PDA

View Full Version : Your Dining Traditions?

darthmacho
09-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Do you have a dining tradition that you simply must do on every or most WDW vacations?

If so, what are they?

If not, any idea why?

I have three traditions as of now:

1. My first tradition is not so specific, but I like to begin every vacation by eating at the home resort's sit down restaurant. So far, this is how it has gone.
1998: Artist Point, WL
1999: Maya Grill, CS
2003: Whispering Canyon, WL (We actually stayed at ASMu, but it didn't have a sit-down.)
2010: Boatwright's, POR
I can't wait to do this next time. Wonder what the choice will be?

2. Our second tradition started on our las trip, and I hope to continue it every time we visit, but on our first full day at WDW, I'd like to have breakfast at Crystal Palace as early as possible, in order to get that relatively quiet walk down Main Street and to be inside Magic Kingdom before the official opening!

3. The third tradition has been to eat at the Wilderness Lodge. No matter where we stay, the Wilderness Lodge is our second home and a must visit, so why not eat there. Whisperin Canyon has been the choice of our last two trips because we thought the kids would prefer it, but next time, maybe we'll do Artist Point, which is our favorite restaurant in all of WDW!

So what's your tradition?

Mine are sit-downs, but feel free to include quick serves and snacks too! :mickey:

SBETigg
09-13-2010, 04:56 PM
1) We have to have Casey's hot dogs on our first day/first trip down Main Street.

2) We always eat at California Grill.

3) We always try some new places.

Other than that, no dining traditions. Though Bistro de Paris might become one. It was truly amazing.

Tinkerfreak
09-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Eating at Boma our first night has sort of become our tradition because we all just love it so much that is the first place we want to eat. We have arrived around supper time on our last 3 trips so we have checked in and gone right to Boma. Then we leave there and go watch illuminations.

Narawen
09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Both of ours started the last trip, but we're repeating next month and hopefully every time after.

1- Eating at the Crystal Palace before the MK opens so we can walk down an empty Main Street and get great photos of us and the castle. Starting the day off with Pooh is wonderful too.

2- ESPN club. I love wings and these are the best I've had.

Boma had been a tradition but this is a short trip and we gave it up in favor of trying something new- Ohanas.

Jared
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
We always eat lunch at Columbia Harbour House on our first day in the parks. I order the lighthouse sandwich, which I crave throughout the year. I love hummus, and Columbia Harbour House uses fantastic bread for their sandwiches.

joonyer
09-13-2010, 05:47 PM
On most every WDW vacation we always choose to eat:

1) Dinner at 'Ohana, becuase we first dined there when our sons were little boys and had such a great time. We love the loud fun atmosphere, brings back lots of memories every time and we love meat!

2) Casey's hot dogs on Main Street right before Wishes starts.

3) Buffet breakfast at one of the parks' restaurants with a seating time before park opening. We like both Crystal Palace at MK and Donald's at AK. Love to ride EE several times (like 6 -7) before the line gets long enough to even think about needing a fast pass.

4) Dinner at either Rose & Crown (UK) or Teppan Edo (Japan) at Epcot right before Illuminations. We have alternated betwen these two places and love them both.

ltjrrich
09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Tradition #1) We usually drive down to WDW starting Saturday morning, so we typically arrive Sunday around lunchtime. After checking in wherever we're staying, my family's first dining tradition is to immediately head to the GF and have lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe.

#2) Every trip we always eat dinner at the Rose & Crown during Illuminations. They can't guarantee an outdoor table, but we've always been lucky enough to get one. I think it's been a decade since we've actually eaten inside at the Rose & Crown. This past January we almost got a table inside, but apparently there was some mixup and they gave our table to other people. The upshot was after waiting a couple of minutes we did get a table - outside - thus preserving the streak of outdoor tables. It's hard for me to imagine ever watching Illuminations without fish & chips.

pirateyankee80
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Our first night we like to eat at Biergarten. :party2:
1) Very close to the BC. :walk:
2) Fun Entertainment :clappy:
3) Great food! :beer:
4) Always a great vacation kickoff :thumbsup:

BellesRose
09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
Whispering Canyon for lunch is a must.

Beaches n Cream for dinner or ice-cream is a must.

I think the Turf Club is our new favorite place and will be tradition!

Also, doesn't matter where it's from, but a bucket of popcorn and Mickey ice-cream is tradition for me :mickey:

LiloLovesTheKing26
09-13-2010, 08:08 PM
We always eat at Ohana's on the last night!!

We must have at least once piece of Flan, Creme Brulee and Cheese stuffed pretzel from animal kingdom!!

We always try at least one new place!!

Kairi_7378
09-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Our current must do is to have dinner at the CA Grill on our last night of vacation.

disneymom2000
09-13-2010, 10:32 PM
On our first day we have to do Magic Kingdom just to get the Disney feeling and prepare for the rest of the vacation. So our first dinner is at the Castle.

Then I have to do one character breakfast at Cape May so I can hug Chip & Dale.

And we always have to try at least one new restaurant. The last visit it was Boma (which I had put off trying because I wasn't sure I could handle the spices) and now it is one of my favorites and Les Chefs de France. This next visit I am trying 5 new restaurants. I am really stretching it.:drama:

beksy
09-14-2010, 08:31 AM
We always eat at San Angel Inn at some point on the trip, Kona Cafe for breakfast and dinner, and have lunch at the castle. We also have several Dole Whip Floats throughout the trip and at least one meal with Mickey. We also like to try new restaurants.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-14-2010, 09:44 AM
We have one tradition that we've done since our first visit and that is always eating at Rainforest Cafe Animal Kingdom...it was the first TS we ever ate at Disney and remains a must do.

Something we started last time and will continue this time...we will eat a TS breakfast on the day we check out. That way we can enjoy a few hours in the park before we have to get on the road and will be full enough to wait to eat a full meal until we stop for the night.

Also, we will try at least one new restaurant on each visit.

Thanks this is a cool thread

buzznwoodysmom
09-14-2010, 10:13 AM
We have some family traditions as well.

1. We always have dinner at Ohana's. We try to always have it as our first meal on property the very first night we arrive, but when that's not an option we still find a night to eat there. A trip to WDW would not be the same without dinner at Ohanas.

2. We always have at least one character breakfast. It doesn't matter where, but we always do at least one.

3. We always try to have a meal at the resort we are staying, and often times we end up eating at all restaurants at our resort.

4. We always try at least one new place per trip.

AllDisney
09-14-2010, 11:13 AM
The must eat at places for us are:
Brown Derby
Les Chefs

We try and fit in a new dining experience each time we go. Last December we tried California Grill and it was very nice.

Our upcoming trip we are trying Raglan Road for the first time We've heard some good things about it & can't wait to try it:thumbsup:

MagicalGuest
09-14-2010, 11:23 AM
We always do MK on our first day. Check into the hotel, arrive at the park by 11:30, head to Pirates and Tiki, then have a TS lunch at the Mexican place across from Pirates (I forget the name; luckily it's always open when we're there.) Dinner that night is always at the GF — either GF Cafe or 1900 Park Fare.

Tiggerish
09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
I must have an ice cream every day I'm at WDW, and never from the same place twice. :blush: :D

We used to have a tradition of having one dinner per trip at the Concourse Steakhouse, but that's gone now.

I also try to add one new restaurant each trip. Last trip, it was Biergarten. This upcoming trip, the new restaurant will be Grand Floridian Cafe.

darthmacho
09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
What great traditions! i'm glad that I asked.

As far as snacks go, I always:

1. Get a wine and pastry at France

2. Eat a Mickey Bar at some point during the stay.:bar:

3. A Dole whip, which I learned about on Intercot! :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah, forgot snacks...gotta get the chocolate covered caramel pecan patties from the candy store at MK, churros from Mexico and pastries from France in Epcot and for my son the sour Goofy candies.....

Zawadi
09-14-2010, 03:55 PM
We like to have a bit of Oktoberfest (Biergarten) on our last night.

This year our trip will run into October as well :)

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-14-2010, 05:13 PM
First thing we do after check in is eat at the resort or rush to our dinner ressies - usually Ohana's. (Ironically, this year is the first year we won't be eating at Ohana for sake of trying new places!)

We MUST have Tonga Toast from Captain Cook's at least 1 morning. (we eat breakfast in our room because our ydd is severly allergic to eggs and we don't chance it - so dh and I sneak out early one morning while my parents watch the kids to get our TONGA TOAST!!!)

I must have Ghiardelli sundae. DH must have chocolate banana at AK. DD's must have mickey ear ice cream bars.

We pick up earl of Sandwich on our way home for the car ride and to preserve as much WDW magic as possible.

I could go on an on but, I'll stop while my thighs are ahead! haahaaaaa

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I forgot to add... Food and Wine Festival "grazing" has been a must since we started going to it! this will be our 4th year.

WDWCrazyKaren
09-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I love our dining traditions!
The first full day of the parks, we must have breakfast at Chef Mickey's. Started when the kids were little, and now even though we sometimes go without kids, we still have to uphold that tradition.

We will eat Ohana's for breakfast a few days later. We also try and get at least one dinner at Teppan Edo.

Concourse Steakhouse also used to be a must do-but alas, no more.

We're going to try a few new places this next trip too.

Then again, we don't really care-we're in Disney!

MagicalGuest
09-15-2010, 09:02 AM
For snacks, we must have ice cream at least once at Mrs. Potts at MK. We all get something different, but my fav is the root beer float. DS loves the brownie sundae.:thumbsup:

phlo8810
09-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Our traditions are as follows
the first nigh we get there flying fish cafe. We don't go to the parks the first night so it's nice to hang on the boards.
First morning chef mickeys. Kids love it.
Last night California grill. Great ending to an always great vacation.
We users to do fultons crab house at least once a trip but since they are off the dining plan we don't go there anymore.(please get on the dining plan again!!!!!)

PinkTink
09-15-2010, 01:37 PM
1. Each member of our family gets to choose at least 1 restaurant to eat at. That's always fun because it's just whatever you want the most - not a family vote. ;)

2. We attempt to always try a new restaurant each trip. We're hitting the jackpot with the one coming up as 3 of our 4 ressies are new to us and one is an old favorite - but at lunch instead of dinner.

3. We try to always make time to "eat around the world" at least once each trip. Definitely the best way to do it is during the F&W - otherwise we just eat at fewer places and split things.

I would also be very sad if I didn't get a Mickey Mouse ice cream bar and a chocolate mousse from France.

crltkcagle
09-15-2010, 01:39 PM
WE always eat at Ohana's our first night!

azcavalier
09-15-2010, 03:03 PM
We also always ask each family member to pick one restaurant to eat at. So, this means that we always eat at:

Chef Mickey's Breakfast
OHana
Coral Reef*
Le Cellier*
Teppan Edo*

I have added *'s, however, because in 15 days we break with tradition.

This trip, it's a family reunion, and we'll be there with 14 people (7 kids). So, my DW, the planner, decided that we would go with more buffets and family style restaurants to make dining easier (and more relaxing). So we're bypassing those sit-down faves for some restaurants we haven't tried for a while, like the Hoop-Dee-Do Musical Review and Garden Grill. We are going to do Akershus, because 6 of the 7 kids are little girls, so we've got to do a Princess meal. Also, the FIL requested the Sci-Fi Dine In, so that bumped another tradition.

While we'll have a blast, i'll be looking forward to renewing the traditions next year.

PinKy
09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
We always arrive around lunchtime and have lunch at Cosmic Rays.

Our last night dining we have CA Grille.

yjgirl32
09-15-2010, 03:43 PM
We have only been to Disney 2 times so far and the only thing my family asks is that we try someplace new and we eat at Coral Reef. My ds7 loves it there and hopes to someday swim in the tank. Great ?

ShanPooh
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
We must have at least once piece of Flan, Creme Brulee and Cheese stuffed pretzel from animal kingdom!!

DH would love to do a Creme Brulee tour of the World :D

DH gets the citrus swirl
DS gets a churro
I get a Dole Whip float (half pineapple juice/half sprite)
and DD happily goes along with everyone else!

Pocahontas
09-18-2010, 04:20 PM
1 - We always eat at least one dinner at 'Ohana's (2 times if we're at WDW for 7 days or more).:cloud9:

2 - We always eat one dinner at the resort that we are staying.

LandFan
09-21-2010, 07:46 PM
1) We always eat at AKL (BOMA, Jiko or now Sanaa) during the trip as we LOVE the resort and the restaurants.

2) We like to try new restaurants.

3) We always eat at Le Cellier during our trip (however, if it is 2 credits and we are on the ddp in the future, we may not - we might switch to JIKO or Narcoosee's as I see them as better uses of our 2 credits)

LandFan
09-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Oh, I forgot, I ALWAYS have to get a couple of mango pies at the CS window of Yak & Yeti so I can eat them during the week. They are my favorite things ever.

We always eat at FlameTree BBQ too...