PDA

View Full Version : WiFi

BigG007
09-10-2010, 02:47 PM
I was wondering do any of the theme parks have wifi technology and an iphone App keeping me up to date with park info like queue times?

brad192
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
I think Verizon has an app that runs on their phones. I believe it's only for MK though, and I haven't heard much about it lately. I do remember seeing a commercial on TV for it awhile back.:mickey:

kakn7294
09-10-2010, 03:37 PM
If you have an iPhone, it will work regardless of wifi status since it works on a GPS network. If you have an iPod touch, none of the wait time apps (or any other app that requires wifi) will function in the parks. Disney does not provide wifi for guests in the parks.

The Verizon phone app works for all parks including water parks. It includes park hours, wait times, and character meeting times as well as a few other features. I found the wait times to be very accurate last month and it was great to be able to set reminders for my daughter's favorite characters.

DizneyRox
09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
If you have an iPhone, it will work regardless of wifi status since it works on a GPS network. If you have an iPod touch, none of the wait time apps (or any other app that requires wifi) will function in the parks. Disney does not provide wifi for guests in the parks.
Actually, it's not a GPS network, it's a cell network, and in AT&T's case their 3G coverage in WDW is good.

An iPhone works quite well in WDW and there are a few apps that do a decent job of wait times, or they did in the summer. Problem is, they are dependent on users updating times, NOT Disney.

Verizon is in contracts with Disney for the exclusive mobile app for WDW. I think that's the only one (outside of Disney's mobile site) that has official wait times. The mobile website only gives an idea of the wait times (crowded, etc), not the actual wait time however.

Also, as stated, Disney doesn't really offer WiFi within the parks. You may get a signal at some of the deluxe resorts.

There are a few iPhone apps that have GPS enabled apps that will direct you around the parks, etc. GPS is a positioning system, not a communications system.

WDWfanatic742
09-11-2010, 06:16 AM
If you don't have Verizon and can't use Mobile Magic or don't want to use the mobile site as the wait times are more general than exact, I'd use an app called Ride Hopper that is on the apple and android stores. It uses guests inputed times, but you can get a pretty good idea of what to expect.