PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Beagle or a Flat Coated Retriever dog?

BrerGnat
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
So, we are starting to think about getting a dog. We will be moving next year, and will likely end up in a spot where we can buy a house with a nice, fenced in yard. DS6 and DS4 (will be 5 and 7 when we move) both LOVE dogs, and they are both on the Autism spectrum. Neither is severely affected, but they have some behaviors that we need to consider when choosing a dog breed. Specifically, they tend to scream when upset (a loud, shrill scream) and the younger one has some very loud meltdowns sometimes. I need a dog who can just sort of "roll" with that, without getting overly anxious or violent in response.

So far, our front runners are Beagle and a Retriever of some sort. I came across Flat Coated Retrievers, because I read an article about how they are recommended with families with special needs children, owing to their easygoing and relatively calm temperaments.

DS6 LOVES LOVES LOVES Beagles. This is the kind of dog he would choose if it was up to him. However, I have concerns with Beagles tendencies to run away, be ruled by smells, and the excessive shedding. I know DS would love to be the one "handling" the dog out on walks and stuff, but he has a tendency to drop leashes if something more interesting comes along (he has "walked" our neighbor's dog a few times, with me). I worry about Beagles tendency to run off, following a smell. Although I think Beagles are cute as can be, and I like the small size, I'm not sure this dog would be right, but I really don't know.

Can anyone offer some insight? Anyone with special needs kids and dogs? What kind of dog do you have? Stories would be appreciated.

We are not "big dog" people. Well, I don't mind them, but our kids get intimidated by really big dogs (like hyper Labs and Goldens). We also really do NOT like "toy" breeds, or terriers of any kind (DS has a sensory thing with terrier fur...he likes his dogs very soft, and the hair needs to mostly lie flat).

Thanks in advance!

And, for the record, this dog is *mostly* for me. ;) I love dogs. I will be its main caregiver. DH has been very vehemently opposed to having a dog since I've known him. However, he sees our boys OBSESSION with them, and has come around, because he knows there are lots of benefits for them of owning a dog, particularly for our older son. He says once we have a house with a yard, he's all for it. :thumbsup:

RedSoxFan
09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
We have a 1 yr old yellow lab name Bella. She has to be the calmest dog in the world. She hardly barks (except if the doorbell rings). She loves people and lets my kids (who are teens) lay all over her. I'm not sure if she is just out of the ordinary or if all labs are this way. One day I was so sick with a migraine that I just laid on the couch and she never left my side.

badkitty
09-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Beagles seem too high-strung to me and I'm not familar withe the Flat Coat. In addition to the yellow lab mentioned by the PP, Golden Retrivers are a wonderful calm breed. We also had a Queensland Heeler which was the smartest dog we ever had. Her name was Figment. :)

SBETigg
09-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Beagles are so adorable. I love them! But I probably wouldn't get one due to the barking/baying issues. And the baying could be a real problem if your son is prone to making high pitched noises of his own. But who knows, maybe they would find comfort in each other that way. And there is the tendency to want to roam. I'm sure a good reliable fence that the dog couldn't dig under could help. Retrievers are usually on the big side, aren't they?

I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Sweet, smart dog. A herder, and she seems to think of her family as her flock. When she was a pup, we had to train her out of nipping our heels to try to put us in what she perceived to be the proper place, but it wasn't a problem and she learned fast. We also had a pug, most lovable dog I've ever known. The great thing about the pug (it is a toy breed, but not dainty or petite) was that he would never, ever dream of growling at or snapping at anyone. So good-natured. Great with kids. Both have the flat coat and shedding- but any breed with that hair type will shed periodically, and it can be kept up with a good regular brushing. The pug shed more than our corgi does. Pugs, with the flat face, are also prone to breathing problems and ours needed surgery to fix a collapsed trachea (common in pugs). Good luck with finding your perfect breed. You might want to check with some Beagle rescue groups and see what information they could provide.

Jasminegirlsmom
09-10-2010, 05:09 PM
We have an 8yr old beagle. We got him as a puppy after much research and discussion. He's incredibly lovable and very easy going. From my experience I would say that beagles are definitely ruled by their nose. I often say ours is a giant nose with legs. They can be taught but it will take patience. Another poster mentioned the baying, that is the biggest issue we have with our little buddy. Though he's absolutely NOT aggressive, he will howl/bay at anyone and everyone who walks by our house. Strangley he only does this when he's outside, he almost never barks or makes any noise at all when in the house, even when the doorbell rings. So you'll need to consider that for your sons and neighbors as well.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-10-2010, 05:19 PM
We had a beagle and I have to agree he was very high strung...we never could break him from jumping up on people

Disney4us2
09-10-2010, 05:47 PM
DD was in special ed since pre school with a Dx of Autism, later to be defined as auditory processing disorder.

When she was in first grade I got her a dog. We (both of us) did the research on what type of dog. She likes them all. I wanted a dog that didn't shed and is low maintanance. After seeing the Disney movie the Ugly Dachshund, she said that is what I want.

I found a breeder in the Palmdale area and we picked out a 2yr old mini doxie. It didn't work out, the dog and Jessica didn't bond. They had a litter of standard size doxies ready for adoption. We ended up with Ginger, a red, short hair standard doxie. Staqndards are a LOT bigger than the toy size mini. Ours is a good 40lbs. There was also a litter of Piebalds which are a doxie/beagle mix (cute as can be), but was told by the breeder... they follow thier noses. Nose to the ground and go go go.

I am glad we got Ginger as a puppy so she would grow up with Jessica and not know anything different. They play well together. I love having a dachshund. They are funny, and very affectionate. They love to be with people. Ginger loves to sleep under a blanket on her back. We almost got a Cocker Spaniel puppy, but I didn't want the up keep with the grooming.

I affectionately call Ginger, our 4 legged snouter. She likes to get our attention by using her cold nose on our legs.

Jessica also wants a beagle, as well as a pug, lab, retriever... if it were up to her, we would be a kennel.

Good luck with your search.

BrerGnat
09-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the insight so far.

Whatever we decide on, it will definitely be a puppy. I need the dog to grow up in our environment, so, as a previous poster mentioned "that will be all it knows."

I'd love a lab or golden retriever. However, I'm skeptical of them being "calm" because EVERY one I've ever come across is hyper as can be...but I hear nothing but great things about them.

RedSoxFan
09-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I think our lab is calm because we raised her that way. We didn't 'rough house' with her as a puppy. She knows to keep her toys on the rug and not on the hardwood floors. She is just a loving dog who likes to be with people. As a puppy, she would want you to sit on the floor so she could cuddle in your lap. Now when you sit on the floor, she puts her head in your lap and does a summersault and then wants her belly rubbed. I couldn't have asked for a better dog --- and she's our first dog!! Good luck with whatever puppy you decide to get.

BrerGnat
09-10-2010, 07:46 PM
I think our lab is calm because we raised her that way. We didn't 'rough house' with her as a puppy. She knows to keep her toys on the rug and not on the hardwood floors. She is just a loving dog who likes to be with people. As a puppy, she would want you to sit on the floor so she could cuddle in your lap. Now when you sit on the floor, she puts her head in your lap and does a summersault and then wants her belly rubbed. I couldn't have asked for a better dog --- and she's our first dog!! Good luck with whatever puppy you decide to get.

That would be the perfect scenario for us! Seriuosly. I don't want a hyper dog. My kids are hyper enough. ;)

Oddly enough, when I was a kid, ALL I wanted was a collie. For years, I wanted one. I finally got one when I was 12. My parents were all for it, since collies are supposed to be so calm and easy going. That dog was the most HYPER dog I've ever seen. Seriously, he was a ball of energy every day. Sadly, he died from cancer at only 7 years old, but we jokingly say that he lived a lifetime in those 7 years. He never slowed down! So much for our idea of having a calm dog. :D

I think discipline and training early on is going to be key. We didn't do either with our collie and that was a lot of why he behaved the way he did. I'm not making that mistake again!

bouncer
09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
We have two male black labs 12 & 4 years old. The older dog was a very trying puppy-got into everything! Once he settled into maturity he's been a wonderful house dog and hunter. The 4 year old has been a dream from the start. No chewing, no barking. Occasionally he will bark when ready to eat or someone at the door. We will look at each other in disbelief, "Did you hear that? He barked!" He's been an excellent house dog and hunter. So much so that we decided to not have him fixed right away- we will want pups from him someday.

We also had a beagle mix when I was younger. We had so much trouble with him. Also a trying puppy. Found him laying on the kitchen table under the ceiling fan-he didn't care for the hot weather we were having. :blush:Chewed things etc. Ultimately, Mom made him an outside dog. He barked A LOT! Ran away once a week almost. Love beagles but they can be a lot of work. A friend of mine had to give one of her two beagles away because they kept getting disturbance phone calls from the neighbors. They just couldn't quiet him down :(

There are a couple things to keep in mind. When you research the breed pay special attention to their need for excercise. Labs were bred for working and are used to spending their energy especially in the first few years. Now my guys lay around the house all week, swim on the weekends in the summer and hunt all season long. Labs also shed but I have heard about having them trimmed/shaved short. I plan on looking into that next spring because they will need their heavy coats for fall. When they were younger we tried to work them (walk or swim) as much as possible. Would it be possible that brushing the dog would be soothing for your boys' autism?
Good luck with your choice!

Mickey'sGirl
09-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Retrievers are fabulous dogs! Smart, loving, gentle ... the only problem is the shedding ... but that's nothing a little vacuuming can't fix!

We've had all manner of dogs over the years -- terriers (fox and Jack Russell), spaniels (Brittany's and American Water), a Greyhound, Keeshonds, Corgis, Shih Tzus, Pointers, Labs and various mutts of different sizes and shapes. Although the Brittany's are my absolute favourites, (they are the nicest breed of dog I have ever loved and would never hurt a fly) they are high energy ... which worked very well with my high energy Autistic children ... they burned the energy off together!

Anyhow, the smartest, most easily trained family oriented dogs we've ever had have been the Lab/Retriever types. They are big and they shed, but they are just so absolutely willing to go with the flow of the household and do anything in the world to make you happy. They are just fabulous doggies, and I have yet to meet the exception to that rule. All dogs are excitable if the people around them are all excited. Dogs are pretty zen, and my experience is that they will fall into your moods and energy.

I am a huge rescue fan. Every breed has a Rescue operation, and you should consider finding one for the breed you decide upon. There is a National Flat Coated Rescue organization that might be able to point you in the right direction. Not all rescue dogs are old beaten up sad cases. Our Tate was just 7 months old when he was rescued from a breeder. Our Greyhound was not quite 2, and our lab/shepherd cross is less than 3. These are all young dogs who have become incredible members of our family. There are websites like Petfinder that will help you find dogs in need of home, and they are organized by breed and location as well. Just some food for thought.

Edited to add a comment on Bouncer's post .. YES the brushing is absolutely a therapudic excercise for the boys! It also reinforces the bond with the dog. Good thinking!!

RedSoxFan
09-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I think discipline and training early on is going to be key. We didn't do either with our collie and that was a lot of why he behaved the way he did. I'm not making that mistake again!

I agree. We trained her to be calm and not be hyper in the house. She never chewed on furniture, either. The only thing she did as a puppy was when she got up in the morning she would go in the kids' room and steal a pair of socks and bring it downstairs. This went on for a couple of months and then she stopped.

BrerGnat
09-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I actually want a lab. I migh have to convince DH on that though. He's not too keen on large dogs. Labs sound like great dogs. Exercising a dog won't be an issue. I would love a dog that can go for runs with me. And, we won't get a dog unless we get a home with a BIG yard!

RedSoxFan
09-11-2010, 08:00 AM
My lab is on the small side as is my sister's lab. Bella is 60 lbs and very petite. The Vet said she has a nice 'Marilyn Monroe' figure. Oh, and the tip the Vet gave me when training her was that it was OK to put her in the crate for time-out when she got out of control as a puppy when teething. I would put her in there for about 5 minutes, let her out and she would be a completely different puppy.

BrerGnat
09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
My lab is on the small side as is my sister's lab. Bella is 60 lbs and very petite. The Vet said she has a nice 'Marilyn Monroe' figure. Oh, and the tip the Vet gave me when training her was that it was OK to put her in the crate for time-out when she got out of control as a puppy when teething. I would put her in there for about 5 minutes, let her out and she would be a completely different puppy.

Yeah, I'm steering towards a female dog, mostly because they are smaller than their male counterparts. Plus, I'm the only girl in the house. I need some company! ;) My DS6 also loves black labs. He has a black lab stuffed dog (in his "collection" of dogs) that is his second favorite after the beagle stuffed dog. I think a Lab would be a great addition to our family. We're a very active family overall. This whole process is still a year away, at least, but I am trying to gather as much info. as possible in the meantime. I'm no stranger to owning a dog, but it's a lot different owning a dog as the adult in the family vs. being a kid.

princessjojo
09-11-2010, 09:26 PM
We've had both beagles and labs among other breeds of dogs. We got our beagles, Fred and Wilma, for Christmas one year with intentions of them being primarily house dogs. So much for that... We tried to potty train them with puppy pads, paper, anything and everything...nothing worked. Before tried to crate train them and if we put anything in the crate, it was destroyed my morning. Tried to just let them be in the bathroom at night with a gate by the door. The next morning we realized we were having to replace the bathroom walls. They scratched the walls and paper destroying the bathroom. Gave them one of our extra pillows to sleep on. My mistake... I gave them a feather pillow. Do you have any idea how many feathers they put in pillows???? Let me tell you, its A LOT!!! Looked like the bathroom had been tarred and feathered. Finally we put them outside with an invisible fence. They found a way to escape thru a drain pipe that ran under the road and would go from our house to my dads under the road, bypassing the fence and the cars. Until they got brave and tried the street route and both were hit by cars.

The lab we have now, Hershey, on the same repositioned fence. He is so so so good. He is very hyper and loves to run. But we have to keep him outside most of the time because he is a bigger dog. He stays in a penned area at night and when we're away from home for long periods of time like work and especially vacations, but when we're home, he's always out. We've never had any problems with him biting anyone but he will bark. He's so funny though because he knows what he's suppose to do as far as "protecting our property." Our neighbor has dogs who would come over and up to his pen at night when they knew he couldn't get out and just bark like crazy. When we would come out, they would run far enough away so our dog couldn't cross the fence. Now when we come down our driveway, Hershey will run to the edge of the fence and bark a couple times, look at you, then come running with this look of "did I do good??" There may be nothing there, but he's going to do it... He loves to play with the kids though and whenever anyone comes over, he is always in the mix. But when he does come in, he runs for a minute, then just calms right down and follows you around. He has been the best dog, and always seems that he's missed us when we get home. He follows directions well, but again, he is always excited, thus running a lot when he first gets out. Like a kid when his mom brings home a new toy, excited. He's almost 3 so he still has some puppy in him.

Regardless though of the breed, chewing has been our biggest problem with any dog we've had when they were puppies. We've replaced decks, flower boxes, steps, furniture, and electrical wiring on our vehicles and boat. But there's going to be good and bad with every breed and I thoroughly believe a great deal of a dogs disposition is all in how you train the dog and its environment.

Good luck! Losing our lab will be like losing a member of our family when the day comes.

DizNee143
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
we have a minature beagle..and i swear we got the defective one lol..we LOVE Lucy..but shes a little off..
we have had her for now 3 years..
she does bark alot..but she never mastered the howling so we dont have to worry about that..she has her moments of massive shedding but then at other times i swear not one hair falls off her..
she is VERY lovable..and has been great with our 9 month old daughter!
she can catch a scent...at times but usually loses interest..and sometimes cant even find a bone if its sitting in front of her..thats why we joke and call her defective lol..
she can be VERY stubborn at times..but its expected of the breed..
both dogs you are thinking about..obviously both have pros and cons..whichever you end up picking...Goodluck!!:D

momef3grls
09-15-2010, 10:59 PM
How about a basset hound? My basset has to be the most easygoing dog I have ever had. She is a little bigger boned than a beagle so if the kids get a little rough she can take it. She hardly ever barks except when she welcomes us home from school or work and then it is just a single bark to let us know she was watching for us. She sleeps pretty much when we aren't around and is always ready to play.

BrerGnat
09-16-2010, 03:07 PM
How about a basset hound? My basset has to be the most easygoing dog I have ever had. She is a little bigger boned than a beagle so if the kids get a little rough she can take it. She hardly ever barks except when she welcomes us home from school or work and then it is just a single bark to let us know she was watching for us. She sleeps pretty much when we aren't around and is always ready to play.

I had a boss many years ago that had a Basset Hound. His name was Elvis. Anyway, I "dog sat" him for a long weekend once. One thing that I noticed, that really bothered me, was the "Basset Hound odor". This dog was totally clean, but he smelled very strongly, and his owner told me that it's a trademark of Basset Hounds...the "smell". I couldn't deal with it. One of my boys is VERY smell sensitive. I think this would bother him quite a bit. It's unfortunate, because I think Bassets are great dogs. :thumbsup:

DisneyRN
09-29-2010, 09:53 PM
My beagle...oh, my beagle. I can honestly say that the dog absolutely adores me and DD!

But, on the other hand, I believe that the breeder drugged her when I went to look at her. Two days later, she woke up. She has been on the move ever since...4 yrs. later.

She is very sweet, but loves attention. When people come over, she won't leave them alone. She "talks" by whining. She kind of sounds like Wheezy from Toy Story. She jumps, and loves to sleep in bed with me. No couch for her. I have tried her on Clomi-calm, and it does seem to work.

As far as shedding...she is a lemon-drop beagle, so she is primarily white. The Pledge thingie for pet hair works wonders on couch and comforter (both dark).

She is house trained/crate-trained, but has separation anxiety when I go to work now following a recent move. The clomi-calm/benadryl help that. Very social dogs, beagles.

She lets DD (and has always been so) love all over her, along with our tempermental cat.

Hope this helps! :blush:

jrkcr
10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Hi! I went to the pound to get a small dog, and came home with Baby-an 80 pd, black, flat coat retriever. She is now about 14 years old, we got her at the humane society about 4 years ago. So she came pre-trained and older. Perfect!!

She is super mellow, except when she goes in the car or when a thunderstorm comes. She hates the thunder and can "feel" a storm coming, so we give her one or two melatonin pills and they work wonderfully!! Otherwise, she will try to sit on my lap and pant/sweat/pee. Ick. In the car, she is just hyper from excitement(getting in the car may mean going to the park!) On long road trips, she gets a melatonin. You can find this in the vitamin aisle, it is a sleep aid. I wouldn't give them to a small dog-but Baby is 80+ pounds.

I have been in bed for about 5 days with a monster cold, and she has stayed right by my bed, only going down to "go" outside. But then she is MY dog and follows me around like a shadow, whines and cries when I leave her home. But also, she can NOT stay home alone, or she eats things-chocolate, soap, boxes of cereal(and the box), etc.
BAby lives with 5 cats, and one cat slaps her almost every day and Baby just puts up with it-so she is very tolerant.

When someone comes to our door, she barks one HUGE "woof", and thats all. When I talk to her in my high pitched mommy voice, she responds, trying to talk too. She can almost say "i love you". But it mostly sounds like something scooby doo would say.
Baby has very bad cataracts and can't see much below mid-eye. She accidentally bite me a few months ago. I was cutting up a tomato and she was begging, and I held out the core and said "you don't want this" and she took most of my hand in her mouth. I yelped, and she cowered-but it didn't hurt much-mostly scared me! But she couldn't see it was my hand-so now we all throw her food UP into the air and she catches it.
She also is getting bad hip joints, which is normal for many big dogs of her age. I give her one advil at night if she has had an active day. And by morning she is usually OK. Some days she stays in bed till almost noon before I force her up(i lift the dog bed/dump her out of her bed to help get her weight over her hips).
Sorry this was so long, but Baby is the absolute best dog I have ever had. Hope this helps you decide-