skills.