PDA

View Full Version : last minute trip + wasted points

andreallybadeggs
09-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Stars have aligned right or something and we have the opportunity to for a long weekend Sept. 30-Oct 3. Sadly, no studios anywhere available for thatFri. and Sat. Wanted to use up some points that were our "freebie" when we joined last year. They expire in April and not sure we'll have another opportunity.
So-- thinking I will wait list. Member Services said SSR or OKW would likely be the best bet. Know AK is large but the woman told me there is less chance of cancelations at AK than SSR or OKW. So-- here's what I need to know before I call back in the morning.
1) Would you give SSR and OKW as your 2 choices for wait list? We don't care where we stay; just want SOMETHING.
2) I did not realize that the wait list stops 7 days before the date you request so as of Sept. 23 we will not longer be wait listed, right? IF we go ahead and book other Disney lodging is it worthwhile to keep checking back those last few days; ie. does anything ever open up that close to arrival and especially for weekend lodging?
3) Guess I will go ahead and book something else on property in case DVC is a total dead end but then also need to recheck cancellation policy for disney resorts reservations. Is it 48 hours for a full refund?
4) Suppose we could borrow points from next year and book a 1 bedroom unit rather than a studio. Would our chances be any better?
Thanks for your insights. :mickey:

DizneyRox
09-13-2010, 06:36 PM
SSR is your best bet.

You can keep checking, the automatic wait list stops at 7 days.

MinnieMommie
09-13-2010, 07:00 PM
If you don't mind where you stay I would waitlist for a studio at OKW and SSR (you can have 2 waitlists at a time).

If you have the points then try for a 1 bedroom. We had to do this once when we had a last minute October trip. If there are none available you can do your waitlist as a studio and a 1 bedroom at SSR (or where ever).

I would call to check on a variety of options (studio/1bedroom and each local) frequently and continue to call after you come off the waitlist. I would also give the point chart a quick look. Some DVCs and room types within specific DVCs differ in points.

Finally at 7 days out if nothing has come through for you I would call the resorts directly. That is when some of the inventory that is held onto is released.

I hear what was recommended to you but just want to share that I have had very good luck getting into AK. It is a really large resort. Good luck! :mickey:

DizneyRox
09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
If you decide to upgrade, then just do it and cancel the wait list.

If you borrow points into this use year to upgrade, those points stay in this use year. So, continuing to look for a studio will mean nothing as you'll still probably lose points.

Just wanted to point that out.